• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

More jets for Comair??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The oldest CRJ 100s at Comair are actually over 10 yrs. old (about 11yrs old...first deliveries were in 1993...North American launch customer) and have upwards of 25,000 plus hours on them. The number of cycles escape me, but they are high also. The first a/c (#7011 or 7013, can't recall exactly either) was returned to Bombardier early this year so they could dismantle it and see where the wear and tear is. My recollection from training is that Bombardier said that the CRJ's economic useful life was somewhere in the vicinity of 80,000 cycles...

As far as the remainder of the rumor, well it's always good to fantasize...only Mama Delta knows what the plans are at this point.

My recollection from training is that Bombardier said that the CRJ's economic useful life was somewhere in the vicinity of 80,000 cycles

80,000 cycles is the service life of a DC-9. No way the CRJ is built even close to reaching those numbers. You can't even rub up against it without it denting.

30 Dojets + $300 Mil=30 CRJ's

80,000 cycles, one of the 1968 F-27 500's I flew back in 99 had 88,000 cycles on it and was starting to really show its age. Of course the airframe the was only averaging 40 cycles or so a month in its freight life and was never coming close to its max pressure differential in flight. I am curious to see what the impact 10+ cycles a day would have on 11 year old CRJ's at CMR. As far as I know the Fokker is still in operation, with just a guess at the math it would have over 90,000 cycles on it.

DoinTime said:
80,000 cycles is the service life of a DC-9. No way the CRJ is built even close to reaching those numbers. You can't even rub up against it without it denting.

Please, you're probably thinking of the ERJ which is made out of paper. The Canadair is a very solid machine.

Here's another article that makes things even more confusing:

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1091830209821&call_pageid=968350072197&col=968705923364

They mention the 32 CRJ's being delivered next year, but as we all know CMR isn't supposed to get those. 25 are supposed to go to ASA and 7 to SKYW.

Of course, it could just be bad media reporting. My guess is that the financing is either for additional CRJ's to replace the FRJ's OR financing for the remaining CR7's being delivered later this year (although I would think CMR already had those financed).

MedFlyer said:
OR financing for the remaining CR7's being delivered later this year (although I would think CMR already had those financed).

I was just going to suggest this same thing.

Latest resources

Back