• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

My Concern if ALPA comes to SkyWest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Stick with SAPA. It's really the best. Especially for aspiring chief and asst chief pilots. Looks like another one is getting his own desk. Lessee, how many is that now?

You also have to love all of management's weekly "wraps" we are now getting not to mention the fancy new letter from SAPA. Of course those of us that have been at SkyWest for more than a week and are past the "it's different and better here, I'm just happy to be here" phase have seen it before. As far ALPA not giving SkyWest another chance, we were told that last time when the vote missed by less than 10 votes. I'm just wondering if the SkyWest pilot group will ever be something other than 30% "We need a union!", 30% "No we don't!" and 40% "Gee fellas, I just don't know about this ALPA stuff. I mean what will it do for me? I just don't think we need that here at SkyWest. In the meantime though I've applied to every major unionized carrier I can think of and will gladly pay dues there."

My main concern if SkyWest goes with ALPA is the cost. In addition to 2% of my paycheck (now nearly $1000 a year), I'm concerned that ole Brad will try to take away Performance rewards (for most pilots... 1000 to 3000 per year). Furthermore, I think we'll lose pay for wx/mx cancellations amongst other things.

In return, what is ALPA going to do for me? The FO that called telling me to send in the card the other day mentioned that they'll pay us if we go on strike - just like the paid comair pilots for 49 days. What's ALPA doing for COMAIR guys now? Looks like they're gonna be gone soon...

Lastly, what's YOUR vote going to be? ALPA or No?

Oh come on man! Bringing in ALPA will improve your pilot group morale to the highest it could ever be!!! Don't believe me, ask the pilots at Pinnacle, Mesaba, comair, piedmont, asa, northwest, and delta. Morality is at an all time high! There is nothing wrong in the world. Plus we have our valiant leader Dwayne Worthless who claims that the 72 airplanes in the RFP for northwest are "already built and painted and are being hidden somewhere ready for delivery."

Your airline ,whom has never laid off anyone even after September 11th, is a perfect choice for alpa as they will definitly save you from certain doom!

Oh come on man! Bringing in ALPA will improve your pilot group morale to the highest it could ever be!!! Don't believe me, ask the pilots at Pinnacle, Mesaba, comair, piedmont, asa, northwest, and delta. Morality is at an all time high! There is nothing wrong in the world. Plus we have our valiant leader Dwayne Worthless who claims that the 72 airplanes in the RFP for northwest are "already built and painted and are being hidden somewhere ready for delivery."

Your airline ,whom has never laid off anyone even after September 11th, is a perfect choice for alpa as they will definitly save you from certain doom!

Did anyone else ever notice how all the low time junior guys seem to have all the answers and know it all?

Did anyone else ever notice how all the low time junior guys seem to have all the answers and know it all?

I'm more bewildered by the number of pilots that blame their union for their airline's woes as opposed to holding their management teams responsible.

As of right now, my union is fighting to prevent me from having to take a 13% paycut. Without my union, my management team would have forced that paycut on me, resulting in a loss of approximately $5,000 per year. Seems to me that my 2% has saved me approximately $5,000 in the last 12 months.

That same union could have given the SKW pilots more money in their paychecks by negotiating a separate payscale for the different airframes, as opposed to the "temporary 18-month" agreement, that SKW management has reneged on.

Last edited:
That same union could have given the SKW pilots more money in their paychecks by negotiating a separate payscale for the different airframes, as opposed to the "temporary 18-month" agreement, that SKW management has reneged on.

You mean the same union that hasn't gotten a contract at ASA in over 4 years?

It seems as though ASA needs SkyWest to go union more than SkyWest does.

You mean the same union that hasn't gotten a contract at ASA in over 4 years?

It seems as though ASA needs SkyWest to go union more than SkyWest does.

Always the pessimist aren't you?

It's actually the same union that has kept ASA management from forcing a paycut on its pilots for the past 4 years.

It may seem that this union drive at SkyWest is more about ASA than SkyWest, but in reality it is about an opportunity for both groups to stand together and stop this whipsaw now.

Latest resources

Back