Most Junior UAL Pilot?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Dare Consumers

This is why we pilots continue to get screwed by our management. .
Aren't you really being screwed by those terrible consumers of air travel who demand such rock bottom prices so that no one can make a profit.

I'd like to check on an acquaintence I knew a few years ago who is at UAL. Would someone mind PMing me and I'll give you his name. I just want to know whether or not he survived the furloughs. Thanks.

Aren't you really being screwed by those terrible consumers of air travel who demand such rock bottom prices so that no one can make a profit.

Well. no. You don't understand the airline business. The consumers' effect on ticket prices only goes so far. After all, passengers can demand to pay a $1 airfare all they want but it won't happen. It is the airlines that undercut each other to fill seats in a race to the bottom. If airlines actually charged what it would cost plus a profit, then the industry wouldn't be in such a dismal state. Instead, they would rather corner the market on certain routes and lose money on specific flights. Then they roll the dice to see if they can make up for it in other routes and/or other times, cut labor costs by declaring bankruptcy to get out of a union contracts (including scope), lowering quality of service, reducing service, operating/outsourcing understaffed call centers by folks that barely speak English etc. etc. etc....one could go on and on. Wal Mart Airways, here we come.

Kugelblitz is correct. The problem is management.

you are so right

Well. no. You don't understand the airline business. The consumers' effect on ticket prices only goes so far. After all, passengers can demand to pay a $1 airfare all they want but it won't happen. It is the airlines that undercut each other to fill seats in a race to the bottom. If airlines actually charged what it would cost plus a profit, then the industry wouldn't be in such a dismal state. Instead, they would rather corner the market on certain routes and lose money on specific flights. Then they roll the dice to see if they can make up for it in other routes and/or other times, cut labor costs by declaring bankruptcy to get out of a union contracts (including scope), lowering quality of service, reducing service, operating/outsourcing understaffed call centers by folks that barely speak English etc. etc. etc....one could go on and on. Wal Mart Airways, here we come.

Kugelblitz is correct. The problem is management.
you are so right, lets go back to 1976 and hte regulated airlines business
Life was good for a few pilots under regulation. There are probably 4-5 times as many pilot’s jobs now as there was in 1977. Back in reg time it was about 90% military that went to the majors. Dereg opened up a lot of airline job to non-military pilots. To return to regulation would raise ticket prices, reduce the number of passengers, and therefore reduce the number of pilots needed. This is still a great way to make a living, pilots are not doctor's, if you want to be treated like a doctor finish med school, pilots are not wall street CEO's, if you want ot be a wall street CEO, get into one the top 10 MBA's school. You are pilot you fly airplanes, if you like doing that you are probably happy. If not you are in the wrong line of work.

Life was good for a few pilots under regulation. There are probably 4-5 times as many pilot’s jobs now as there was in 1977. Back in reg time it was about 90% military that went to the majors. Dereg opened up a lot of airline job to non-military pilots. To return to regulation would raise ticket prices, reduce the number of passengers, and therefore reduce the number of pilots needed. This is still a great way to make a living, pilots are not doctor's, if you want to be treated like a doctor finish med school, pilots are not wall street CEO's, if you want ot be a wall street CEO, get into one the top 10 MBA's school. You are pilot you fly airplanes, if you like doing that you are probably happy. If not you are in the wrong line of work.

It is truly amazing how this dip******************** holds on to a medical!
This is the same moron you follow doing 55 in the left lane with his turn signal on.
It's ok old man. No one could possibly think any less of you. Go retire, and enjoy the shuffleboard court.

Allow me to translate this:

Basically, prior to deregulation, only a few pilots enjoyed the good life. Pilotyip was not one of those because he lacked whatever was needed to get on with a major airline. Deregulation to him has been a good thing as it has allowed multiple start up bottom feeders to spring up all over this country. Along with nonscheduled airlines(like the one he works for), the fly by night outfits that come and go continue to put downward pressure on the legacy airlines that offer the best pay packages but since he can't get a job at one of those carriers, who cares. It's like the difference between a British youth and an American kid. The American kid sees a luxury car pass him on the street and instantly thinks "wow, I want to be able to have one of those one day" while the British kid says "Who the bloody Hell does he think he is in that nice car? I'll show him!"
Now that pilotyip has worked in "management" at his little outfit he has something he can cling to and finally be "elite". He constantly reminds us that labor will only get what the market can afford etc. As if nobody gets that. Sad.

get out of my lane.

It is truly amazing how this dip******************** holds on to a medical!
This is the same moron you follow doing 55 in the left lane with his turn signal on.
not me I have the guy doin 80 inthe left lane blinking my lights at you for drving 70, that is when I am not out barn storming in the B-17 and C-47. BTW last 1 st class, BP110/70, rest pulse 60, did not need glasses. If things work out for you, you also may enjoy these years if you get here.

Who me?

Basically, prior to deregulation, only a few pilots enjoyed the good life. Pilotyip was not one of those because he lacked whatever was needed to get on with a major airline. .
Like many of the later Vietnam era pilots who I served with our timing to make it in this industry was not as good as some. There were so many guys with 1000's of hour of jet time from that era, that turbo prop guys were not in as big of a demand. A long list of ex EAL, Pam Am, Transamerica, Braniff guy fit in that same box. BTW I have had a ball and looking back would change little. I still have a lot of friends in this business, maybe if you tried you could also be one. Will you be my friend?

Last edited:

Basically, prior to deregulation, only a few pilots enjoyed the good life. Pilotyip was not one of those because he lacked whatever was needed to get on with a major airline. Deregulation to him has been a good thing as it has allowed multiple start up bottom feeders to spring up all over this country. Along with nonscheduled airlines(like the one he works for), the fly by night outfits that come and go continue to put downward pressure on the legacy airlines that offer the best pay packages but since he can't get a job at one of those carriers, who cares. It's like the difference between a British youth and an American kid. The American kid sees a luxury car pass him on the street and instantly thinks "wow, I want to be able to have one of those one day" while the British kid says "Who the bloody Hell does he think he is in that nice car? I'll show him!"
Now that pilotyip has worked in "management" at his little outfit he has something he can cling to and finally be "elite". He constantly reminds us that labor will only get what the market can afford etc. As if nobody gets that. Sad.

Too bad you didn't get one of this azzwipes 2 page PM's. pilotyip is one pathetic old man. At least he's where he's supposed to be, with the rest of the azzwipes. In airline management at some scumbag ********************hole operation.

My post was pretty harsh and a shot at someone I don't even know(great thing to throw bombs while hiding behind a screen). What I find troubling is his continued "managing of expectations" for anyone who works for a legacy airline. I've never read a post by him where he wishes the pilots of a carrier in negotiations well. He complains as a consumer about airline pricing thus fostering the typical U.S. airline passenger "I have a right to travel coast to coast for $199.00" mentality(reference his posts months back about buying tickets for personal travel). I wish him well(as I wish for everyone in this industry, pilot or not). I just don't understand the 10% who always seem to feed on the negativity in this industry and thrive on watching others go through down cycles(aka United).

Latest resources

Back