More fuel savings in the future

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

chase

Heard on the line the other day that SWA has come to an agreement with Boeing to re-skin the -300s with reinforcements...the agreement will extend the life of the airplane for 25,000 cycles...putting it out there with a longer life will now make fiscal sense to put winglets on the -300s...the fuel savings on the 700s has been so good it made sense to do this but only once the life of the -300s has been extended. Mission accomplishment. Project will begin next spring or summer. Down time for the airplane will be under 2 weeks as projected to do re-skinning & winglets (if memory serves me correctly).

New electronic flightbag (similar to FEDEX...be interested in views on that, pls post your thought Fedex folks) is coming soon. Wireless technology via XM satellite radio will be the vehicle to make this work. Under $20K per airplane to keep us up to speed....savings for OJI injuries for flightbag related injuries will help pay for this along with the savings in other related areas...real time weather pics while sitting at the gate or while flying (something other than the standard radar pic) will be a tremendous advantage.

SWA this year has been retrofiting the aircraft with life preservers and training crews on their use....the new offshore limits will go into effect 1 Jan (the last word I heard) which will save SWA many millions of dollars. Fuel savings are still occuring to offset the higher fuel costs from diminishing fuel hedges....it won't make up all of the difference but it is an effort to make an effort to control the consumption side of the house.

Other good developments also coming....hirings still to be on track....haven't heard whether it is the 500 or 700 (as has been reported on here...I haven't heard the higher number but I haven't spoken to any PD in quite awhile) range but regardless the news is still good. For those wishing to come to SWA, good luck....to everyone a happy Thanksgiving to you & your families...to those service members who are serving their country & missing your families, our prayers are with you & your family...God Bless you & what you are doing. To those families who are under stress in this incredibly crazy business we call the airline industry, our prayers are with you also....many on here wish you & your families will find the peace you are looking for....good luck & God Bless to you also.

From a DAL MX senior engineer:
Apparently SWA went to Boeing about the -300's not living up to their advertised life expectancy (cycles) and basically said that they wanted -700 replacments at what amounted to being below cost for Boeing. Boeing came back and said that they would provide the new skins and a service life extension program for the -300's free of charge. This is what lead to the decision to winglet the airplanes and more than likely (his words) glass cockpit retrofit for -700 commonality.

This guys also told us that the mx dept got a "sample" composite 787 fuselage panel to play with and to give feedback to Boeing about. He said they have been unable to damage it so far despite trying many different things. They said it is incredibly light and strong.

Loogie said:
This guys also told us that the mx dept got a "sample" composite 787 fuselage panel to play with and to give feedback to Boeing about. He said they have been unable to damage it so far despite trying many different things. They said it is incredibly light and strong.

Um, perhaps they should turn it over to a friendly neighborhood rampie? I've never known a piece of airplane a rampie couldn't break. PM me for my address to send said material :)

with or without a pro-vo truck?

Chase...

Thanks, and Happy Thanksgiving to your family, as well.

Any idea what affect the side letter vote last Wednesday will have on new hire classes?

I doubt the side letter will change things too much, maybe a class or two will be delayed but until we run the tests no one really knows how much productivity will be affected. The test period ends in August anyway.

The new contract is another story, the company has stated many times that they want productivity improvements and that that is their primary goal in the negotiations. If the new contract does in fact make a big change in productivity it could delay classes for a while. The negotiations are due to kick off in April...

F16TJ,

Thanks...family holiday was great....last chance to see a nephew before he goes to Iraq...always tough but the family has 3 more in the pipeline...to all of the families who have members going, coming or staying, my best wishes....as for your question, I don't have an answer...I suspect the SWAPA/SWA joint scheduling team will be looking at this on Monday AM with an announcement shortly thereafter....have no way of knowing for sure but I'll be seeing some of the folks early next week who will know or will know shortly, I'll pass along what is found out...look for it on the SWAPA forum first...hope you & your family had a good one...cheers & contact me when you get to big D...

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back