More Freedom flying

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

azpilot

And you think the Mesa folks aren't going to lose jobs???

America West Announces New Service for Memphis, Tenn.
Monday January 6, 3:09 pm ET

PHOENIX, Jan. 6 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- America West (NYSE: AWA - News), the nation's largest low-fare, full-service airline, announced today that it will initiate new service between its Phoenix hub and Memphis, Tenn. Beginning on April 6, 2003, the airline that introduced business-friendly fares with fewer restrictions will offer Memphis travelers the flexibility and affordability they deserve.
Memphis will be America West's first destination in Tennessee, and the airline's extremely popular business-friendly fares will revolutionize the way Memphis customers will travel. America West offers everyday fares that are 40 to 70 percent below most other major carriers and do not require a Saturday night stay. In addition, customers in Tennessee will enjoy America West's outstanding operational performance and friendly ticketing policies, which allow unused tickets to retain their value for a year and allow customers to fly stand by for free on the same day as their originally scheduled flight.

"We continue to look for strategic opportunities where America West can bring low fares to airports that are dominated by high fare carriers," said Dion Flannery, vice president, scheduling and route planning. "We're excited to be bringing America West's low fare competition to our first destination in the Volunteer State."

America West Express, operated by Freedom Airlines a subsidiary of Mesa Air Group, will provide the two daily nonstop, roundtrip flights utilizing the 64-seat Canadair Regional Jet, which features seating for six in first class and 58 in the main cabin. This new service will offer customers connections to 44 cities across the western U.S., Canada and Mexico.

The flight schedule for the new service between Phoenix and Memphis is listed below.

How long is that flight? PHX-BNA in SWA is 3 1/2 hours and thats in a 737......3 1/2 to 4 hours in a CRJ700 is insane!

Depends...

How long is that flight? PHX-BNA in SWA is 3 1/2 hours and thats in a 737......3 1/2 to 4 hours in a CRJ700 is insane!

I don't know what series 73 SWA was using but I think the CRJ700 might be capable of higher cruising speed then some of the older 73s.

I'm pretty sure that the -700 is faster than the 73. MEM is also alot closer than BNA.

F%&* you, you Freedom bastards, You guys get this letter while we get a letter telling us that it is our falts that we at Mesa are over staffed. The number in the letter is really nice 120, lets see 90 pilots at Freedom and 28 in ground school. Sounds like a preaty close 1 for 1 to me and no I am not talking about airplanes, we already know one crj is parked for eveyone of yours that comes on line. And you dumb sh*t airline pilots can tell JO to stop sending me these letter on how great it is over there and how he cant train his guys fast enough, and yes I mean HIS guys, I have sent him letters back but it doesent seem to get through his thick head. It is also great to be put on the bottom of the list when our aircraft has a MTX issue so they can check you tire pressure, wait for the crapper to be empty because they are waiting for you to come in since you called in range 15 min ago, aircraft to be restocked because your one coke short. OK I will stop know and keep walking with your head down and turning the other way when we see ya in the PHX airport, Joe public really gets a good feeling when they all see their pilots look at nothing but the floor. But then again if they knew what kind of spinless bastards you guys were they may have another feeling. Have fun flying the aircraft I and my friends have worked our asses off for over the last 8 years. But then again you deserve a capt seat you have been in a regional for all of two years now. RIGHT

SB

Why all the hate?

I'm new to this discussion - What is all of the hate about?

73 vs CRJ

I ride a CRJ to get to work every other Thursday from now until end of Feb and have many times in the past to get to Toledo from FLL. I personally think the RJ on a 2 hr flight is a bit uncomfortable. But I always get an isle seat at least.

For whats its worth....

The CRJ-700 is MUCH more comfortable than the 50. They lowered the floor by 5 inches and raised the ceiling by 7 inches, thus given the pax more leg and elbowroom. The windows seem to be in more of a natural position then on the 50(not so low). All of DCI’s 700’s have the same legroom as the 757’s. So a 2 ½ to 3 hour flight is doable.

Re: Why all the hate?

Vardog said:
I'm new to this discussion - What is all of the hate about?

The individuals flying for Freedom Air (a non-union, alter-ego carrier) are selling out themselves and other professional pilots.

They are doing the same job, flying the same aircraft, on the same routes as a regular Mesa Airlines pilot for below what are already substandard wages. In other words, their self-serving attitude got the better of them.

John Ornstein is using them as a wedge to stick between the professional pilots who make up Mesa Airlines. He is using these individuals (notice I don't refer to them as pilots) to circumvent a contract that he made with Mesa pilots. He is using them to intimidate Mesa pilots while it is him that had to be ordered back to the negotiating table by a court order.

These are the types of individuals who will cross a picket line. Because there is no struck work, they are one step above a scab....barely.

The individuals flying for Freedom Air (a non-union, alter-ego carrier) are selling out themselves and other professional pilots.
Just like all the PFT scums from ASA, ACA, Comair, COEX etc. all did.

Latest resources

Back