• NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.

My First Solo

minitour

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I finally did it...I got out of the plane.

That had to be the most nerve wracking .6 of my life...but now that its over I'm glad I got out when I did.

I'm still not really sure how I knew he was ready to go...maybe it was the great recovery on the bounce that day...or the go around when I was thinking "half a heartbeat and we're going around" or the complete calm and control he seemed to have.

Either way, it all means my "little ones" are growing up. My next one should be sometime this weekend...EEK!

Anywho, just wanted to say thanks to those that offered advice in the past. I finally feel like I'm teaching something other than how to rely on me...thanks!

-mini
[/FONT]

indianboy7

I'm Scerrrrd!
Total Time
Do what I used to do ...... when it's time for you to solo someone, tell them it's gonna cost 'em two packs of smokes and a bottle of whiskey (even if you don't smoke or drink).......get out of the plane and light up......take a shot for each landing (two if it looked painful)........worked every time.......no grey hair....in fact, all my hair just fell out :beer:

congrats...it's definitely a good feeling when you can teach them how to fly the thing, and then watch them do it successfully alone....

minitour

Flechas said:
...it's gonna be that scary everytime!!!
Say it ain't so! I can't take that anymore!

indianboy7 said:
...it's definitely a good feeling when you can teach them how to fly the thing, and then watch them do it successfully alone....
Word! That had to be the best feeling since passing my initial CFI...quite cool.

Thanks guys!

-mini (closing in on 3k)

Flechas

Total Time
$$$$$$
minitour said:
Say it ain't so! I can't take that anymore!

I soloed a lot of people, and I never got relaxed about it. I was confident my students were gonna do a good job, but it's your ass on the line, and you are not there to save it!!

That being said, soloing somebody is one of the more rewarding experiences as a CFI, that's when you see the product of your work (Either good or bad).

Keep up the good work!

Flechas

$$$4nothin

Total Time
9000+
If you think watching them go around the patch is bad, wait until you sign them off for there solo x-country. Good luck, and make sure ALL YOUR PAPER WORK IS IN PERFECT ORDER EVERY TIME.

indianboy7

I'm Scerrrrd!
Total Time
Flechas said:
I soloed a lot of people, and I never got relaxed about it. I was confident my students were gonna do a good job, but it's your ass on the line, and you are not there to save it!!

Flechas

hehe...that's what the whiskey and lucky strikes are for :pimp:

atrdriver

Living in Paradise
Total Time
5000+
Scared me to death every time I got out of the plane. We used to solo people from a little towered airport, and the controllers would let us go up in the tower adn watch. About half the time I would just sit at the base of the tower, so I couldn't see the runway, and smoke...

pilotmiketx

Registerd User
Total Time
oodles
Wait 'til they're a couple of hours late from a solo XC. I had one guy almost fly to Mexico (long story, but he got reaaaaly lost and ended up in Del Rio.) He was only like 4 hours late. At least he had enough sense to buy some gas and he found his way back without too much difficulty.

aperson

Total Time
Congrats. I was some what lucky with my first solo sign-off, the lady already had her helicopter PPL(still don't know if it really helped that much). Just wait until those solo x-c's, they take way longer then you think.

gkrangers

college = debt
Total Time
some
I was late for my long solo xc...my instructor was calling the local tracons and rapcons looking for me....

Since then I've understood the "time to spare, go by air" mantra.

Last edited:

Stifler's Mom

MILF...MILF...MILF
Total Time
I remember my first solo....I was 13 and found a copy of Playboy in my Dad's dresser.....Ooops, wrong bulletin board. :erm:

ePilot22

BuyTheTicket~TakeTheRide
Total Time
nfinit
Stifler's Mom said:
I remember my first solo....I was 13 and found a copy of Playboy in my Dad's dresser.....Ooops, wrong bulletin board. :erm:

:laugh: Thank god for Hugh!

Anyway Congrats Mini!

I haven't soloed my first student yet, but before I do I think I'll invest in Phillip Morris stock!

AA717driver

A simpler time...
Total Time
+/-13k
ePilot22--Your avatar should be a recruiting poster for FFDO's! :D TC

ePilot22

BuyTheTicket~TakeTheRide
Total Time
nfinit
AA717driver said:
ePilot22--Your avatar should be a recruiting poster for FFDO's! :D TC

Yeah, it is! I found it on the TSA website!

Actually I don't think the government would really want Hunter Thompson with a gun at the controls of an aircraft, but then again...........

Notice the chrome plate shotty behind the yoke. Ouch!

cforst513

Giggity giggity goo!!!
Total Time
i soloed at like 9 or 10 hours... was i THAT good, or did my instructor (since he was leaving for airnet) suddenly stop caring...???

gkrangers

college = debt
Total Time
some
cforst513 said:
i soloed at like 9 or 10 hours... was i THAT good, or did my instructor (since he was leaving for airnet) suddenly stop caring...???
Option #2 most likely. ;)

Did you focus solely on takeoffs and landings in all ur 9 or 10 hours of dual? Or was other stuff mixed in as well?

Fly_Chick

Total Time
~1300
cforst513 said:

Maybe your instructor was THAT good!