More valuable military flight time?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
USNFDX said:
75% off shipping......same discount I get!

Again, Thank you to all of you that help us get to and from work, even though we can't reciprocate.
Since we're on the subject,

The FedEx at DFW has imposed an interline embargo from Dec 17-24. (Full price, no exceptions)

Is that a local policy, or are all FedEx locations doing it?

Guess the discount will still come in handy for all those Ground Hog Day presents I need to ship :)

jetpilot243 said:
Flyingdude quote:

"Oh wait, you guys have never had to fly in such adverse conditions, yet you are the best. Odd don't you think?"

You're being ridiculous! Try landing on an aircraft carrier at night at mins with a pitching deck after a 5 hour mission! Good luck.
But you have ACLS

O.K. All of you guys are wrong. The best military time is helicopters (TIC). Come on admit it we are the best training for the airlines. I just can't get the instructors to stop screaming when I slow down to a hover on final. Wimps!

PastFastMover said:
Srjorion, this is an age old circular arguement that no one ever wins. I am better than you are. yada yada yada. What a waste of time. I would guess that no sources will be produced because there are none. Most airline pilots are such nerds. The ones that really make me laugh are the ones that hang their experience, ability, good looks, brains, or whatever you want to add on their date of hire or seniority number. Really makes me chuckle.
But the prom shoes and helmet glasses are cool? Had to chime in on this one. However I agree this is a circular argument that cannot be won. Good ones and otherwise come from both sides.

Last edited:
I would hire the guy with the most experience flying with a crew, flying in WX, flying a multi-engined heavy jet, flying internationally. That is what most airlines do in their day-to-day operations.

Nothing against fighter guys though.

RJP said:
Sluggo,did someone actually consider the Tweet a 'tactical' aircraft? No way!
Yeah, UAL did, and in the FedEx app, I had the choice of putting my Tweet time in Military Jet (Transport) or Military Jet (Tactical). So it went into Tactical.

I don't think they differentiate due to 'quality' of time, but to equalize the hours. In 1000 KC-135 sorties, I would have 4,500 hours, when the same 1000 T-37 sorties would only yield 1,300 hours. I think they add a factor to the tactical sorties to make the flight times a bit more equal.

Not the facts, just my $.02

Sluggo

Last edited:
Flyingdude said:
Yeah, I'd like to see all these military guys fly single pilot in something that does not quickly climb to 370 (or 170 for that matter). By the way, try this in the mountains in the winter time in the middle of the night. Did I forget to mention you have no AP. Try this and then get back to me about how ANY military time is the best, that is a joke. Oh wait, you guys have never had to fly in such adverse conditions, yet you are the best. Odd don't you think?
When I was 25, I was in the left seat of a heavy 4-engine airplane going across the Atlantic to land at Frankfurt International. Does that experience count for anything? Or should airlines only look at flying time logged in a C421 from DesMoines to Topeka with checks in the back.

I respect everything you all-civilian guys did to build your time. I'm glad I didn't have to do that. You guys have done lots of things I haven't. But just because I didn't do the things you did, don't take anything away from our flying experience either.

Sluggo

canyonblue said:
The best pilot is the one who knows it but doesn't say it. They are the ones to first complement a fellow pilot when flying with them all the while feeling a little embarrassed by the complements shot their way.

Who's the best pilot?.....................

exactly. well said, canyonblue. ....now back to the catfight, ladies!

DAL737FO said:
O.K. All of you guys are wrong. The best military time is helicopters (TIC). Come on admit it we are the best training for the airlines. I just can't get the instructors to stop screaming when I slow down to a hover on final. Wimps!
Well, ya gotta admit it's a little unnerving when you get to the Decision Height, no field in sight, it's time to go-around, and you pull back on the throttles and push forward on the stick!

. . . memories of fixed-wing qual at Vance . . . :)

I think we need another catagory or two in addition to the Major - Regional - Furloughed etc etc board.

We could have one for Military vs Civilian, one for Delta vs DCI, maybe one for Boxers vs Briefs........

Latest resources

Back