• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

National Air Cargo

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If pallets are breaking away either we have maintenance issues or we have operation issues. Fine Air found themselves in that box and came out a loser. The FAA has a long record revoking/surrender airline operating certificates. They accomplish this achievement without help from the current NTSB/Congress in which is anti-mistakes.

I remember walking the entire length of both sides of the cargo a lot of times with the flight engineers.....the good FEs anyway who liked to check the loadmasters work.

But even though everything looks buckled/snapped/tied and locked.......cables, straps, buckles and locks also fail without warning.

I would think, hopefully, that if the plane made two take-offs, tie downs were checked at least once by the pilot(s)....... But we all know that always doesn't get done as part of the pre-flight on cargo flights.

But as "fareview" said.....there are other things that can cause a sharp pitch up and then cause that stall.....

So........I guess we'll see what the investigators find.

I can understand a couple of restraining devices failing, but enough to cause a load to shift. This problem will quickly become a company problem and then a FAA problem really fast.

MRAPS are on floating pallets down the center. They are tied down with multiple straps to the cargo floor because the pallets are floating and not locked in. It is a common procedure in the loading manual.

Possible, but the main gear doors would be open if the the gear failed to retract after activation due to SYS 1 and 4 failure.
It is hard to tell from the video if the gear doors are open. It would not take an MRAP to break free only a piece to slice through the pressure bulkhead and take out the hydraulics. With the underslung engines and no elevator the pitch rate would become incredible. We did some high attitude stalls in the sim after the AF crash. I had to pull the power way back to get the nose over with all my hydraulics functioning. Time will tell what the cause is, I hope.

Someone help me out here but I've looked at the footage probably twenty times and each time it looks to me like the nose gear is in transit to down just before they hit. Am I the only one or is it just me?

Someone help me out here but I've looked at the footage probably twenty times and each time it looks to me like the nose gear is in transit to down just before they hit. Am I the only one or is it just me?

I think it is just the angle, you can't see the nose gear until the roll is close to level.

Look at the main gear. Do you see the main gear doors open? I do not. If the nose gear was completing transit, the main gear doors would still be open for some time yet.

The other theory of a complete HYD loss due to the rear bulkhead being penetrated after the gear selected up is plausible and the gear would free fall if not already locked up. HOWEVER, the main gear doors would also be open. As far as I can see they are not.

With 5 MRAPS you will need 25,800 pounds of some kind of ballast Fuel or pallets to keep the plane in trim. I was told that they would remove the turrets from the top of the MRAPS and place them on pallets in the front of the plane.

Latest resources

Back