• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Navagating across the pond before GPS

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was a student on the very last T-29 nav training mission, followed by a few missions in the mighty T-43. We learned how to navigate with sextant (HoMoTo), driftmeter, pressure pattern, consolan, manual Loran (used an oscilloscope to measure time difference, then plot the TD on a Loran chart), and of course, dead reckoning.

We even had a class on A-N ranges!

Navigating was a fun job back when you actually had to navigate. I'm very fortunate to have exited the nav world when I did, but I have fond memories especially of bouncing around the Pacific through places like Wake, Kwajelein, Midway, Yap, Palau, and getting to see places like Enewetok, Iwo Jima (actually got to do touch-n-gos there), Bikini.
Keep talking, this is good stuff!

Don't ever recall Ocean Station Papa in the Atlantic but Ocean Stations Charlie and Juliet were in the Atlantic with NDB's for obtaining a fix. Never heard of them providing radar fixes??

It was pretty simple, and crude but they established their position within a 10 mile square block within the 100 mile square grid. Then you called them up and gave them your estimated position. They then attempted a radar ID on your aircraft and gave your position as a bearing and distance from the ship in the designated 10 mile square grid.

Less than perfection but still a warm and fuzzy.

Spooky 2,

I think we may be talking about two different grids. When I was in SAC we used grid charts to help navigate up north because of the rapid convergence of longitude lines, thus affecting MH and TH rather quickly. Grid navigation eliminated the need for the compass to be "slaved" and allowed navigation in the DG mode. Hope this is right - I'm going back 25 years.

No, we are talking about the exact same grid nav. This is why you need to be in True at all times while transitting the NCA, just for the reason you have mentioned above. Pan Am did not have authority for Doppler in the NCA, hence the Navigator and grid nave requirement, while most other areas of the world had Doppler and Loran approvals without benefit of the Navigator, This was in the dying days of Navigators on the Boeings and DC8's

PS, what were you doing in a P3 whilst in SAC? Does Curtiss Le May know about this deviant behavior on your part?

Nav's Bermuda Triangle Story

In 1969 I flew a P-3A, it had an inertial Nav system, the ASN-42. It was build by the Singer Sewing Machine Company, they were the low bidder on their first adventure in to defense dept bidding, Needless to say it had some bad habits, like all of sudden taking off for one of the poles at Mach 2. We were on 12 hour EmCon (no electronic emissions from the aircraft) daytime mission out of the Azores, to recover in Bermuda. The 3P was listed as the primary Nav, I flew as 2P and agreed after we got off station, I would take the Nav into Bermuda to give the 3P some cockpit time. About 8 hours in to our mission I go back to take over the Nav, I notice he gives me a turnover fix, and he used the ASN-42 as his turnover point. I asked when was the last time he checked on the inertial position, he responded that he did not need to, it was working perfectly. I said I wanted to confirm our position before I accepted the Nav, so I tuned up the Loran A, not a line on the scope, all dead flat. So I took and assumed latitude of his position and computed a sun shot. The sun was not even in my field of view looking through the sextant. Holy Crap, we are lost somewhere a 1000 miles south of Bermuda. I told the PPC what was going on and said take a heading of 315, we should hit the east coast somewhere between Jacksonville and Norfolk. The sun was out, so of I took a sighting and backed into an assumed position. After sun shots every 20 minutes, we discovered we were 400 miles south of track. If you understood Cel Nav it was something you could trust. I had to reconstruct everything on that flight during the inbound to Bermuda so the being lost would not be discovered. I always think about if the 3P had continued to Nav on the ASN-42 that last calls coming from the airplane would have been "We are lost, our compasses are all screwed up and we can not find the sun" It would be the lead charter in the next edition of the Bermuda Triangle Story.

Follow the contrails of the guy heading to your destination.

Latest resources

Back