• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Most Junior UAL Pilot?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It is truly amazing how this dip******************** holds on to a medical!
This is the same moron you follow doing 55 in the left lane with his turn signal on.
It's ok old man. No one could possibly think any less of you. Go retire, and enjoy the shuffleboard court.

I think I'll just go back to watching the geezermeter thread.

thanks for the kind words

My post was pretty harsh and a shot at someone I don't even know(great thing to throw bombs while hiding behind a screen). What I find troubling is his continued "managing of expectations" for anyone who works for a legacy airline. I've never read a post by him where he wishes the pilots of a carrier in negotiations well. He complains as a consumer about airline pricing thus fostering the typical U.S. airline passenger "I have a right to travel coast to coast for $199.00" mentality(reference his posts months back about buying tickets for personal travel). I wish him well(as I wish for everyone in this industry, pilot or not). I just don't understand the 10% who always seem to feed on the negativity in this industry and thrive on watching others go through down cycles(aka United).
Unlike others on this site you seem to have a reasonable side. I wish no one ill will, but I see so much complaining from guys who have jobs flying airplanes. Anyone with a certain level of skill and desire can fly an airplane. Most pilots make a good living compared to the rest of the individuals in this country and to be able to do something you love to do and make a good living is like a dream. Many people will never experience that. Having seen my jobs disappear on a regular basis over my career, I am hesitate to endorse anything that would seem to upset the status qou, particularly at marginal operations. I’ll send you the PM, ignore if you like.

Unlike others on this site you seem to have a reasonable side. I wish no one ill will, but I see so much complaining from guys who have jobs flying airplanes. Anyone with a certain level of skill and desire can fly an airplane. Most pilots make a good living compared to the rest of the individuals in this country and to be able to do something you love to do and make a good living is like a dream. Many people will never experience that. Having seen my jobs disappear on a regular basis over my career, I am hesitate to endorse anything that would seem to upset the status qou, particularly at marginal operations. I’ll send you the PM, ignore if you like.

Without getting into a more protracted pissing contest, you seem to indicate in your post that you believe that "flying airplanes" is a form of compensation? Wether or not one enjoys the work being performed, compensations should be commensurate with the responsibility of said position. Implying that doing work you might happen to enjoy entitles you to lower pay is a BIG part of the problem this industry faces going forward.

Enjoying work that you have been trained to competently complete is not quantifiable in dollar terms. No price can be charged for the enjoyment a professional may take from performing their life's work. By your argument, the worst jobs in the world should demand the greatest financial compensation since clearly no value can be deducted for enjoyment.

Perhaps I'm understanding your point incorrectly but if I'm not, I think the logic is terribly flawed and greatly responsible for the destruction our industry has witness in the last 30 years.

read my tag line

Without getting into a more protracted pissing contest, you seem to indicate in your post that you believe that "flying airplanes" is a form of compensation? .
It is all in my tag line, it says it all. I consider myself one of the luckiest SOB's to ever walk the planet. Flying is a way to make a living, I have never made over $100K/yr in my life. I am still living my dream of a 5 yr old. I am very comfortable in my semi-retirement. I am happy, if what I have done would not make others happy then that is their choice. I do not ask anyone to be happy just because I am. If others are not happy then I do not believe there is much I can do for them. There are lots of people out here like me. They tend not to post, because one becomes such a lightening rod for being content with your career. As a gentelman, I respectfully accept your opinions and positions, I just ask that I be accepted under the same conditions. Blue skies and safe flying.

It is all in my tag line, it says it all. I consider myself one of the luckiest SOB's to ever walk the planet. Flying is a way to make a living, I have never made over $100K/yr in my life. I am still living my dream of a 5 yr old. I am very comfortable in my semi-retirement. I am happy, if what I have done would not make others happy then that is their choice. I do not ask anyone to be happy just because I am. If others are not happy then I do not believe there is much I can do for them. There are lots of people out here like me. They tend not to post, because one becomes such a lightening rod for being content with your career. As a gentelman, I respectfully accept your opinions and positions, I just ask that I be accepted under the same conditions. Blue skies and safe flying.

