• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

More planes for ExpressJet

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Seems like you operate like your MEC, using the website as the extent of your research.;) Like I said, keep your flight line or no merger ultimatum. We will all see what happens. And I can guess that it won't be good for either group and it would definitely be worse than just going with smartpref.

I have seen the notes, questions and answers, from the meetings w/smart pref. I was not impressed.

Even though there's L-ASA pilots that ACTUALLY know how it's operated and will say the opposite of your statement above?

As well as globalization happens, although it's just manually done?

Unstacking has taken place last year 4 times for less than a few days. It only involved a very very small group of pilots on a certain aircraft and seat. Your product does it on a monthly basis, on every aircraft and every seat, and you have no control of it.

We did not volunteer for anything. Management was going to use PBS for phase 2. Our MEC asked them to use smartpref because it's what they felt was going to be the only PBS with the possibility to maintain our existing QOL. You won't be the guinea pig, we are. If its as bad as you think it's going to be, we won't want it. So just relax and at least educate yourself.
We did.

Also, my understanding is that flight line may honor seniority but at the expense of socializing everyone's lines.
Wrong again

A year late (literally) and a dollar short. That version of smartpref is generic with no work rules. Your MEC still refuses to use real pairings with real work rules. In fact, I believe they haven't run ANY pairings with smartpref. But keep up the flight line or no merger ultimatum and we will all find out what happens.

Wrong again. They did and I have seen them also.

Unstacking has taken place last year 4 times for less than a few days. It only involved a very very small group of pilots on a certain aircraft and seat. Your product does it on a monthly basis, on every aircraft and every seat, and you have no control of it.

Funny, there are L-ASA pilots on here that will disagree with you. Ask "CaptOveur", he's stated in a few times.

Does he not know what he's talking about? It's easier to take his word for something over yours.

Wrong again. They did and I have seen them also.

Ok, maybe I'm wrong. Can you quote me your white paper where it said you tested a non-generic version of smartpref with real ASA pairings from a particular month/base/seat? Can you quote the conclusions of said testing and what it would take to maintain your QOL or if it can't, why not?

I guess I missed it.

If that's your motto I guess you would turn down someone giving you a 2013 Corvette. No one in the general population has driven it, so it must be bad. No one has SmartPref because it is a "new" product.
SmartPref was introduced in 2004 (9 years ago). It is NOT a "new" product. In 9 years, after many groups have evaluated SmartPref, including FedX, there is not 1 single customer. Why has no one signed up for SmartPref? Maybe, because they saw unfavorable characteristics to crewmembers? Please get your facts straight.

It's not everyday that pilot groups change bidding systems. In this case, this "new" product might have worked out kinks from other bidding systems and added some new useful features, but you are not willing to consider it because you love your "old model."
Again, SmartPref, this NOT "new" product was introduced in 2004. Actually, it may be older than most other PBS systems. Flightline's PrefBid was introduced in early 2009--5 years after SmartPref. PrefBid signed up 2 airlines in early 2009, and subsequently signed at least 5 other carriers. The pilots at L-ASA have now used the software for 24 months and the pilot satisfaction is reported very high. Very few pilots would desire to go back to line bidding. PrefBid is a proven product and has been battle tested. SmartPref has very little actual history other than running a simulated exercise on a desktop.

Last edited:
Seems like you operate like your MEC, using the website as the extent of your research.;) Like I said, keep your flight line or no merger ultimatum. We will all see what happens. And I can guess that it won't be good for either group and it would definitely be worse than just going with smartpref.

PrefBid will give pilots more schedule satisfaction than SmartPref. Please, get over the fact that L-ASA uses it. It's the system and the rules, not the pilot group. SmartPref has no rules except to stuff 8 lbs in a 5 lb bag. A computer will pick half the trips on your line except for the pilots in McPickles upper seniority range. He will get what he bids. Why shouldn't the rest of the pilots junior to him? Why should the software have that much authority?

Yea look what happened in those terminator movies when the computers took over. But seriously, you are kcufed with any new system. Go with something that is tried and true, unless it means a pissing contest with a merger company... Then kcuf that!!! Go with the totally unproven stuff and show those guys!!!!

Ok, maybe I'm wrong. Can you quote me your white paper where it said you tested a non-generic version of smartpref with real ASA pairings from a particular month/base/seat? Can you quote the conclusions of said testing and what it would take to maintain your QOL or if it can't, why not?

I guess I missed it.

And can you show me where your entire pilot group has used the product during a monthly bid process? I didn't think so.

Latest resources

Back