• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Fuel costs, 'foolish' steps put Delta in jeopardy

By Chris Kauffmann

Orlando Business Journal

Updated: 7:00 p.m. ET March 27, 2005

ORLANDO -- Soaring aviation fuel prices have pushed Delta Air Lines further into a financial tailspin that some analysts say already was deepened by "foolish" strategic moves. As a result, they say, what takes off has to land -- somewhere, even if it's in bankruptcy court.

That fate is the problem yet again facing Delta, Orlando International Airport's largest passenger carrier, just a few short months after it squeezed about $1 billion in concessions out of its pilots and put in place a restructuring plan.

"The biggest wild card we see for Delta is fuel. They are pretty much at the mercy of fuel prices," says Brian Hayward, a transportation analyst with Zacks Investment Research in Chicago.

Aviation fuel prices have gone up more than 40 cents a gallon since January -- to $1.56 as of March 15 -- and 64 percent since March of 2004, according to the American Petroleum Institute.

"I see this as a very serious challenge for Delta," says Henry Harteveldt, a San Francisco-based airline analyst for Forrester Research Inc. "The big difference between this time and the last time is (Delta) doesn't have a lot to play with this time."

As airline analyst Michael Boyd of The Boyd Group Inc. in Colorado sees it, this "is a crisis" impacting not only Atlanta-based Delta, but all airlines because "all airlines are effectively losing money. Things could get a lot worse because if you cut costs, they take awhile to manifest themselves, but when you pump fuel, it hits you right then," Boyd says.

Spokesman Anthony Black says the Delta (NYSE: DAL) won't "discuss the speculation of others." Delta, he adds, put its restructuring plan in place in September and has no plans to change anything at this point because of higher fuel prices.

Neither Harteveldt nor Boyd is terribly impressed with them, Harteveldt is more critical and sees fewer options.

Harteveldt says decisions by the carrier to eliminate things such as pillows and meals on certain types of flights do little to save money and even less to make the airline appealing to flyers, thereby giving them fewer reasons to choose it.

"They should be thinking about customer retention, but they are making absolutely foolish moves that will bite Delta right on its big southern behind," he adds.

Boyd, however, says eliminating pillows and meals in a liquidity crisis are perfectly fine, proactive moves because "most people don't even think about (those things)."

Still, Boyd believes Delta -- and the other airlines -- needs to do a lot more if it wants to become solvent, starting at its headquarters.

"They need to take a chainsaw to the place and get rid of anything that doesn't put a tushy in a seat," he says.

"They need to get rid of extraneous people and extraneous systems. Maybe they don't need two vice presidents of marketing or a secretary for every vice president," Boyd says. "How many check-in people do you need at the gate when everyone has already been checked in?"

When it comes to Delta's fare structure, neither Harteveldt nor Boyd have particularly good things to say.

Boyd notes that the airline cut a lot of fares customers couldn't buy anyway, while Harteveldt says the fact Delta hasn't raised fares on walk-up customers "signifies stupidity" because as last-minute shoppers, they are less price-sensitive.

Although there has been a lot of speculation that Delta might sell off subsidiary carriers such as Comair and Atlantic Southeast Airlines, analysts don't see it as an especially viable long-term solution.

"First, they have got to find a sucker to buy them," Boyd says, adding the subsidiary carriers generate their revenue tied to a system that has at the head an airline that isn't making any money.

Meanwhile, Karen Miller, spokeswoman for the Washington, D.C.-based Air Line Pilots Association, says the 64,000-member union is willing to give Delta the benefit of the doubt for the time being.
user_online.gif

General Lee said:
.... in the sense that all of the others left with their bonuses......

Bye Bye--General Lee

Oh, I just re-read the whole sentence. For a second I thought you were talking about another group at your company who with great indignation insisted for three years the $$$ situation wasn't that dire even while the industry reeled, then conveniently split at the last moment with nice fat wallets.

Sorry, my mistake.

Again, Boyd just stated a few months ago that all of the 50 seat RJs would be in the boneyard by now. He also thought UAL would be Chap 7 by now. He is looking for newspaper bites. Did he jusr figure out that fuel prices were a problem? Somebody tell him that three fuel surcharges have stuck now....

Bye Bye--General Lee

CatYaaak said:
Oh, I just re-read the whole sentence. For a second I thought you were talking about another group at your company who with great indignation insisted for three years the $$$ situation wasn't that dire even while the industry reeled, then conveniently split at the last moment with nice fat wallets.

Sorry, my mistake.

That's good. We gave them their "best three" and then a lot left, movomg the rest of us up and allowing recalls. Many left in their early to mid 50's. See ya! I view that as a good thing overall. Now, go back to coach Catyaaak!

Bye Bye--General Lee

DOES THAT BOYD GUY EVER SHUT UP? I SWEAR, EVERY TIME I READ A ARTICLE WHERE HE IS QUOTED, HE SAYS THAT COME "NEXT YEAR", ALL AIRLINES WILL BE DEAD AND WE WILL ALL BE SITTING AROUND IN CAVES CARVING PICTURES OF HORSES IN THE WALL WITH OUR FINGERNAILS. CAN YOU BELIEVE SOMEONE ACTUALLY PAYS FOR THIS GUY TO SPEW THIS CRAP?

rgd said:
Fuel costs, 'foolish' steps put Delta in jeopardy

Boyd, however, says eliminating pillows and meals in a liquidity crisis are perfectly fine, proactive moves because "most people don't even think about (those things)."

http://forums.flightinfo.com/images/statusicon/user_online.gif

Boyd is correct. We are automatons. We have no need for food, even less for comfort. The last remaining organic humaniods were destroyed many years ago. Now please excuse me , it's time to go power-down....right after I forcibly insert a brain-unit into Boyd's empty cranial compartment.

General Lee said:
That's good. We gave them their "best three" and then a lot left, movomg the rest of us up and allowing recalls. Many left in their early to mid 50's. See ya! I view that as a good thing overall. Now, go back to coach Catyaaak!

Bye Bye--General Lee

Hey, maybe as a "thank you" they'll forego the new boat you bought them and give you grocery money if it's needed next year.....not. However, the good news amidst all this bad news General, is that it's been so long since I rode on you guys the feeling is finally back in my legs with only a tolerable bit of residual discomfort, and by attending an intensive Shao Lin training crash-course at a secret temple in the Chinese Himilayas, I've successfully learned how to repress the pain and even memory or your flights to the darkest recesses of my brain that not even deep hypnosis can bring it back.

Remember when that David Carradine Kung Fu guy on TV brands his wrists by lifting the white-hot cauldron of coals, withstanding the excruciating pain and only fainting after he emerges from the cave exit?.....it's kind of like that when I de-plane one of your int'l 76's in Atlanta.

Boyd isn't any smarter than most of the regular posters on this board. He has been wrong so many times over the past few years I am surprised he is still quoted in the press.

Mach92-

Excellent post! Did you write it, or did you cut and paste from another source. If so, could you post the link? I found it very insightful incorporating PD's theory into the airline world and also very true.

DL Director of Maintenance Statement of the Week!!

Boy, am I glad that DAL are not hiring right now. I would have failed the geography quiz part of the selection process - had I followed the Dir of Mx's latest statement.
Just finished watching a segment on CNN reporting DAL's latest cost saving - outsourcing their mx to......Canada, to save more. DAL's director of mx was quoted as saying that "Canada is part of North America and as such, part of our domestic network". Really? What about Mexico? Belize, Guatemala perhaps?
Sounds like da mgmt have lost the picture, big time.....:D !!

Latest resources

Back