• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

National seniority list.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you were hired by an FAR 121 carrier before 1974 and lost your job you had job protections at another carrier that was hiring. This was a benefit provided by the RLA that was removed by ALPA at UALALPA's urging so UAL wouldn't have to hire any of the Frontier pilots back in 1986.

Maybe we need a Union Scale. Don't they do that in other businesses? You can work for more than scale, but not for less.

"I hear that XYZ is paying scale plus 15%"
"I heard that ABC pays 10%, but you get a monthly bonus based on under-burn!"

Maybe we could actually have a big stick when it comes to strikes.

The best way to accomplish a comprehensively good NSL-type device for this profession is to leverage it against the RLA. Go after the RLA! Either we keep working under it and we get the good aspects, or we dump it and go with the NLRB. Either way we win and it attacks the strategy set against us.

If you were hired by an FAR 121 carrier before 1974 and lost your job you had job protections at another carrier that was hiring. This was a benefit provided by the RLA that was removed by ALPA at UALALPA's urging so UAL wouldn't have to hire any of the Frontier pilots back in 1986.

Really? I missed that section of transportation history. What protections did those pilots get?

Would this include non-ALPA pilots?

Would ALPA be the keeper of the list?

What about those of us that are unemployed from an ALPA airline? Any airline?

I'm for it, but it'll never happen. Too many lawsuits to settle.

You'd have to look to other industries for guidance there, but the short answer is the airlines would have to have either a single union on the national level or at least some kind of joint agreement between unions, local and national.

I still believe it can work.

maybe your number can be determined by the Issuance of your ATP or Commercial ME.

Really? I missed that section of transportation history. What protections did those pilots get?

Frontier pilots were case in point. Lorenzo didn't particuliarly want to hire the FAL pilots he ended up with. But those with hire dates before 74 were protected and all ended up flying Captain at CAL.

maybe your number can be determined by the Issuance of your ATP or Commercial ME.

That's the point that I would support. It's also the most arbitrary. (Mine's August 1993)

Other things could be worked out like a national longevity list as opposed to a seniority list. This would entail keeping your longevity, but losing your seniority when you change jobs. Another requirement: first furloughed, first hired. When there are furloughes out there, they get first shot at jobs they apply.

Latest resources

Back