• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Mormons and Frisbee

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Boy, you guys don't even know the half of it. We (yes I am a Mormon) are a very peculiar religion. And yes, we recognize that fact. Well most of us anyway.

And most of actually do know how to have fun, we just don't need to get plastered to do it.

Thank you for your support.

PS- If you think we like frisbee, you ought to check out this link from espn

Utah's Other Religion

Last edited:
Given that I married a Mormon and was a member of the LDS Church until my wife left me, I, too, consider myself an expert on this topic.

Goobers. No. Indoctrinated to the point of near zombie-like obedience. Yes.

One must under the particular brand of faith espoused in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, as it's properly called. The church has mixed a lot of Old Testament rituals with 'latter (modern) day' revelation (prophesy). LDSs feel that the President of the church and the Quorum of the Twelves Apostles are chosen by God to lead the church on Earth. They point out that throughout the OT, prophets led the Jews (or at least the faithful ones) through the many trials of history. They feel that God, through Joesph Smith, returned the leadership and authority of the OT prophets. LDSs do not think the President (aka Prophet) and QotTA are perfect or above human. However, just as Christ teaches that He would no lead others astray, so have LDSs been taught that the leadership of the church would not. They feel the lifestyle and suggestions from the church leadership are from God and thus, most hold true to them.

From the counseling not to watch R-rated movies to the Word of Wisdom (the scriptures outlines dietary habits), LDSs have free agency do to what they want. Many LDSs drink teas or pop (my soon-to-be ex-wife's parents enjoy Diet Pepsi when dining out, for example) and still find themselves righteous members. However, most do not comsume alcohol or smoke; just like most other Christian faiths, LDSs tend to pick and chose what's acceptable and what's not. Interestingly, a LDS has a lot of freedom in what 'counsel' they ignore. During interveiws for various things in the church (appointment to a position of stewardship or the receipt of a temple recommend), the bishop (local church leader) simply asks the LDS if he/she follows the variows laws, commandments and counsel. The LDS can easily answer most of the questions in the affirmative because the church feels each member, in many cases, is able to determine their own righteousness. The best example is 'tithing settlement' at the end of each calender year when the bishop meets with all members to determine if they are full, partial or non- tithe payers. Each members simply answers 'full', 'partial' or 'non.' The bishop doesn't pilfer through paystubs or ask, 'Is that 10% of gross or net?' It is the responsible of the member to 'be honest in his dealing with his fellow man and the church', not for the bishop to be an auditor. The church teaches that if a member is dishonest in his dealings, the God will hold him accountable.

Lastly, to the garments. While I no longer practice LDS beliefs, I still have respect for their laws. As such, I'm limited as to what I am confortable in discussing. However, I can share a few details. Again, drawing on symbology from the OT, the creation story (the LDS version, of course) and latter-day interpretations of ancient documents, the church established the practice of wearing sacred garments. The garments symbolize the clothing which, according to LDS belief, was given Adam and Eve upon their explusion from Eden to remind them of the everlasting covenants that they made with God. The garments, which are received upon the first visit to the temple (not necessarily a marriage (aka 'sealing')), are composed of two pieces: a top and a bottom. Made of a variety of materials (from pure cotton, to 50/50 to others [like silk for the ladies), the garments are to be worn underneath ALL other clothing, including the bras of the ladies.) Designed to be long in the legs and, for the ladies, cloaking in the bosum, the garments also encourage modesty as, other than the 'V' displayed when a man's shirt top button is open, the garments should be exposed in public (as to not invite ridicule from non-members). In many ways, the garments are just like old-fashioned underwear of 'times old'; however, 4 special symbols from temple ceremonies are stitched into certain areas of the garments. The garments serve primarily as a reminder of the covenents LDSs made in the temple to God, however, many members also speak of the protective properties (you can google 'Mormon garments' for several accounts) and the modesty it encourages in both the adults who where them and the children who will (theoretically) wear them in the future. Despite many comments above making fun of them, garments can be seen as just another human form of symbology - just like engagement rings/wedding bands, skull caps, ear (or other bodily) piercings and many, many others.

I know it's easy to tease something about which one is not familiar, however, despite my EXTREME liberalism and current disbelief in the LDS Church, I will always champion their existence. Mormons have, for FAR too long, been persecuted and ridiculed by people who knew little to nothing of their faith and practices. Now, if you have your facts straight and are not blindly bashing them, I'll probably join in. But by calling them polygamists or non-Christian, you'll invite an earful from me. I'm FAR from being an expert on LDS theology and such, but I know enough about them (having been on the inside) to know they do NOT deserve much of the flack they receive. LDSs are some of the most hardworking, community-minded, polite and generous people one could encounter.

As with many topics learn a little before you slander, demean or criticize.

