My First Solo

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

minitour

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I finally did it...I got out of the plane.

That had to be the most nerve wracking .6 of my life...but now that its over I'm glad I got out when I did.

I'm still not really sure how I knew he was ready to go...maybe it was the great recovery on the bounce that day...or the go around when I was thinking "half a heartbeat and we're going around" or the complete calm and control he seemed to have.

Either way, it all means my "little ones" are growing up. My next one should be sometime this weekend...EEK!

Anywho, just wanted to say thanks to those that offered advice in the past. I finally feel like I'm teaching something other than how to rely on me...thanks!

-mini
[/FONT]

Do what I used to do ...... when it's time for you to solo someone, tell them it's gonna cost 'em two packs of smokes and a bottle of whiskey (even if you don't smoke or drink).......get out of the plane and light up......take a shot for each landing (two if it looked painful)........worked every time.......no grey hair....in fact, all my hair just fell out :beer:

congrats...it's definitely a good feeling when you can teach them how to fly the thing, and then watch them do it successfully alone....

Flechas said:
...it's gonna be that scary everytime!!!
Say it ain't so! I can't take that anymore!

indianboy7 said:
...it's definitely a good feeling when you can teach them how to fly the thing, and then watch them do it successfully alone....
Word! That had to be the best feeling since passing my initial CFI...quite cool.

Thanks guys!

-mini (closing in on 3k)

minitour said:
Say it ain't so! I can't take that anymore!

I soloed a lot of people, and I never got relaxed about it. I was confident my students were gonna do a good job, but it's your ass on the line, and you are not there to save it!!

That being said, soloing somebody is one of the more rewarding experiences as a CFI, that's when you see the product of your work (Either good or bad).

Keep up the good work!

Flechas

If you think watching them go around the patch is bad, wait until you sign them off for there solo x-country. Good luck, and make sure ALL YOUR PAPER WORK IS IN PERFECT ORDER EVERY TIME.

Flechas said:
I soloed a lot of people, and I never got relaxed about it. I was confident my students were gonna do a good job, but it's your ass on the line, and you are not there to save it!!

Flechas

hehe...that's what the whiskey and lucky strikes are for :pimp:

Scared me to death every time I got out of the plane. We used to solo people from a little towered airport, and the controllers would let us go up in the tower adn watch. About half the time I would just sit at the base of the tower, so I couldn't see the runway, and smoke...

Wait 'til they're a couple of hours late from a solo XC. I had one guy almost fly to Mexico (long story, but he got reaaaaly lost and ended up in Del Rio.) He was only like 4 hours late. At least he had enough sense to buy some gas and he found his way back without too much difficulty.

Latest resources

Back