Most Challenging Regional Aircraft??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
WMUSIGPI said:
I don't think it qualifies for a vote, they aren't used in scheduled airline service anymore.

Wrong!

Pen Air uses them out of Anchorage. They have a code share agreement with Alaska Airlines.

Cheers!

GP

They are all very challenging. You must have incredible skills and even a little luck to succeed as the commander of any regional aircraft.

Way2Broke said:
A Jetstream with a good a/c? Funny I remember the things barely working at all. ...
Gee, as I recall, they worked like a gale-force wind coming down a glacier -- but ... they were new at the time. :erm:

ok so I get burned by one obscure operator in AK... sorry.
Any thoughts on the twin cessnas at cape air. Where would they rate. (I have no idea what models they use)

DGdaPilot said:
Is the J-Ball 41 as bad as the 31/32?

I've flown the 41, but not the 31/32 so I can't really give a hands on comparison, but I thought that the 41 was pretty stable. Once you got it trimmed out it pretty much flew where you put it. I heard that the the 31/32 is "always perfectly trimmed to find the fastest way to the ground" Now the challenging part about flying the 41 was dealing with the mx issues that seemed to come up.

The 1900 was stable, but I imagine it was not so stable before the engineers figured that they needed to hang all that crap off the back.

The EMB 145 is pretty easy to fly too. The wierd thing about it is that it seems like it doesnt really like wind that much on landing. Any thing more that 15 or 20 kts of wind escpecially if its gusty can turn into a handfull in that plane. Its my first swept wing so maybe its a swept wing thing. Cause the 1900 and the 41 could handle 30 to 40 kts of wind before you felt like you really had to work for it.

you know...these are all turboprops (E-120, Metro, Jetstream 32). So why does everyone want jet time if it takes more skill to fly a TP.
BTW, my vote is for the E-120 cause it is harder than the 1900. "change power...trim rudder" over and over again

Flex81 said:
you know...these are all turboprops (E-120, Metro, Jetstream 32). So why does everyone want jet time if it takes more skill to fly a TP.
BTW, my vote is for the E-120 cause it is harder than the 1900. "change power...trim rudder" over and over again

Because of the endless number of employers who feel that jet time is more valuable than prop time. Dumb if you ask me.

WMUSIGPI said:
ok so I get burned by one obscure operator in AK... sorry.
Any thoughts on the twin cessnas at cape air. Where would they rate. (I have no idea what models they use)

Obscure? Not if you regularly fly through Anchorage. The same could be said of Cape Air in the northeast. Most people outside of New England have never heard of Cape Air (yes I know they have an operation in the carribean and a couple of ATR 42's in Guam).

The original question referred to a part 121 airline. Aren't the 402's at Cape Air operated on a part 135 certificate?

As for the 402's...I imagine they are a handful. Same goes for the Chieftain.

GP

Flex81 said:

M-O-N-E-Y

Latest resources

Back