More Dates for ASA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Scoping out intellectual arguments

Well, since that part has not been TA'd, I'm holding out hope. I will not vote for any TA that does not include protection from what I believe Skywest/Delta is planning after the contract gets signed, which is retire ASA 200's and replace them with a Skywest (or Pinnacle/Mesa) 900. They are set up in ATL now, and given the choice of giving replacement airframes to ASA or Skywest....JA will pick Skywest everyday and twice on Sunday! WE MUST PROTECT OUR JOBS!

You seem to have the position that its a foregone conclusion that ASA aircraft will be transfered to Skywest. Why is that? No not why you have the foregone conclusion but why is it that JA would WANT to transfer aircraft to Skywest? Two RATIONAL reasons come to mind.

1. It makes economic sense over the long term to transfer aircraft since Skywest operating costs are lower than ASAs. JA knows that lower operating costs makes the company more competitive and thus more secure.

If ASA compensation rates and operating costs are so far behind Skywest and the rest of the industry - why would that be the case? If that is true then WE should be the lower cost option. It should be the Skywest pilots who should be worrying about scope. Could it be that our operating costs are not? Depends on the individuals you ask and the sources you quote. Eclar Consulting completed an analysis of regional airline non-fuel related operating costs for Aviation Week and Space Technology that was published in the November 6, 2006 issue. According to their analysis, as of 2006, ASA labor rates were more expensive than SW and our operating costs were also. Its only one analysis but significant as they have no dog in this fight.

Since labor rates are tied to productivity and since operating costs are tied to both productivity and the operating culture of the pilots, flight attendants, and mechanics, you can't just compare labor rates. For example could it be that Skywest is more productive and therefore less expensive in moving passengers because their pilots fly across aircraft sizes? Could this possibly reduce the required numbers of crews Skywest has to hire compared to ASA? Nah - that couldn't be it, but I digress.

2. JA wants to transfer assets to an employee group that is overall more company friendly, and customer service oriented, knowing that those qualities ultimately manifest themselves in a more competitive market position.

Could it be that Skywest pilots are overall more happy with their working conditions than ASA pilots? How could it be that a non-union carrier has a better working environment - that can't happen! Everyone knows that unions deliver higher wages, better benefits, and better work rules - or do they? That is an arguable question with facts to support both sides.

Question? If these two conditions are true, then why don't we create an environment where the incentive is to transfer aircraft FROM SKYWEST to ASA?

All of you who are calling for the destruction of our customer service numbers, slowing down the operation, etc, are simply incentivizing JA to move ASA aircraft to SW. All of you who refuse to adhere to the fuel savings program are increasing operating costs and reducing profitability. Thus all you are doing is validating management's argument that they can't afford the compensation levels we are asking for. You call for improvements in scope but create precisely the environment that requires scope and incentivizes JA to break the union. In short, you are playing right into JA's hands - he must be laughing his ass off reading these posts.

The lack of critical thinking skills in some of these posts are downright scary.

The lack of critical thinking skills in some of these posts are downright scary.

Almost scary enough that some of us might forget to revise our Jepps, thereby crashing into a radio tower and killing many loved ones. Talk to me like I'm a child a little bit more, BW. It seems to be your strong suit, both in spoken and written word.

All of you who are calling for the destruction of our customer service numbers, slowing down the operation, etc, are simply incentivizing JA to move ASA aircraft to SW. All of you who refuse to adhere to the fuel savings program are increasing operating costs and reducing profitability. Thus all you are doing is validating management's argument that they can't afford the compensation levels we are asking for. You call for improvements in scope but create precisely the environment that requires scope and incentivizes JA to break the union. In short, you are playing right into JA's hands - he must be laughing his ass off reading these posts.

Brian, I have only one question, are your Jepps up to date? Putz.

You are not one of us, you are one of them. Your propensity for burying your nose in the rear end of whatever ASA manager your trying to impress that week is tiresome. Stop talking down to us and treating us like your children. You have no right to lecture anyone. You are quite possibly the only person at ASA with less credibility than Breiling.

Ps, "incentivizes" is not a word. Stop with the management-speak buzz words.

How many believe this meeting w/ the board is to issue the long awaited PROFFER OF ARBITRATION? The timing would be right to have a TA before the busy holiday tvl begins. The vote and official signing wouldn't be complete until early next year.

It'll just be turned down by ALPA, and the NMB knows that. They could still offer it to further delay things but they know it won't resolve anything. The company needs a deadline to work against/for, and a release is the only way for that to occur. Probally won't happen. May park us. Who knows.

The proffer would do just that, once ALPA rejects it the 30-day cooling off period begins.

The Jepps boy returns. I wonder if he was wearing his silly leather hat while writing this latest post.

BW, the problem with you is that while informed and accurate in many respects, you lack basic social skills required to back up you assesment of the topic. Therefore, you lose respect of your peers.

I lost respect for you after one week of your basic indoc class.

Then the fictional, Jepps article written in V1, were you made it clear that you believe you are far superior to all others.

Then your letter in the V files.

Need I say more about your social skills?

ok I will

You see Brian, you may find it cool within yourself, to be described as an "equal oportunity a$$hole" , but you have no friends, and deep down in your over worked brain you really do care what people think of you.

See, all these people you have around you are thinking to themselves, "dang I wish he'd shut the Fuc$ up!", yet your thinking your talking to a friend who values your opinion.

But I digress.

Medeco

The Jepps boy returns. I wonder if he was wearing his silly leather hat while writing this latest post.

BW, the problem with you is that while informed and accurate in many respects, you lack basic social skills required to back up you assesment of the topic. Therefore, you lose respect of your peers.

I lost respect for you after one week of your basic indoc class.

Then the fictional, Jepps article written in V1, were you made it clear that you believe you are far superior to all others.

Then your letter in the V files.

Need I say more about your social skills?

ok I will

You see Brian, you may find it cool within yourself, to be described as an "equal oportunity a$$hole" , but you have no friends, and deep down in your over worked brain you really do care what people think of you.

See, all these people you have around you are thinking to themselves, "dang I wish he'd shut the Fuc$ up!", yet your thinking your talking to a friend who values your opinion.

But I digress.

Medeco

Nicely put. My thoughts exactly, but much more eloquent. Cheers. :beer:

Latest resources

Back