• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Moving up to management

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
First, you sell your soul to Lucifer and then sell out your pilot group. Judas would have made one hell of a airline manager or CEO for that matter. Atleast that's how it's done where I work.

Was wondering what it would take to eventually move up to airline management once hired as a pilot at a major?

If you had an MBA and happened to be flying for several years, how hard would it be to get involved in the corporate side of things? If you did, could you still fly a little?

I am thinking about getting an MBA and could see doing that if I was able.

Thanks.

One way:

1. Get hired as a pilot
2. Volunteer for union negotiating committee
3. Sell the pilot group down the river
4. Wait for the call from management to negotiate on the other side of the table

No kidding.

3. Sell the pilot group down the river

While I disagree 1000% with the actions of the person being described here, it was the LEC STATUS REPS who sold the CAL pilots down the river by voting "YES" in the first place to send the TA out for a membership vote.

BTW, the current EWR FO status rep voted "YES" on POS 02.

Sincerely,

B. Franklin

Who is more important to an airline, the pilot or the Exec making 500k in the corner office?

Well, the way I see it, on saturdays, sundays, and holidays, I'll bet the corporate office is all but deserted. (I am ofcourse thaking about the MBA's with a PHD in blowing $$$ up a wild hogs ass). The airline seems to function as if more grease was applied to the bearings.

What would happen to an airline if none of the pilots showed up?

I's your job, mr. PHD in wild hogs ass, to sell tickets and create a buisness plan that betters the airline as a whole. If the pilots flew airplanes the way most of you run a company, there would be ALOT of smoking holes out there.

Sorry, too much Scotch, or not quite enough...

reality?

Because the political arena is already full?

Somewhat seriously, if this person is an honorable man and has some smarts and leadership capabilities, then why not? Isn't that what management is sorely lacking? I do agree though this may be flame bait.
Reality of management and leadership, if someone has the answers it is their duty to step up and make it better. But it is so easy to ignore that reality and throw darts, call names, and think you have all the answers.

if this person is an honorable man and has some smarts and leadership capabilities, then why not?

People with those qualities generally do not aspire to be management, and if they did make into those ranks, they would either be subverted, fired or hopefully, resign.

Sadly, a few are more than willing to sell their fellows pilots down the river, the company I work for has a few. Interestingly, they came with accolades from their previous fellow pilots, having joined management here, they decided to become pilot unfriendly!

Last edited:
Who is more important to an airline, the pilot or the Exec making 500k in the corner office?

The Exec making 500k in the corner office. There is a reason the exec has the corner office and 500K on the W-2. But even the exec is still working for someone else.

Well, the way I see it, on saturdays, sundays, and holidays, I'll bet the corporate office is all but deserted.

If they're smart and at the top of their careers, they are at home with their families, enjoying their time with their families. If not, and working their way up the ladder, they might be at home, but working. I know of very few execs that take holidays, weekends, and other such days 100% off. Even when off, the brain is still working away at solving whatever crisis or dreaming up some new long term idea to grow the company.

What would happen to an airline if none of the pilots showed up?
It would be a stretch to have none of the pilots show up. Most likely it'd be a bunch of retirees, management pilots, and others that would run a barebones schedule until the airline folded, thus the pilots would not have anywhere to show up to. The pilots would start over at the bottom of the list elsewhere with the corresponding loss of the income, and the execs would find themselves at a similar level or promoted elsewhere with a similar or higher level of income.

Sorry, too much Scotch, or not quite enough...
Not enough. :beer:

Of course I don't like either pilot or exec position, I'd rather be CEO.

Somewhat seriously, if this person is an honorable man and has some smarts and leadership capabilities, then why not? Isn't that what management is sorely lacking? I do agree though this may be flame bait.
I've seen honorable men try to do these jobs. They end up either losing their honor, or getting fired. Honor and management are mutually exclusive.

People with those qualities generally do not aspire to be management, and if they did make into those ranks, they would either be subverted, fired or hopefully, resign.

Yes, kind of like politics-most normal people don't have the stomach for it. Your observation about being subverted, fired, or resigning is very keen.

Latest resources

Back