Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

My "pilot Deviation" At Dfw (don't Do This)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

inthegoo

Clearance gave us Grabe 2 RNAV pilot NAV SID in DFW,

FO and I briefed expected 18L and he entered it in FMS,

Assigned 17R by ground,

Did not change it in FMS,

"speed mode, nav mode"

BUSTED, and it's goin to the FAA

Grabe 2 17R and 18L are 2 totally different routes

Yes, we already filed ASAP's,

So friends, learn from my mistake.

-GOO

P.S. you superpilots who would never do this can keep your comments to yourselves

Thank you for bringing it to our attention. We had an email sent to all the pilots at NJA about 6 months ago bringing this same scenario up. Modern technology is great, if you know what is entered in the FMS (correctly!)

You've done the right thing so far. Just be honest about it and make it clear that you understand how bad this is and that you'll learn from it when the phone starts ringing. That's all you can do.

Not that it's not common knowledge, but this is why they began asking what your first fix was at ATL before they launched you.

So at DFW are they not doing the "verify first fix" stuff like they do at ATL and I thought I saw a memo saying they would at CLT when they got RNAVs?

Inthegoo, it is rather unfortunate that this incident happened and will be filed with the FAA but on the other hand I believe this will be a learning experience to catch/correct such mistakes in the future, thanks for sharing.

Does ATL even launch direct the fix anymore? It seems like every time I am out of there it is 255 at the marker and then departure gives you direct the fix.

Inthegoo, sorry to hear that. Hopefully the ASAP will cover you.

You jacka$$!!! How could you be so stupid!!!! ;)

In all seriousness, thank you for posting about this. What you did is a very easy mistake to make that could be made by any of us tomorrow. I would imagine that the FAA will take the verbal slap on the wrist approach and put out another memo.

It is so easy for things like this to happen at large, complicated, busy as hell airports. Just motivation for us all to never let our guard down....

Clearance gave us Grabe 2 RNAV pilot NAV SID in DFW,

FO and I briefed expected 18L and he entered it in FMS,

Assigned 17R by ground,

Did not change it in FMS,

"speed mode, nav mode"

BUSTED, and it's goin to the FAA

Grabe 2 17R and 18L are 2 totally different routes

Yes, we already filed ASAP's,

So friends, learn from my mistake.

-GOO

P.S. you superpilots who would never do this can keep your comments to yourselves

I did something similar at another airport. Got the LOC from the FAA. Thought everything was ok. Found out later that the LOC might be the main reason I have not gotten a call from a carier I have been trying to get on with. Worst part is that I told them about the LOC even though it is more than two yrs old now and they are holding it against me. Sucks

I did the ASAP , asap but you will still probably get a LOC.

At AE they are VERY big on making sure your RNAV stuff is correctly loaded since DFW is now full swing into RNAV departures. Some thoughts/suggestions came to my mind during my recent recurrent..........

1. ATC should always include RNAV SID and DEP RWY on PDC's/Voice IFR clearance deliveries.

2. Crews do not load an anticipated RNAV SID/RWY into the box, instead, we all wait until the actual SID/RWY is assigned by ATC. I would think that if this became the norm in Opspecs everywhere that the frequency of similar deviations would drop.

3. And of course, ATC shall assign the RNAV SID/RWY no later than initial contact for taxi out. If, at a later time, ATC changes either of the above, we, the flight crew, bring the aircraft to a stop right then and there and make sure our FMSs properly reflect the appropriate change (shouldn't take more than a minute). Or, of course, just say "unable."

BTW, we were told in recurrent that DFW Tower stopped doing the verfication of first fix because it took the controllers from their primary responsibility, which was to constantly make sure that the correct aircraft were on the correct (7) runways. Fair enough. I just think that a system at DFW to assign RWYs based on DEP gates might help solve the problem. This is what they do at ATL and it seems to work just fine there.

Latest resources

Back