• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

More valuable military flight time?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think the perfect solution would be fly fighters young when you want to be spending time in Korea or Italy and in the middle east. Work hard at that and then go be a heavy pilot and go to Germany, Japan, and the middle east. Enjoy the slowing down of your mission and realize that your most offensive weapon is a flare.

Then figure out which is better for you, a $25000 a year bonus plus all the military tax breaks (and BS) and retirement at age 42, or getting a line # at an airline at a young age having no retirement and still deal with some BS.

(Oh, by the way I picked the airline stuff myself.) my training class had three military, one fighter, one heavy, one heavy/fighter crossflow.

I think PIC is what really counts.

I was around an airline dominated by military pilots although I myself was not one of them. I can tell that there is no better place to get trained than the in the military services of the U.S. The training that these folks receive exceeds anything you will ever see in the civilian sector. i.e., FSI or Simuflite. As for busts, I do not believe that anyone ever tracked the backgrounds of those who busted initial training, a sim check or line check. It just was not done and since I oversaw the flight standards on both the MD11 and B777 I think I know of which I speak. Your assertion that it was or is tracked is pure bull**CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**. As far as how pilots were treated, whether civialian or military? Didn't make a tinkers **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** after you were hired. You were now a pilot for brand x, and that was all that mattered. There were no standards for civilians and another for military. Just did not happen. I guess if you are real insecure about your heritage, then you probably could make up or dream up any number of reasons why the military guys/gals were somehow inferior to your own origins or were prima- donas.

Personnaly I really enjoyed the military crowd. Some great aviation stories and life experiences. And yes, the fighter pilots were the best or at least most interesting. Then all you had to do was figure out which was the best out of the Navy, Marines and Air Force. I'll leave that to another time. I salute all the guys and gals who have come through the military flight training programs as they have IMHO already been well tested in there initial training experiences.

I am around several people today in my flying job that have a real problem with military pilots. I can only guess that it's their own insecurity that makes them that way. To bad as I guess some folks never grow up.

I was around an airline dominated by military pilots although I myself was not one of them. I can tell that there is no better place to get trained than the in the military services of the U.S. The training that these folks receive exceeds anything you will ever see in the civilian sector. i.e., FSI or Simuflite. As for busts, I do not believe that anyone ever tracked the backgrounds of those who busted initial training, a sim check or line check. It just was not done and since I oversaw the flight standards on both the MD11 and B777 I think I know of which I speak. Your assertion that it was or is tracked is pure bull**CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**. As far as how pilots were treated, whether civialian or military? Didn't make a tinkers **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** after you were hired. You were now a pilot for brand x, and that was all that mattered. There were no standards for civilians and another for military. Just did not happen. I guess if you are real insecure about your heritage, then you probably could make up or dream up any number of reasons why the military guys/gals were somehow inferior to your own origins or were prima- donas.

Personnaly I really enjoyed the military crowd. Some great aviation stories and life experiences. And yes, the fighter pilots were the best or at least most interesting. Then all you had to do was figure out which was the best out of the Navy, Marines and Air Force. I'll leave that to another time. I salute all the guys and gals who have come through the military flight training programs as they have IMHO already been well tested in there initial training experiences.

I am around several people today in my flying job that have a real problem with military pilots. I can only guess that it's their own insecurity that makes them that way. To bad as I guess some folks never grow up.

Flying Dude

Flying Dude, I can understand that you have scared yourself. Part 135 in some parts of the country can be hairy at times. IMO one of the reasons is that typically these jobs go to timebuilders who are relatively inexperienced....1-2 years and 1000-2000 hours. They then leave for better jobs. If we had 10-20 year career pilots in these jobs the confidence level would be much higher and you wouldn't think you had to be Charles Lindbergh to be safe. The familiarity would lessen the strain that isput on young pilots.
Contrarily, there are some risks in the military that cannot be overcome with experience. I saw many fatal catapult accidents in the Navy and when when it happens it doesn't matter how much experience or rank you have..... the bullets and Sams hit C.O's and CAG's just as regular too. Most military guys know and many have done what you do. I doubt you know much what military pilots go through.

Flyingdude said:
Yeah, I'd like to see all these military guys fly single pilot in something that does not quickly climb to 370 (or 170 for that matter). By the way, try this in the mountains in the winter time in the middle of the night. Did I forget to mention you have no AP. Try this and then get back to me about how ANY military time is the best, that is a joke. Oh wait, you guys have never had to fly in such adverse conditions, yet you are the best. Odd don't you think?
I have flown through crappier weather in places you will only read or hear about on the news or National Geographic. Believe me, take a P-3 bagged out to 135,000 lbs and you will barely make 170, let alone a dreamy 370. As for adverse conditions--I don't know how many times I had to take a 30 yr old airplane with antiquated systems through adverse weather so we could help our guys on the ground put steel in the foreheads of bad guys. Oh, and then after doing that, fly a few more hours back to our base only to land in 30 kt crosswind conditions from the typhoon that just passed through. Take the chip on your shoulder and place it deep and forcefully into your backside.

The best pilot is the one who knows it but doesn't say it. They are the ones to first complement a fellow pilot when flying with them all the while feeling a little embarrassed by the complements shot their way.

Who's the best pilot?.....................

Flyingdude said:
Example: Flowback washout rate at Eagle compared to the washout rate by a new hire. All that "heavy metal" time and still washing out more than the so called "inexperienced regional new hire." Makes you wonder, huh? Facts are Facts.
The fact is that they have a mainline seniority number and YOU DON'T.

My **** is bigger

Rhoid said:
The fact is that they have a mainline seniority number and YOU DON'T.
Like someone said earlier, I've never heard a mil. dude bust on a civilian guy, only the other way around or when the chips start showing. Nobody likes a chipper. So settle down Francis. And since you bozos keep throttling the issue: there's two types of pilots, those that were trained by the military, and those that wish they were. Have a nice day.

hr2eternity said:
Like someone said earlier, I've never heard a mil. dude bust on a civilian guy, only the other way around or when the chips start showing. Nobody likes a chipper. So settle down Francis. And since you bozos keep throttling the issue: there's two types of pilots, those that were trained by the military, and those that wish they were. Have a nice day.

Actually pal, i'm on your side. I can't stand the commuter boys attitudes to the military pilots. Their jealousy is so obvious.

Flyingdude quote:

"Oh wait, you guys have never had to fly in such adverse conditions, yet you are the best. Odd don't you think?"

You're being ridiculous! Try landing on an aircraft carrier at night at mins with a pitching deck after a 5 hour mission! Good luck.

Latest resources

Back