Fair enough. I read your PM completely and I can certainly understand your sentiments. I can also say that I do not believe in this industry or profession enough to continue to perform work that I am not being appropriately compensated for. I do not enjoy flying more than I loath being taken advantage of. I'm attempting to take corrective action in that regard. I believe that if this industry is going to be populated with those who are willing to accept their position as professional pilots as "compensation" by itself, than this profession will see continued downward pressure that will eventually lead to working conditions that I would find intolerable. If there are others who disagree, I'm happy to leave the career to them.

I believe we are 55% of the way there.................

fair enough. I read your pm completely and i can certainly understand your sentiments. I can also say that i do not believe in this industry or profession enough to continue to perform work that i am not being appropriately compensated for. I do not enjoy flying more than i loath being taken advantage of. I'm attempting to take corrective action in that regard. I believe that if this industry is going to be populated with those who are willing to accept their position as professional pilots as "compensation" by itself, than this profession will see continued downward pressure that will eventually lead to working conditions that i would find intolerable. If there are others who disagree, i'm happy to leave the career to them.

I believe we are 55% of the way there.................

amen!!!

fair compensation?

I can also say that I do not believe in this industry or profession enough to continue to perform work that I am not being appropriately compensated for. I do not enjoy flying more than I loath being taken advantage of.
What is fair compensation? No intent to flame, but I believe this isa fair question.

This post started out as a simple question by someone concerned about their friends at United and look where it has gone.

This is why we pilots continue to get screwed by our management. I cannot recall a single thread that has ever run more than one page on this forum where individuals haven't started fighting with one another. I could post that the new paint scheme for airline so and so looks good and sure enough some jack-#ss would have to make some snide remark about even that.

There are a lot of bitter people out there (and I must admit, sometimes it's me as well) who have invested a lot of time and energy to get into this profession only to besmirch everyone involved with it.

Pilots for other airlines are not the enemy, generally, management is. They are the opportunist who played on people's fears after 9-11 and who continue to try and convince pilots that we are equal in duties to FA's and the aircraft cleaning crew. They only way we can ever hope to regain some semblance of a profession that is desirable is to support one another and stop seeing everyone else as the competition out to put one over on you.

Arguing over everything one can think of only gives the coporate hegemony what they want. That isn't just true in the microcosm of pilot contracts, this is true for us as a nation as well. As long as we allow ourselves to be divided, or volunteer to do so as so many do on Flightinfo or as we do politically on a national level, we have absolutely no hope of improvement.

We must re-learn the art of living together in harmony and not being so cynical about everything. Trust me, I am the pot accusing the kettle here, but it is true nonetheless.

You're right, we need to all get along... let's unite by saying bad things about the ones who deserve it.. the mngmnt.. and ALPA.:)

Boy did you hit the nail on the head with that one.

This post started out as a simple question by someone concerned about their friends at United and look where it has gone.

This is why we pilots continue to get screwed by our management. I cannot recall a single thread that has ever run more than one page on this forum where individuals haven't started fighting with one another. I could post that the new paint scheme for airline so and so looks good and sure enough some jack-#ss would have to make some snide remark about even that.

There are a lot of bitter people out there (and I must admit, sometimes it's me as well) who have invested a lot of time and energy to get into this profession only to besmirch everyone involved with it.

Pilots for other airlines are not the enemy, generally, management is. They are the opportunist who played on people's fears after 9-11 and who continue to try and convince pilots that we are equal in duties to FA's and the aircraft cleaning crew. They only way we can ever hope to regain some semblance of a profession that is desirable is to support one another and stop seeing everyone else as the competition out to put one over on you.

Arguing over everything one can think of only gives the coporate hegemony what they want. That isn't just true in the microcosm of pilot contracts, this is true for us as a nation as well. As long as we allow ourselves to be divided, or volunteer to do so as so many do on Flightinfo or as we do politically on a national level, we have absolutely no hope of improvement.

We must re-learn the art of living together in harmony and not being so cynical about everything. Trust me, I am the pot accusing the kettle here, but it is true nonetheless.

Latest resources

Back