• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

My Concern if ALPA comes to SkyWest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You mean the same union that hasn't gotten a contract at ASA in over 4 years?

It seems as though ASA needs SkyWest to go union more than SkyWest does.

Right up until ASA caves, or strikes.....then the SkyWest pilots will need a union much more than ASA.

Will you personally fly struck work? What will happen to you if you refuse?
OK, let's say ASA lacks the stones to do it......

What then, do you think JA, BH, etc won't come to you with new competitive rates? How will you defend yourself against this?

You are right, a union would be of no use to SkyWest pilots......

Did Skywest fly stuck work during the Comair strike?

Scott

Not from what I recall. However, this is much different. SkyWest Inc. did not stand to lose a dime due to comairs strike. An ASA strikewould be crippling to SkyWests bottom line. So much so, that the SkyWest pilots may be required by mgmnt to work those flights. CanSAPA keep you from scabbing, and all that comes with it?

Not from what I recall. However, this is much different. SkyWest Inc. did not stand to lose a dime due to comairs strike. An ASA strikewould be crippling to SkyWests bottom line. So much so, that the SkyWest pilots may be required by mgmnt to work those flights. CanSAPA keep you from scabbing, and all that comes with it?

SkyWest doesn't have enough pilots to staff their own flights let alone ASA's flights.

I think the ALPA drive at SKYW is a great thing, now we're talking pay again, and getting free carrots and dip.

But seriously, if SKYW pilots think we need a union, why just bite the first worm? People tend to say that "Because of ALPA, we have this and that" well, thanks ALPA. I'll take it for free. If legal protection is what you need, call Jacoby and Meyers and get them on staff. Other than that, those stupid magazines and stickers are mere coasters, and not worth the 2% they cost. I'm afraid pilots are going to make the vote on a whim, without reading into ALPA's history in the regionals.

Can SAPA keep you from scabbing, and all that comes with it?

Some pilots say it's hard to distinguish between SAPA's leaders and management so I wouldn't count on much protection. If told to fly struck work or be fired one better do the right thing. I'll take my chances being unemployed before crossing that line. If enough pilots react the same way there is nothing to worry about. They're short as it is.

Boy, I bet if Atkin is reading these posts he is grinning ear to ear! He is getting EXACTLY what he wants! Keep that false sense of security and well-being to placate his SKW boys. Enjoy it!

One thing that has to be realized is that ALPA is like any big union, it need to focus on where the largest dues come from. The most successful of the legacy carriers during all this time has been American Airlines which has their own union which worries about --- well, them. ALPA has to be concerned with its position with the legacy carriers where it has taken quite a beating lately.
For those of you who are Kit Darby fans, I am sure you realize his relationship with ALPA.
I do not claim to know whether ALPA is right for Skywest, but I do know that not having a group that understands your situation and opertes for you like the long drawn out process at Netjets is a black hole not to be gone down. ALPA is like the legacy carriers that spawned it, big nad not very responsive to today's environment.

Latest resources

Back