• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NASA form question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Anyone know if the FAA can do anything if you do fill out a NASA form? Does it just keep them from taking action on your certificate. Does anything go on your record? Would this be something that could hinder ones profession down the road?

Anyone know if the FAA can do anything if you do fill out a NASA form? Does it just keep them from taking action on your certificate. Does anything go on your record? Would this be something that could hinder ones profession down the road?

Yes, the violation still goes in your file, however you are exempt from any certificate action such as a suspension.

This may help you out:
AC00-46D

Paragraph 5 will help you out.

I took a class on aviation law, and the aviation attorney explained: that you are protected action certificate action, not investigation, and entries in to your file.

(I think)

Edit:
Sweptback beat me to it.

Last edited:
How long does it take to get the receipt? I submitted one abut two weeks ago online, and was expecting the receipt by now.
Usually by the time I get the receipt in the mail. I open the letter up and go, oh yea, I remember filing this.

I don't remember a time line, but long enough to forget about getting a receipt.

One month or so for the receipt.

Print out the confirmation when you submit as that will work as well as the receipt, plus, it has the benefit of no self-incriminating words on the "event type" block. I like to put down something like "pilot fun", "student fun" or "airplane fun" on the event type line. Sarcastic, completely true, yet non-descriptive, and, I think, better than "stupid airplane tricks".

I overflew a phase inspection due to our Director of MX giving the wrong times for the phase. Should I fill out a NASA form? Will a NASA form even help?

Thanks in advance for the answers.

Hell yes.

If you EVER think you MIGHT need to fill one out, then FILL ONE OUT. Can't hurt, and just might save your ticket. Yeah, you could get your pee-pee spanked by the FAA, but you're far more likely to get a Warning Letter than a fine/suspension.

Oh ... and in the interests of safety, yadda, yadda. But mostly, your ticket.

Maybe the worst bit of advise ever given out of FI...if you fill it out with a description of the events and the FAA comes after you (think SELF-DISCLOSURE:where your company will hang you up to dry to save their butts) you show them the receipt of your NASA ASR form they cannot take certificate action (with very minor exceptions, you did it on purpose for instance) if they come after you and you can't provide the receipt you are SOL for example: Flyinig beyond inspection interval 180 day suspension ...so I'd say fill it out...then save the little paper they send back to you.

I disagree about the worst advice ever. Inspections are allowed to be flown over by a specified amount of time with certain exceptions.

Last edited:
I disagree about the worst advice ever. Inspections are allowed to be flown over by a specified amount of time with certain exceptions.
This was a 300hr phase. It could be overflown by 30hrs. The DOM had the wrong times on the status sheet. The 30hr extension was overflown.

NASA form was sent in yesterday, I hope I never have to fill one out again.

Latest resources

Back