• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Al Coholic

February 3, 2005

To: The Comair Team

Re: ERJ Visiting Cincinnati on February 11

Our proposal to work with pilots and flight attendants on Comair’s growth strategy is generating

a lot of questions and comments. There are three things I continue to hear from our work groups.

One is we want the operation to begin humming again. Second, people want to be part of one

Comair team again. Third, we want to be on the move and make the right decisions to ensure

Comair is here and offering job security 10 years from now. Many of you are very curious about

the ERJ-170. Getting more CRJ700s or the ERJ-170 depends on our ability to secure delivery

positions and financing. We are very interested in the ERJ-170, and if a picture is worth a

thousand words, the real thing is even better. That is why we are arranging to have an ERJ visit

our Cincinnati operation next Friday, February 11, for a static display and demonstration flight.

More information on the ERJ visit will be forthcoming as soon as we finalize the details.

Obviously, proposing a Comair solution that includes pilots and flight attendants to position the

company for the next 10 years has prompted questions. I want to take this opportunity to address

a few of the questions that have been asked most frequently while I have been in the crew lounges

or out in the operation. Please remember that we are working with union representatives to review

the details of our proposal.

[font=TimesNewRoman,Bold]
Q: Does your pay freeze proposal mean that a first-year first officer will continue to receive

first-year pay in the second year and over the life of an extended contract?
[/font]
A: First officers entering their second year would move up to the second-year pay level and

remain there during the freeze. Our intent is to discuss this same issue with the flight attendant

union. As well, first-year first officers and flight attendants along with the entire pilot and flight

attendant groups would participate in the Performance Pay Program, which provides annual

compensation based on the airline’s operational performance targeted at $1,200 for vested

employees. In 2004 the program paid out $540. The key is the entire Comair team would now be

rewarded for the operational performance of the airline.
Q: If the pilots and flight attendants agree to your proposal, are the growth aircraft

guaranteed?
[/font]
A: In exchange for agreeing to the proposal, we commit to at least 10 additional CRJ200s and 25

additional 70-seat aircraft – either CRJ700s or ERJ-170s. Unless delivery positions are secured

and aircraft show up on the property there will be no changes to the working agreements.
Q: What happens to Comair’s current fleet of 164 CRJs if pilots and flight attendants do

not agree to the pay freeze proposal? Can those aircraft be taken away from Comair?
[/font]
A: My focus is making the decisions that make Comair a premier regional carrier for the next 10

years. That is why I feel we have to move now. I am not spending a lot of time focusing on what

happens if we cannot achieve our goal, but obviously the options are not as bright as they are if

we can capture this opportunity.
Q: Does the pay freeze last until we reach a new collective bargaining agreement?
[/font]
A: We have proposed that longevity would kick back in at the end of the freeze.
Q: Why did you extend the agreements for one year?
[/font]
A: If I am successful in locking in the delivery positions for 70-seat airplanes, that means we will

still be taking deliveries in 2006 and 2007. We will have to work on permanent financing during

that time for the deliveries versus interim financing that would come from the manufacturer. That

requires a stable environment at the company. We are in discussions to lock in manufacturing

slots in 2006 and 2007. We are guaranteeing that all deliveries are to happen by the first half of

2008. That would be 35 aircraft deliveries in about as many months – a pretty aggressive

schedule.
Q: If someone moves to a captain slot, would they stay frozen at first officer pay?
[/font]
A: No, if you upgrade to captain you would get captain pay. If you upgrade to a 70-seat first

officer position, you would get pay for that level. That is why there is ultimately more goodness

than badness in our proposal.
Q: Why are you proposing a pay freeze versus a pay cut to get airplanes?
[/font]
A: I have to make this a Comair solution that is palatable to all work groups. I think with the pay

freeze proposal, we will be able to knit together an agreement that addresses our differences with

the other players in the industry. What we cannot do is deal with the pay increases scheduled in

June and longevity bumps thereafter.
Q: How long does the pay freeze last and at what longevity and level do I come back when it

ends?

A:​
[/font]Although specific details remain subject to negotiation with the unions, here is a general

example of how our proposal would work. A five-year CRJ captain with an anniversary date of

July 1 who remains in that position will enter the pay freeze at the five-year pay scale of $68.13.

At years six and seven, the pay scale would remain at $68.13. When the freeze ends and

longevity resumes, at his anniversary date the captain would receive a rate of $70.23, which

would be the next longevity bump. More details will be shared after they have been negotiated

and agreed to with the union.

Q: How does this agreement benefit flight attendants?
[/font]
A: This is a Comair solution that involves all work groups and is necessary to get us where we

need to be 10 years from now. Obviously the flight attendants are an important part of that

solution. From a flight attendant perspective there are many positives. There would be 350 new

hires and about 160 flight attendants would move off reserve to become line holders, more senior

folks would have a chance to work on a more comfortable aircraft and with growth there is a

chance for more bases. Most important is that if we are growing we can offer more job security,

which is as good as we can ask for in today’s environment. Trying to provide stability and job

security for all Comair employees is my biggest concern. In addition the flight attendants will be

in the Performance Pay Program, which means all Comair employees are in the boat rowing

together.

Thank you again for the engaging dialogue and the professional warm welcome when I am out in

the operation. I look forward to moving all three of our major corporate initiatives forward with a

collaborative approach.

Well, FRED, needs to learn the correct terminology. The aircraft is called the Embraer 170. Ther "ERJ" term was dropped for the newer and bigger aircraft by Embraer itself.

Oh my god I can already see the nerds running around this plane with their digital cameras and pushing each other to get in and sit in their cool new plane.

This is a classic used car sales ploy. Instead of taking the car for a test drive, you tell the sucker, er buyer, to take the car home for the night. "Put her in your garage, drive it to work in the morning". They go home and pick up the wife in the new car and the sale is done right then and there. Fred is fishing for 51% and he knows he already has all the poor bastards on reserve. What makes this whole thing pathetic is that it will probably work. What the heck, a two or three year pay freeze isn't a concession even though it takes tens of millions of dollars directly out of your pocket.

I went on an airliner demo flight once, and it was a blast. But we weren't asked to give three years in concessions to go for the ride.

I'll go see the plane, and even if I take a pay freeze I'll make more than any of you pukes that post on this webboard....flying the same equipment. So go ahead and talk about the race to the the bottom and then let's compare w-2's.

Waco

StaySeated said:
Oh my god I can already see the nerds running around this plane with their digital cameras and pushing each other to get in and sit in their cool new plane.

This is a classic used car sales ploy. Instead of taking the car for a test drive, you tell the sucker, er buyer, to take the car home for the night. "Put her in your garage, drive it to work in the morning". They go home and pick up the wife in the new car and the sale is done right then and there. Fred is fishing for 51% and he knows he already has all the poor bastards on reserve. What makes this whole thing pathetic is that it will probably work. What the heck, a two or three year pay freeze isn't a concession even though it takes tens of millions of dollars directly out of your pocket.

"THE NERDS ARE BACK, AND THEY'RE BAAAADDDD!"

--Revenge of the Nerds 2

Bye Bye--General Lee

Wacopilot said:
I'll go see the plane, and even if I take a pay freeze I'll make more than any of you pukes that post on this webboard....flying the same equipment. So go ahead and talk about the race to the the bottom and then let's compare w-2's.

Waco

Flame on, wackopilot.

I guess money can't buy class...tailwinds Wacopilot..

Latest resources

Back