• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

My CRJ Headset review

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Try the Plantronics MS-50. Get an earmold made, Y tubing, and extra acoustical tubing. Use the bulb from the set add the Y connector and extra tubing for the other ear. Works great.

Plantronics MS-50 = $50 new in the box from Ebay
Ear mold = $45 from any audiologist
Y connector, extra tubing = free with earmold
Total cost = less than $100 for an in the ear set, proven reliability, works well in all crj's.

500 would of been a great Down Payment on the Bose X. ever tried em?

The Bose headset is great for the low freq noise, but it doesn't help much with the high freq wind noise of an RJ. Although they are very light weight, you can get hot spots. It is a good headset, but if I'm going to pay $1000 then I expect it to be perfect.

I don't get why he's saying the 700 is so loud. You cruise around in that thing with the recirc fans on? Turn them off...

The Bose headset is great for the low freq noise, but it doesn't help much with the high freq wind noise of an RJ. Although they are very light weight, you can get hot spots. It is a good headset, but if I'm going to pay $1000 then I expect it to be perfect.

The majority of the noise in the cockpit of the CRJ is noise from the packs and display fans. Most of this noise is below 500 hz and is dealt with quite well by the ANR. With the Bose X a CRJ cockpit is dead quiet. Can't say the same about the ERJ though.

It was mentioned above somewhere. The plantronics MS50 works great. I paid 70 bucks for mine new on ebay and it came with a case full of different sized eartips (we called them eardicks due to the shape). experiment to find the right size for your head holes(may be different than you initially think) and it works great in the CRJ. Even with no earplug in the other ear. I do suggest that you buy plantronics' background noise suppressor for the mic tube, though at another $20.

weighs a few ounces and won't even mess up your spikey hair. saves you hundreds, too.

If you leave the recirc fans on in the 700, it is much much louder than the 200....

It's the display fans that are loud. The recirc fans really aren't bad. You can get away with turning either or both off as long as the packs are on, but I'm not sure what the long term consequences are. I put that in the "creative piloting" category.

Ok, first there is NO WAY a CRJ or ERJ comes close to being as loud as the Saab I fly... I have gone from headset to headset (outside of the Bose) to include Stratus 50Ds (amazing ANR but way to big) My end result for comfort and noise control was and is the Clarity Aloft. Unreal clarity and I do not notice I am wearing them after the first two minutes.

The only draw back is the cost of the plugs for your ears... But hey I can make a pack last for about 6 months.

I would recommend them for anyone!

Draw back like I stated is the cost of plugs plus if you don't like putting things in your ear canal. The US army helicopter pilots also use them--standard issue the company told me.

I too will vouch for the Clarity Aloft. I flew with earplugs under "ol' faithful" (Telex 750) for almost 6 years. Had to break down and buy something new, and went with Clarity Aloft. I was on the 700 at the time, and am now on the 200 and the things work beautifully. Nothing I ever flew with cancelled out as much ambient noise as these - when the earpieces are inserted correctly. My only caution is they are more delicate, and require more patience putting them on for example. It is not as quick a process as slapping on some 750's. However for me, the reward is well worth it. You don't realize how tiring it is to be bombarded with a lot of ambient noise and 3x3 communications all day until you have a good headset.

Latest resources

Back