• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

My response to SWA package!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think the topic will be more along the lines of how can SWA grease your skids to get you to come to the middle ground, I don't think SWA will grease SWAPA in any profound way.
That's very possible. The idea occurred to me early on that it might be cheaper to pay protect the AAI side of the fence than the SWA side.

Most likely, the greasing will be to both sides. We'll see.
As long as it doesn't come with motorcycle pants and a ball gag, I'm good with that. ;)

That's very possible. The idea occurred to me early on that it might be cheaper to pay protect the AAI side of the fence than the SWA side.

They are all getting raises. Pay protect would be less money.

Hey Lear...

And it begins. I was wondering how long it would take the Gen/OYS to throw you under the bus for being associated with Southwest. I guess the answer is July 10th, 2011.

Like beginning to a new Era. Welcome to club.

RF
Heh heh... ;)

If you're looking for EQUIVALENT gain, you're not going to find it. In just about every integration in the history of aviation, one side has gained more than the other, whether it's increased pay rates, a better retirement plan, what have you. In this example, yes, our MONETARY increase in career potential can't be evened out, there's just not enough money to spread throughout 6,000+ pilots.

That being said, yes, I believe the Southwest pilots should benefit from this transaction. I believe they WILL in the form of increased upgrade expectations, company growth and increased stability, increased profit sharing from increased revenue and cost synergies, etc. Those aren't my claims, those are what GK has told investors time and time again about this deal. As much as your pilots claim to have total faith in him, you also have to have total faith in his projections of future benefit.

As for what IMMEDIATE MONETARY gains SWAPA pilots may gain from this, that's something you'll have to communicate to your NC. It wouldn't surprise me if Tuesday's presentation by SWA management included some monetary incentives to help "grease the wheels" for the SWAPA pilots but, again, there's just not enough money for SWAPA pilots to receive from management that will match what AAI pilots will receive from management for their work over their Southwest career.

Yes, your union negotiated those rates that AAI pilots will work under, but your union will receive dues from us in exchange for negotiating those rates - your new hires didn't have to pay for them in advance as a condition of their employment, and neither should we. That whole argument just doesn't hold up.

In short, SWAPA pilots should definitely benefit from this merger. Protecting your career advancement under the new growth model is something your NC will work out with our MC. Additional compensation is something your NC will be working with your management on.

Anything else just isn't supported by the arbitration process. Hopefully those gains your NC negotiates with SWA management and a more profitable company (according to GK, not me) will be worth it for you to endorse what your NC sends to vote. Only you can decide whether it is or not when the time comes.

How do you know if this is monetary gain to help the SWA pilots, what if this is about monetary gain to help grease the skids for the AT pilots.

Lear Said: In short, SWAPA pilots should definitely benefit from this merger. Protecting your career advancement under the new growth model is something your NC will work out with our MC. Additional compensation is something your NC will be working with your management on.

Lear, the AAI pilots get immediate gains, the SWA pilots merely "lose nothing" how is that fair and equitbable...don't we deserve immediate gains also (not the distant hope of growth and profit sharing which OBTW the former AAI pilots will share)?

The AirTran captains are trying to jam one up in the SWA FO. For good measure they are also trying to break one off in them too. Massive pay gains immediately, then stealing the CA seats from pilots who have been at the better company longer.

Staple is the only fair outcome. Some tranny captains will be pissed, but at least it won't destroy the company.

Bob,

We live in a world where M/B rules, I am not suggesting a staple but I would expect to share in the IMMEDIATE gains the AAI pilots will achieve not just "lose nothing"...

They are all getting raises. Pay protect would be less money.
No, they're not. Several of our CA's looked at your pay calculator your union sent. They take a $12k-20k pay CUT to go from AAI 737 CA to SWA 737 F/O, and that's using numbers your union provided.

Not all years of CA's get a pay raise becoming a SWA F/O.

Latest resources

Back