• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

My Concern if ALPA comes to SkyWest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ALPA will burn SW to the ground. People are more or less happy at skywest, and there is no need for ALPA to come in. Sure it would be nice to get a raise for the 90 seaters (even though we only have 70 seats in them), but I only see ALPA running a wedge between mngt, and the pilots.

The people that want the union at skywest, for the most part have not worked at a ALPA airline, or under a ALPA contract. The people at skywest that have worked with ALPA, for the mostpart dont want ALPA.

I was once represented from ALPA, and am very happy with out them running around skywest. It would be the begining of the end, if they made it to skywest. I know it sounds crazy, but things will start to get WORSE if alpa comes to skywest. I know that I could look 10 years ahead, one with alpa and one without, you would be worse off with ALPA.

I mean really, ask yourself this question.

WHAT REGIONAL WITH ALPA IS DOING GOOD?

MarineGrunt;1135706 said:
really [/I]wanted to benefit from all those accomplshments, why didn't they push for those benefits to be for ALPA carriers only? I'll bet they would have a lot more support in their drives if that were the case.

Why?

First, what all of those bulleted items are is in the Federal Code. The APA, NPA, SWAPA, IPA, etc are political organizations. These unions realize they must be heard on CapHill so they've formed CAPA. ALPA is the only national union that has been a repsected player on CapHill for 75 years. ALPA was designed to influence legislation in its favor.

In fact, the Air Transport Association was created in part to combat ALPA's effectiveness on CapHill. The ATA is managements political operative.

Right now SW and jB pilots have zero voice in the legislation and code that effects thier careers. Everyday SW and jB pilots operate under federal codes that significantly effect thier short and long term careers. Yet they have no say whatsoever.....

I'm not sure of the benefit or fairness from the gov't if ALPA changed Age60 or other Codes to effect its members only.

Unions can negotiate contracts to provide for better work rules than the FARs.

Consider this.. when Skywest management determines their pilots work rules do you think they look at negotiated labor contracts? If you say yes, then SW pilots benefit from ALPA and the Teamsters. If you say no, then.............

ALPA will burn SW to the ground. People are more or less happy at skywest, and there is no need for ALPA to come in. Sure it would be nice to get a raise for the 90 seaters (even though we only have 70 seats in them), but I only see ALPA running a wedge between mngt, and the pilots.

The people that want the union at skywest, for the most part have not worked at a ALPA airline, or under a ALPA contract. The people at skywest that have worked with ALPA, for the mostpart dont want ALPA.

I was once represented from ALPA, and am very happy with out them running around skywest. It would be the begining of the end, if they made it to skywest. I know it sounds crazy, but things will start to get WORSE if alpa comes to skywest. I know that I could look 10 years ahead, one with alpa and one without, you would be worse off with ALPA.

I mean really, ask yourself this question.

WHAT REGIONAL WITH ALPA IS DOING GOOD?

Your post is superfical opinion with no real substance.

Can you tell us why?

Why will SW be worse with ALPA?

How will ALPA "burn" SW to the ground?

How does ALPA effect whether a regional is doing good?

All regionals are connected to Legacy Carriers. Could that be a connection as to why regionals are doing poorly?

I am not saying you are wrong, but I don't see rational reasoning here to conclude that what you are saying is logical.

IOW convince me....

My main concern if SkyWest goes with ALPA is the cost. In addition to 2% of my paycheck (now nearly $1000 a year), I'm concerned that ole Brad will try to take away Performance rewards (for most pilots... 1000 to 3000 per year). Furthermore, I think we'll lose pay for wx/mx cancellations amongst other things.

In return, what is ALPA going to do for me? The FO that called telling me to send in the card the other day mentioned that they'll pay us if we go on strike - just like the paid comair pilots for 49 days. What's ALPA doing for COMAIR guys now? Looks like they're gonna be gone soon...

Lastly, what's YOUR vote going to be? ALPA or No?
alpa pays you, but don't plan on keeping your house if the strike last toooo long! THEBEST

Ok Rez, I am pro-ALPA and not a Skywest pilot....but you need some corrections.

CASS implementation was not solved by ALPA alone. Not in the least. The combination of the APA, IPA, and ALPA all helped get CASS going. Many of the people that headed the CASS push would be offended and would disagree that ALPA "solved" CASS.

And Skywest is very much involved nationally with all the other jumpseat coordinators. And they were well represented at last years jumpseat confrence. Many, many, many union and non-union carriers attend.

Agreed!

To respond to the last para....

ALPA because of its size pretty much runs the jumpseat show.... with all intrested parties involved.

And lets not forget that ALPA saved on line jumpseating right after 9/11 when all intrested parties were ready to ban it forever....

If ALPA's certification effort at SkyWest fails, it is my opinion that SkyWest Pilots will no longer be able to enjoy the benefit of having the ALPA bogeyman to scare management into being so nice.

Like the boy that called wolf too many times, SkyWest management and ALPA will both know where the SkyWest pilots stand.

Other airlines will also know and will react to preserve their jobs. All this equals no more free ride off the battles other pilots fight to promote this profession.

Read this board about the ASA Status Rep elections. A team has already formed to use our contract to negotiate job protections for ASA pilots. Things will change as a result of the SkyWest vote. Which direction they go has a lot to do with you.

Last edited:
My main concern if SkyWest goes with ALPA is the cost. In addition to 2% of my paycheck (now nearly $1000 a year), I'm concerned that ole Brad will try to take away Performance rewards (for most pilots... 1000 to 3000 per year). Furthermore, I think we'll lose pay for wx/mx cancellations amongst other things.

In return, what is ALPA going to do for me? The FO that called telling me to send in the card the other day mentioned that they'll pay us if we go on strike - just like the paid comair pilots for 49 days. What's ALPA doing for COMAIR guys now? Looks like they're gonna be gone soon...

Lastly, what's YOUR vote going to be? ALPA or No?

I would be more worried about getting ACARS to take away your performance rewards than ALPA.

Try nmb.gov for some answers.
Taking away the profit sharing bonus to retaliate is agains the law. Smart guys in SGU. They won't try something that boneheaded.

IBT vs North American case has nothing in common with SKYW. North American had to demonstrate financial distress, hardly the case at SKYW.

Some management puke or SAPA wannabe CP give that to you to share? Tell the truth now.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back