Last edited:
My wife's family is LDS. I'm not, nor my wife. I tell you, whatever makes you happy, I say do it. What I don't like is when they come to our house, and just about beg to come inside. I had one say he was cold and asked if he could come in and have a cup of hot chocolate! It's got caffeine in it!!

Major commitments. Too much for me. I don't know how people get brainwashed, cohersed, or whatever you want to call it, into giving so much of their time to a faith. My brother in law is selling his motorhome and other toys because the church takes too much time!

Personally, I draw the line when the tell me I would have to wear a special kind of undergarment!

Hey, whatever floats your boat, I guess.

I'm waiting for Timebuilder's opinion of the Mormons.

Are they also Christians, or are they just another group of myopic Pagans stumbling toward the darkness?

For an introduction to Mormonism see the South Park episode "Mormons"

It shows how Joseph Smith founded the Mormon Church.

until the mid 70's it was still legal to shoot a mormon on site in the state of Missouri. The did however repeal that law once they discovered it was still in existance....kind of like how its still legal to hang someone for stealing a horse in Idaho....(or did they repeal that one too lately?)

Goodness... I don't know what the deal is with mormons and frisbee but I do remember some interestnig quirks of living in a Mormon town in Idaho for a year of my youth:

- Don't ever expect to run a business if you aren't a full tithe payer and otherwise "good" mormon. The community will shun you.

- Non-mormons are second-class citizens in the eyes of the community; well, not at first - they do a wonderful job of trying to evangelize and my father & the local Bishop spent much time together studying the Bible talking about the various things. I thank God today that my dad, a good Christian man, knew how to deal with them properly :)

- "Jack" mormons (the non-tithe payers or those who don't follow the lifestyle suggestions within a certain degree if the ideal) are third-class citizens.

I think that a lot of mormon ideals are good - they teach leading clean moral lives and try to set good examples for others... basic concepts of Christianity. I draw the line at some of their practices and "under the breath" beliefs, though. I've been told my multiple reliable sources that their beliefs about what is "pure" and "holy" (as far as people goes) trumps even hiter in terms of the 'arian' ideal (blond hair & blue eyes, fair skin is considered a 'clean' physique compared to people of other races). The fact that this was told to me, COMBINED with the racism and intolerance I saw with my own eyes (and I am a white guy) lead me to believe that they are true....

so, yeah, frisbee....

From a ChristiaNazi in another thread ...

If you were/are associated with Mormonism, Jehovah's Witnesses, Catholicism, or some other un-Godly cult

Since someone asked. :D

Minh
"Spreading fear, confusion, dissention, and outright lies at every opportunity."

I'm a 17 year-old Mormon who's been struggling with its doctrine and culture for quite a while now. Some things I've noticed:

*There is a line in the Book of Mormon that says that if the Native Americans accept the gospel, then they will become "white and delightsome." The line was changed back and forth for quite a while and now I think it reads "pure" instead of "white." I've talked to a few Mormons about this and they really believe it. They think it's literally a curse to be black.

*The "prophets" never make any prophecies, which I think is kind of funny. What's more, when everyone gets together for General Conference, the Prophet's messages aren't very deep or inspired.

*In many homes I've been in, the pictures of prophets and general authorities are prominently displayed with no sign of Jesus. Many (perhaps most) people follow these authorities with little thought. A popular phrase that was used often in my Sunday School classes was, "when the Prophet speaks, the debate is over." Die-hard obedience to the teachings of the apostles is a major tenet of the religion.

*A predominant teaching is that you're judged by your works, and that as a result of your works, you'll gain faith in Jesus Christ. People often mock the teaching of other denominations that you do good works as a result of your faith.

*If it is possible to have a true belief in God (I'm Agnostic), a lot of Mormons don't have even that. Many are preoccupied with fallacious arguments for God's existence (i.e. the Second Law of Thermodynamics, the "Natural Law," probability for conditions for life being there, etc.) which should be inconsequential if they do have that belief.

*I've been through four years of the seminary program. It leads you through the teachings of the Old and New testaments, the Book of Mormon, and the Doctrine and Covenents. However, when we were studying the OT and the NT, we only skimmed along and marked verses that support Mormon doctrine, which is always cross-referenced. The support is often quite a stretch. For example, there are some verses in Isaiah about something coming out of "the dust of the earth," which the Church links to the BoM.

*The vast majority of missionaries haven't even read the whole Bible. If they show up at your door and you wanted to debate them, most likely, if you've at least read the Bible, you'd win easily. But they don't "waste their time" with "Bible-thumpers."

*I come from a family of 10. The prophets often speak of the importance of having many children to give the "spirits in the pre-mortal existence" bodies. My mom cites this as her reason for having eight children. Birth-control is strongly discouraged and abortion is a very serious matter.

I could go on and on. I hate this religion.

Latest resources

Back