• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

More Delta Trouble

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
DL doesn't need BK to get additional paycuts and pension relief. Both can be gotten outside of BK....even from the mainline pilots.

In DL's case, BK would primarily be used for debt reduction. DL's debt burden is so extreme that the company will struggle for many years in the future. Even if DL manages to return to profitability, DL will have a hard time competing with other airlines that aren't forking out hundreds of millions in interest payments alone.

However, it's quite possible that DL is beyond the point of using the bankruptcy system. The company is so leveraged that a CH11 filing would likely become a CH7 liquidation. DL's management may have put the company in a position where they either restructure outside of the courts or liquidate....no sitting in CH11 for years like UAL.

General Lee said:
Again, Boyd just stated a few months ago that all of the 50 seat RJs would be in the boneyard by now. He also thought UAL would be Chap 7 by now. He is looking for newspaper bites. Did he jusr figure out that fuel prices were a problem? Somebody tell him that three fuel surcharges have stuck now....

Bye Bye--General Lee

Boyd also said that after the AA cutbacks in October of 03' that AA would completely pull out of STL by April of 04'. Wrong again, this guy is an idiot!

General Lee said:
I can see the non-union people losing another 10-15%, and then heavy maintenance will be wiped away in favor of outsourcing (what everyone else is doing), and other major changes.

In the mean time, DL's honchos have to do whatever it takes to survive.....

The Grand, All-knowing and Benevolent GL would not blink at:
1. Outsorcing all the mech's jobs to Canada (everyone's doing it)
2. Cutting the pay of all other employees by 15% (the dumb b*stards have no unions)
3. Furloughing every other mainline pilot with a seniority number higher than GL's (tough s**t, they're juniors)

Why not? He and all the other seniors on the list have just come off the best three years of their careers, all the while claiming that Delta was exagerating the financial warnings during that time. DALPA's delay in the negotiations and taking action led directly to the problems which have essentially shut down recalls.

GL is no different than Leo.

MedFlyer said:
DL doesn't need BK to get additional paycuts and pension relief. Both can be gotten outside of BK....even from the mainline pilots.

I'll bet you Delta doesn't get another dime from the pilots outside of BK. I know I won't give em any more.

michael707767 said:
I'll bet you Delta doesn't get another dime from the pilots outside of BK. I know I won't give em any more.

As long as the line pilots continue to feather their own nests, by reducing the rate of recall (through bull s**t like letting early retirees continue as contract workers) therefore making the furloughees fund the $$ needed, I am sure you are correct.

You b*stards with the votes will do everything you can to keep every last dime in your own stinking pockets.

michael707767 said:

I don't think the pilots will be the first place DL looks for additional cuts. There are easier places to cut....as evidenced by yesterday's maintenance cuts. But if DL gets desperate, they will come knocking. Keep in mind, DL pilots are still some of the highest paid in the industry...despite the fact that DL has one of the lowest yielding networks.

If DL management starts talking CH7, I think a lot of pilots will all of the sudden become amenable to additional cuts. I know many on this board will thump their chests and say "No More", but when it comes down to a 10% paycut versus liquidation, many will change their tune. Remember, DL only needs 50%+1.

Hopefully, it won't come to this and DL won't need anymore labor cuts...pilot or otherwise. But with the chaos of this industry, it's hard to know where DL is headed.

MedFlyer said:
I don't think the pilots will be the first place DL looks for additional cuts. There are easier places to cut....as evidenced by yesterday's maintenance cuts. But if DL gets desperate, they will come knocking. Keep in mind, DL pilots are still some of the highest paid in the industry...despite the fact that DL has one of the lowest yielding networks.

If DL management starts talking CH7, I think a lot of pilots will all of the sudden become amenable to additional cuts. I know many on this board will thump their chests and say "No More", but when it comes down to a 10% paycut versus liquidation, many will change their tune. Remember, DL only needs 50%+1.

Hopefully, it won't come to this and DL won't need anymore labor cuts...pilot or otherwise. But with the chaos of this industry, it's hard to know where DL is headed.

Why would DL's management talk Chapter 7 (very extreme) when UAL and USAirways have been surviving (maybe even thriving with the ability to offer cheaper fares) in Chapter 11 for years? Give me a break. Talking about Chapter 7 would cause the stock to tank even further and shareholders would not be happy. Clearly, if Chapter 11 were the best course of action at this point, Delta would have likely ALREADY taken that path.

On Your Six said:
GL is no different than Leo.

Now that is hilarious!!!!!!!!!!

You're right OY6.

My extreme exaggeration of the comparison is comical.

Unfortunatley, we are in a zero-sum game; those that are most successfully in taking from other groups to benefit their own group will be the relative winners.

Leo was a master, of national staure, at spinning facts to enrich himself and his management team. He kept the plates in the air for several years before they fell.

GL, as an armchair, chat-board amateur, attempts to play the same game, attacking other pilot groups within DALPA and ALPA in an attempt to minimize the negative economic impact on his group: himself and all other DL pilots senior to him.

As Leo fell in disgrace, so will GL and his constituency.

Last edited:
On Your Six said:
Why would DL's management talk Chapter 7 (very extreme) when UAL and USAirways have been surviving (maybe even thriving with the ability to offer cheaper fares) in Chapter 11 for years? Give me a break.

Great quote On Your Sex....

That makes a lot of sense..

UAL and USAirways are still bleeding like stuck pigs.....

They are THRIVING!!!

Must be those EMB190 rates...
Wow...

Just think when they actually start to fly!!

Latest resources

Back