• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

My entire outlook on SWA has changed.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Chase, I think your post says a lot about the difference between ALPA and SWAPA. ALPA tries to represent the entire airline piloting profession to the benefit of everybody (including the LCC carriers that have been able to piggy back on the gains ALPA has made). ALPA is not perfect either, but is in fact responsible for the gains we all benefit from.
SWAPA appears to think it's them against ALPA for survival. It appears SWAPA seems to think any attacks on ALPA is somehow good for them. A lot of SWA folks on here really seem to think the only way they can get ahead is by putting others down or attacking the institution that is responsible for fighting for the career we all have chosen and has made it what it is.
We all just want to fly airplanes, go home to our families and live our lives as we see fit. It's pretty sad the whole "warrior spirit" let's kick some ass mentality that SWAPA has championed.

ALPA tries to represent the entire airline piloting profession to the benefit of everybody.......

1. Republic/Northwest. Redbook/Greenbook
2. TWA/Ozark
3. TWA/American. DFR
4. Pan Am Cannabilized with pilots going via aircraft they were on, not seniority
5. Midwest/RAH thing of beauty
6. Frontier/RAH. Abortion of epic proportions
7. USAIR/America West. Mayhem
8. Delta. What's the name of the new pilots union being considered?
9. United/Continental. Proceeding at the pace of Obamas Budget Plan.

Any of you guys remember ALPA's response to any Commuter airline back in the 70's or early 80's requesting representation? I think it went something like this.......F$&@ck Off!!!

Yep...ALPA .....all for one and one for all..

Danny Boy...take your hate for SWA and SWAPA with your bottle of wine and go back to drinking in the basement. Your knowledge of ALPA history is stunningly delusional. Or you are just drunk.

Actually, I can name at least three commuter airlines represented by ALPA in the late 70's: Prinair, Dorado Wings and Metro Airlines. I'm sure there were more. Also, Frontier was represented by the FAPA not ALPA. Please keep your ALPA hating factual.

3 tiny commuters isn't exactly a monopoly. The original Frontier was ALPA. Many of those guys went to the New Frontier and didn't want any part of ALPA. Secondly, I was referring to ALPA standing up for the Midwest guys in the Frontier/RAH abortion. Tell me how that is working out for them. It isn't. Please keep your ALPA delusions factual.

Out of my partial list of major ALPA debacles you came up with Prinair,Dorito Wings and Metro as your counter argument?

That's like Obama arguing it's not true that zero jobs were created in August because he can prove he hired an extra caddy for his vacation in Martha's Vineyard.....

(Sarcasm on)
Sacha, do not distract us with facts! We hate facts clouding a good argument about how great ALpA is!
(Sarcasm off)

ALPA tries to represent the entire airline piloting profession to the benefit of everybody.......

Seems they all made out OK in the end. Just talked to 1985 NWA buddy. He couldn't be happier.
2. TWA/Ozark
Reminds me of what SWA/SWAPA is doing to the AirTran pilots.
3. TWA/American. DFR
A very black day for ALPA. TWA pilots deserve some level of recompense.
4. Pan Am Cannabilized with pilots going via aircraft they were on, not seniority
Isn't that what you want to do to the AirTran 717 pilots?
I'm not overly familiar with that situation. I believe Midwest was in bancruptcy so options would seem to be very limited.
Again, not represented by ALPA.
Because of ALPA? Or because the USAir pilots continue to hold on to their completely unreasonable demands for seniority integration? Now operating under USAPA for over 3 years...
I believe it's called the Delta Pilots Association. We'll see how far it goes.
Proceeding none the less. And neither side is cowering in fear of what the almighty OZ might do to them if they don't knuckle under.

Any of you guys remember ALPA's response to any Commuter airline back in the 70's or early 80's requesting representation? I think it went something like this.......F$&@ck Off!!!
I listed 3 from immediate memory from over 30 years ago. I know there were more.

Danny Boy...take your hate for SWA and SWAPA with your bottle of wine and go back to drinking in the basement. Your knowledge of ALPA history is stunningly delusional. Or you are just drunk.

You seem so angry and full of hatred. Plus, you are not very polite. I can easily envision you sitting at your keyboard turning purple and spewing spittle every time anyone posts something positive about ALPA. I've been non-union, in-house, and ALPA. My experiences with ALPA at two different carriers have always been positive. Your ex-EAL? Get over it already. It was 23 years ago. We've got lots of ex-EAL guys here and they all seem very happy. Many of them are ALPA volunteers here and have held leadership positions.

I bear no ill will towards SWA/SWAPA. It's truly a unique situation in the airline world and one to be admired. As an ex-EAL guy how well do you think you would have fared under Borman and the Lorenzo using the SWAPA approach? Here at FDX we have one of the more benign managements around and they ate us for lunch when we were in-house.
The APA doesn't seem to be faring too well and the IPA, while very unified gave up tens of millions in concessions to an extremely profitable company and they still furloughed over a hundred pilots. It would seem to me that SWAPA's "success" has a lot more to do with SWA senior management than the name of your bargaining agent.

I guess all those toys you buy with your big salary really don't make you very happy.

If SWA continues to grow and be profitible in years to come the two groups will learn to get along and the vast majority will be content. If things go south not so much. Well, you can always blame ALPA if SWA tanks.

It was a beautiful day operating my MD-10 into MEM this morning. I'm incredibly thankful to be at FDX and happy that ALPA is my bargaining agent.

I wish the very best for SWA and AirTran pilots. I just wish the level of civility could have been a little higher.

Have a nice day!:)

Last edited:
Wow. The arrogance of some of the Southwest pilots on here is simply amazing.
Your fall from grace will be a painful one. Just remember the same guys you're stepping on and putting down will be the same ones you will look up at when you hit rock bottom.

2. TWA/Ozark
3. TWA/American. DFR

SWA/Muse
SWA/Morris
SWA/F9
.....at least you guys are treating the AirTran pilots like the equal partners they are!
Sascha, you sound full of hate and anger, BUT......you really can't judge someone by a few posts on an internet board so maybe you aren't!

Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they hate SWA. Saying that sounds like a little kid who tells their parent "you hate me" when they get a time out. Right up their with some SWA guys saying "your jealous of us!" just because someone makes a comment about SWA they don't like.
Finally, you sound like a big Fox News/Glen Beck wannabe with your liberal use of childish insults to make a point. Just an observation dude, but I most certainly don't hate SWA.

I've got to ask why? Why the vitriol towards Southwest?

I think I've made that clear...its the arrogance demonstrated by the SWA f/os as they try to staple 650 of their new coworkers and steal their seniority.

Wow. The arrogance of some of the Southwest pilots on here is simply amazing.
Your fall from grace will be a painful one. Just remember the same guys you're stepping on and putting down will be the same ones you will look up at when you hit rock bottom.

And there you have it.

Latest resources

Back