My CRJ Headset review

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bandit317

In the interest of this popular topic, I figured I would share my latest headset trials in the CRJ. My quest was for a lightweight headset that does not clamp my head narrower, doesn't interfere with sunglasses, doesn't mess up my hair, won't make me go deaf, or broke. I don't mind things in my ear as I can wear earplugs all day, and sometimes do when I sleep. My budget was under $500, and I started on the low end. First off, there is a big difference in noise levels between the CRJ200, and the 700 and 900. What works in the 200, may not work well in the 700/900, due to the high noise level of the recirc and cooling fans. The 700/900 noise level rivals the ERJ.

First up was the Sennheiser HME 43-K Passive Headset which has something called "active guard". I was anxious to try this headset as it looked like a great alternative to the Telex 750, but with more features. For only $175, it looked like a steal. It featured a microphone sensitivity adjustment, high/low volume switch, and active guard which automatically decreases the earpiece volume when a sudden "burst" of noise is sensed. I figured this would be great for the cabin call chime which is very loud. This headset worked ok in the CRJ200, and unusable in th 700/900. In the 700/900, the ambient sound is so loud that ANY voice transmittion (intercom or ATC), resulted in the Active Guard kicking in and muting the sound. It resembled a cell phone in a poor reception area.....Can you hear me now? hello? what?

Pros: Very lightweight, well padded, comfortable, compact, inexpensive, mic gain control, reversable. In a quiet jet, a real winner.

Cons: Active Guard feature working against you, not able to turn off Active Guard.

Result: Sent back.

I next purchased the Quiet Technologies Auri Pro. I thought this would be it - no headband to worry about, small, and decent price ($329) compared to the Mach 1 and Clarity Aloft. Once again, ok in the 200, but not so ok in the 700/900. The microphone picks up a lot of the noise, but can be adjusted. The mic boom, however, is very unstable. I found myself having to hold the microphone to keep it from dropping below my mouth every time I spoke. It came with a headband similar to the Clarity Aloft that helps hold the mic. Unfortunately, I found this set up to be uncomfortable as it rubbed the outside of my ears. Also, the mic is set up to be worn on the right side. I prefer the mic on my left, as I sit in the left seat. This way, I can just pop out the earplug on my right ear to talk to the FA or FO if he doesn't have his headset on. I didn't like the mic on the right, and switching it to the left caused the ear pieces to rub against my inner ear. Custom earmolds will solve the problem of mic instability, but I didn't want to invest another $80 when the mic is still on the right.

Pros: Lightweight, will not mess up hair, volume control with stereo/mono switch, doesn't take up any room in flightbag.

Cons: Better suited for FO since mic is on right, custom earmolds a must as the foam earplugs don't stay in tight due to the weight of the ear pieces which makes the noise level high. Mic stability issues unless using custom earmolds.

Result: I discovered the inside of my ears are sensitive, sent back.

Third try was the Telex 850. I figured you get what you pay for and went ahead and spent the $495. Very impressive headset. Loved the case it came in, very soft/plush ear cushions, reversible mic with gain control, active noise canceling without batterries. Worked great in the 200, fit great in my flight bag. I found a winner, until I used it in the 900. The 12db noise reduction is barely noticeable in the 900, and any reduction in noise was cancelled out with the mic picking up the ambient noise and sending it to my ears. I also noticed that with the longer flights in the 900, it became uncomfortable. Apparently, the outside of my ears are very sensitve as well.

Pros: Lightweight, great design, active noise canceling without batterries, plush ear cushions, compact, awesome case, reversible, mic gain control, loudness switch, works well in the CRJ200.

Cons: Doesn't work well in the CRJ 700/900 (12db just not enough), irritated my ears on long flights (they were beet red and sore).

Result: I really wanted to keep this headset, and tried to find every reason to. But the comfort factor (for me) made me send it back :(.

Next up was the Clarity Aloft. I had avoided this headset because of the price of admission. But, at this point, what's another 5 bucks. Received it and was amazed at the size of the case for such a small and lightweight headset. It's the size of a tissue box. Anyway, I was impressed with the workmanship. Excellent design, comfortable ear plugs, small ear speakers that don't touch any part of my ear when inserted, very stable mic design. My first flight with it was in the 200. Excellent noise reduction, excellent audio quality, MP3-cell phone jack, volume control, stereo/mono switch. After a long flight the top of ear was a little sore, but after a slight adjustment, no problem. When the flight attendant dinged the cockpit, my ears practically exploded. I quickly learned to keep the in-line volume control at the mid point or below, and to use the audio panel volume knobs instead. Flying the 700/900 was no different. Excellent noise reduction using the supplied ear tips, and the mic was as quiet as a good Dave Clark - very acceptable at keeping the background noise from being too anoying. My ears have gotten more used to the headband and don't get as sore. I figure I can alway add some padding if I need to. I like this headset a lot. :)

Pros: Lightweight, excellent design, well made, durable cords, excellent clarity, great mic, comfortable. Should work equally well in the ERJ.

Cons: HUGE case, can't rest your head against the headrest without disturbing headset, expensive replacement eartips. If you don't like putting earplugs in your ears, you won't like it.

Result: So far, it's a keeper. I can live with the few cons, and will find a smaller case better suited for a flightbag.

Hope this helps those of you considering any of these headsets.

500 would of been a great Down Payment on the Bose X. ever tried em?

Next up was the Clarity Aloft....After a long flight the top of ear was a little sore

good post. i'm probably going to order one of these (using telex 850s in the C550 now) but always wondered if there was any problem with wearing sunglasses with these. did the part of the headset that hooks over your ear interfere with the arms of your shades?

good post. i'm probably going to order one of these (using telex 850s in the C550 now) but always wondered if there was any problem with wearing sunglasses with these. did the part of the headset that hooks over your ear interfere with the arms of your shades?

The 850's were great with sunglasses, as you probably know. The Clarity Aloft piece that fits over the ear is very thin, so the sunglasses go on after the headset is on. They arm of the sunglasses just sits ontop of the Clarity Aloft ear wire. Can't tell the difference.

500 would of been a great Down Payment on the Bose X. ever tried em?

I've tried them (borrowed) for a leg, but I don't like my hair getting messed up (lol) and the pressure they put on sunglasses. Oh yeah, the $1000 is a lot also.

I tried the Clarity Aloft and didn't like it for the same reasons as bandit317. I have been using the Lightspeed Mach 1 with custom ear molds for the past year in a Learjet 24, Falcon 20 and Learjet 45. It has worked very well. I recently tried someones Bose Quiet Comfort 2 with UFlyMike adapter and mine was noticeably quieter. The molds seal out every bit of noise.

Quite Comfort 2's with the Mike adapter. I've tried many headsets and for the money this is the way to go.

Just one mans opinion.

try the light telex anr..no batteries, extremely comfortable, and good clarity on both sides of the mic!

Latest resources

Back