• NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.
  • Logbook Pro for Apple iOS version 8.1 is now available on the App Store. Major update including signature endorsements and dark/light theme support. Click here to install now.

Moving to Atlanta: General Aviation questions...

cargoflyr69

V-Dub for Life
Total Time
5000+
Hello, I'm a Delta (Northwest) Pilot looking to move myself and the woman down to the warmer climates of Georgia. I currently own an Aeronca Champ and am looking to find a good aviation community to get joined up with. As well as a nice city to call our home. Here are some of our wish list requirements. Hopefully someone can chime in with some suggestions on where to start looking.

-Need to be within 1.5-2 hours driving of KATL incase I have to sit reserve.
-Wanting a laid back flying community that is into grassroots flying (champs,cubs, tailwheels, warbirds, etc) not looking for the holier-than-thou bonanza and barron drivers.
-Would like to own or rent a hangar 40x40 or larger to do restorations and mantainance
-would consider either a public airport or fly/live-in community
-easy roads for her commute into the city (not sure where she will be finding work yet)
-easy access to marta for trips into the city for theater/arts/culture
-decent schools if we should ever pop little ones out
-good access to healthcare and doctors
-low taxes

Thanks in advance with any suggestions and comments!!!

G-force

Total Time
5200 +
Re: Try WDR!!

Try Winder,it is northeast of Hotlanta,the airport is WDR!!

Last edited:

Fblowjets

Total Time
I work with a guy selling a plot of land on a fly in community just south of Hartsfield. You would have to build, but its paved and lighted, pool, tennis courts. Pm me if interested.

Fearless Tower

Total Time
some
Try getting ahold of Dan Gryder. He's a Delta 777 FO and runs his DC-3 training outfit out of Griffin-Spalding and Thomaston Upson Co. His contact info is on his website: www.thedc-3network.com/

Dan knows ATL and the local area pretty well and can probably point you in the right direction.

cargoflyr69

V-Dub for Life
Total Time
5000+
Thanks for all the info. We will be making some "scouting trips" down there this summer and would be making the move mid 2010 at the soonest.

Colonel Savage

Southern style...
Total Time
NoTime
"-Wanting a laid back flying community that is into grassroots flying (champs,cubs, tailwheels, warbirds, etc) not looking for the holier-than-thou bonanza and barron drivers...."

Guess that eliminates Falcon.

You sure you wanna be a Deltoid?

pilotyip

Total Time
Moving

Thanks for all the info. We will be making some "scouting trips" down there this summer and would be making the move mid 2010 at the soonest.
gonna sell your house in Michigan?

FL000

Total Time

When you make the move, let us know so we can recommend some things to do around Atlanta.