• Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Moving up to management

Spoken like a true union stooge.

the play on words continues......

Seoul is in Japan right?

http://www.seoulsearching.com/videos/

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times]A teacher asked her class to make a sentence using the word 'fascinate'.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times]Molly put up her hand up and said, 'My family went to my granddad's farm, and we all saw his pet sheep. It was fascinating.' [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times]The teacher said, 'That was good, but I wanted you to use the word 'fascinate, not fascinating'.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times]Sally raised her hand. She said, 'My family went to see Rock[/FONT] [FONT=Times New Roman, Times]City and I was fascinated.' [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times]The teacher said, 'Well, that was good Sally, but I wanted you to use the word 'fascinate.'[/FONT]

Little Johnny raised his hand. The teacher hesitated because she had been burned by Little Johnny before. She finally decided there was no way he could damage the word 'fascinate', so she called on him.

Johnny said, 'My Aunt Gina has a sweater with ten buttons, but her tits are so big she can only fasten eight.'

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times]The teacher sat down and cried.[/FONT]

I know the joke below isn't true because I married a "sky goddess"!

What is the difference between a flight attendant and a limousine?

Not everyone has been in a limo before!
:laugh:​

Good one. I too am married to a "sky goddess"

I will use that one on her tonight. :D

Good one. I too am married to a "sky goddess"

I will use that one on her tonight. :D

Careful there Meat, you may not be riding in the "limo" tonight!
:bawling:

this may have been brought up allready?

Who do "we" want working in airline management?

Someone who's flown the line (and maybe still does from time to time)?

Or someone who's never been in "our" shoes and has no appreciation of how things really work in "our" world?

Why shouldn't a pilot move in to managment if they have the skills and mentality to do it right? It seems it would be far better for "us" than some MBA who only knows the business from books or an operations managment perspective?

Last edited:
What kind of management are you interested in? There is operations management and business management. It if is operations management you want (training manager, chief pilot, fleet manager), then it is very feasible to work into those kinds of positions from the cockpit. Not so much for business management positions,

As stated a couple of pages back - you have to have a real passion for your company by improving standards and handling mundane tasks that hold little to no interest to most airline pilots.

If you entered management, you would probably only be able to move into a middle management position. These involve long work weeks, the requirement of being tied to your phone/blackberry at all hours, and having to tie yourself to the desk.

I see our chief pilots work daily in our crew room on Mon-Fri - a shabby office, while they handle petty problems such as misbehaving pilots, late departures, overweight landings... what a drag!! Our standards managers are busy maintaining manuals by countless revisions, always battling with regulatory compliance, oversight, etc. Although I regard these individuals as personable, I see them around our airline office in a stressed, weary state. The burden of being in middle management is heavy.

Meanwhile, the average lineholder enjoys a good number of days off and the privilege of being unreachable when not on duty, if they are smart, ;).

Is this what you want?

It has to be done

We do it because it has to be done, we work everyday to see our airline survives, we work everyday to see our pilots can grow with the airline, we work everyday to see that the FAA does penalize us, we work everyday to see that no one dies at at our airline, and we work every to balance a multitude on conflicting inputs to arrive at the best decison to address the above. I do these for less than I would make as a line pilot who hired at the same time I was. In the end it is job satisfaction that motivates me to undertake this job. I see the results of my work, no voilations, no accidents, and rave reviews from everyone who has inspected us and called us the finest charter operation them have ever seen.

Last edited:
We do it because it has to be done, we work everyday to see our airline survives, we work everyday to see our pilots can grow with the airline, we work everyday to see that the FAA does penalize us, we work everyday to see that no one dies at at our airline, and we work every to balance a multitude on conflicting inputs to arrive at the best decison to address the above. I do these for less than I would make as a line pilot who hired at the same time I was. In the end it is job satisfaction that motivates me to undertake this job. I see the results of my work, no voilations, no accidents, and rave reviews from everyone who has inspected us and called us the finest charter operation them have ever seen.

I agree, you [or a person with management responsibilites] must relish in the continued success of the airline as it gives a different sense in satisfaction with regards to the way our industry runs.

I see the value in this position as it differs greatly from the management type that most people decry - a Glenn Tilton type, Bob Crandall persona. Instead, a person must grasp a largely different set of fundamental values. It isn't for everyone.

Latest resources

Back