Morgan Freeman grounded

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
IP076 said:
I think the point was that you need an "Instrument Rating" to operate at FL210...

Which, you could have, as a Private Pilot, the previous poster did not clarify as to whether or not the FAA database has Mr. Freeman as an Instrument Rated Private Pilot.
That was my point. But the database did not specify an instrument rating. I guess he very well may have one.

Unstableaviator, why do they call you that?...sweet Avatar! I met Morgan in Liberal KS one day when he came out of a Beechjet. I'm pretty sure he was a pax. Nice guy though, down to earth.

I interviewed his son about 8 years ago for a flight instructing job at FRG but didn't hire him. I believe it was because he didn't give a candid explanation as to why he left his previous job as a CFI.

avbug said:
As for an altitude bust...he apparently made one. Anybody here that has never busted an altitude?
Well...of course, those of us that have never been busted for one will never admit we had one.

One thing that is understood between me and my FO's.....if they save me from a violation...they get a steak dinner(or their choice), my treat!

Frac,
Excellent philosophy to which I also subscribe. Thankfully, I haven't had to do it yet, myself. 'Course, I usually buy the crew dinner once during the month.

One thing for sure, if you're not sure what altitude you're cleared to, or if you're cleared for an approach or not...ASK!

FracCapt said:
One thing that is understood between me and my FO's.....if they save me from a violation...they get a steak dinner(or their choice), my treat!
That's awesome. I like that. During my little stint as a switch bit....err...right seater in a Citation, we were just about ready to blow thru an assigned altitude when I just said "altitude" and the capt. got pretty upset about it...he told my job was to "just talk on the radios".

I wouldn't need a steak dinner, just a simple "thanks" would be enough for me.

My .02 is that he was doing the VOR-A and skipped the 3000 level off altogether. I don't have the chart in front of me but it involves several 500' descents followed by an ATC "altered" MDA for the circle to 19. It's a shame he did this going into TEB, I can't think of a more unforgiving ATC sector in the world.

Grounding seems a bit harsh. Anyone been through anything similar? What does he have to do to get back in the air?

I just looked that approach up online. It is the VOR/DME-A. You have to be at 2000ft at CLIFO. I busted altitude on that same VOR approach the first time I shot it. Luckily the guy just chewed my butt out on the radio. I think he didnt violate me because he slammed dunk me on the approach and I should have said I was "unable" instead of trying to make the mandatory altitude. No excuse but it was my last leg after a long night of flying with no autopilot and I wasnt anywhere near 100%.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back