Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

My Regional Airline Dream Is Gone Atp Pays Mucho!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It always amazes me how everyone knows what is best for everyone else.
What might be a "backwards" move for one might not necessarily be for someone else.

I recently left a job flying a DC-10 all over the world for my old job as a sim check airman for my previous TP airline. Slightly better QOL, similar schedule and more than twice the money on average.

Anybody got a problem with that? Because last time I checked, it was up to me to decide what was best for me.

Once upon a time, about 10 years ago, regionals used to be a big step in pay and QOL from instructing. If I still had my old instructing job today and was faced with going to the regionals , I would probably try for a local corporate gig instead. But that's just me.

Am I the only one who didn't take this thread seriously? Nobody is going back to instructing. I'm just a few steep turns shy of losin' it. The day is hopefully soon when I don't have to watch someone every minute and tell them everything they are doing wrong. $2000/month sounds pretty good from where I'm sitting, but it still ain't that great.

Check that. Instructing has its rewarding moments too. Had one today...

Not that I would be willing to do it for $24k now until forever, but it can sometimes be worth all the effort...

-Goose

Flying Barbie jets around the sky for 20 to 35 grand aint no real job in my book.
By real job I was thinking corporate or majors, what is a Barbie jet? Looking at your profile the planes you are flying are half the size of what I am flying.

A barbie jet is a WSCOD. A 727 is bigger than one of them.
I know what it is, I was just giving him crap. I love it when someone who has been in the industry and goten to the place that they want to be tries to belittle me trying to get to that same place by telling me things like I am not a real pilot, what I am flying is not a real airplane, and my job is not a real job. Everyone has to start somewhere.

Am I the only one who didn't take this thread seriously? Nobody is going back to instructing.

I instructed with a guy who had been @ a respectable (ie not mesa) regional for over 5 years. He didn't want to live in their domeciles, he didn't like what managment was doing, and he didn't like the sched. He took an instructing job with great bennies, decent pay, and is home every night. More power to him.

Plenty of other ways to make money and a living flying than 121. Go instruct, become a designated examiner, get on with one of the sim companies, fly corporate or fractional. Whatever it is, find a way to be happy while you do it.

Those of you guys that are so quick to ridicule, take a step back. Until you have walked a mile in his shoes, you need to withhold judgment.

Good luck with your decision. Hope you are happier than some of the others on this thread seem to be.

I love it when someone who has been in the industry and goten to the place that they want to be tries to belittle me trying to get to that same place by telling me things like I am not a real pilot, what I am flying is not a real airplane, and my job is not a real job.

Sorta like the jerk that made this little statement?:

One less person to compete with for a real job. Have fun doing steep turns.

I instructed with a guy who had been @ a respectable (ie not mesa) regional for over 5 years. He didn't want to live in their domeciles, he didn't like what managment was doing, and he didn't like the sched. He took an instructing job with great bennies, decent pay, and is home every night. More power to him.

Good call... I think it was more about the mood I was in that day. For the record, my so-called "dream job" isn't flying large aircraft and/or 121, so I should be more understanding of that. It's just that right now, being a little burned out on instructing, It's hard for me to imagine someone wanting to go back to it. But if it works for that person, by all means...

-Goose

Latest resources

Back