More cuts coming at Netjets????

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Heavy Set

Interesting read from this website. Seems kinda harsh on the possible cuts the analyst suggests.

The Fractional Market: Business Jet Traveler Online

Here is a snippet of the actual article:

In the case of NetJets, some of its problems can be linked to the fact that it “has tried to be all things to all people,” Riegel said. The company’s Marquis jet card program and the need to buy charter to fulfill fractional flight requests layered in additional costs, he noted, “and it’s not surprising they dived into the red. The only way to dig out is to try to make money by selling shares.” But for many fractional providers, share sales are virtually nonexistent.

Although NetJets’ Marquis jet card sales offset some of the shareowner departures, “card activity creates as many problems as it solves,” Riegel said. In the fractional industry, he explained, there is an average of nine to 10 owners per airplane, and each of those owners places demand on each airplane. Marquis jet card buyers, however, average about 20 per airplane. “The more card business you do, the more people can demand the airplane,” he said.

NetJets’ losses for the first six months of this year translate into nearly $700,000 per airplane. “Those are terrifying numbers,” Riegel said. “Almost anything they do [to fix the problem] is going to take years.”

There remains a need for the fractional concept, but major providers have to revise their business models. NetJets has too many airplanes to serve its customers and, in Riegel’s view, should cut its fleet to around 170 airplanes versus the 500 it has now.

NetJets is allowing some owners to idle their shares by stopping flying, letting them keep the shares without paying the monthly management fee. Riegel said he expects these aircraft–which he estimates number approximately 160–to sit idle for a few months before NetJets asks the owners to resume paying management fees or sell their shares. “Many will pull the plug,” he said of owners who have held their shares in the hope that used aircraft prices would recover. “[That would] worsen the problem for the fractionals.”

So, do you think the consultant's estimation of customer demand resulting in hundreds of aircraft leaving the fleet is on target or off base?

I found this article on an APC thread and frankly, it is jar-dropping and I hope not going to come to fruition. I still think the economic improvement we are seeing may "reduce" the total number of fractional clients dropping/selling their shares. The question is whether sales of shares will be close to what they were in the past going forward - I doubt it.

Although I am sure Avantair and some of the lower-cost fractionals may benefit from defections from Netjets and others. Still, the article is pretty gloomy and it does not paint a good picture of the fractional business. Good luck to everyone involved!

Last edited:
My guess is NetJets turns a profit in 2010 and there will be no more layoffs. The crews that are still on property are going to be very busy over the next couple years.

My guess is NetJets turns a profit in 2010 and there will be no more layoffs. The crews that are still on property are going to be very busy over the next couple years.

And you base this on what and how many aircraft remaining in the fleet?

I agree that your new CEO will likely "do what it takes" to achieve profitability. He wants to be Warren's replacement and he will do what it takes as quickly as possible to impress Warren and the shareholders. I'm afraid he's the type who would use a hatchet instead of a scalpel to remove a mole.

You mean they'll have to actually work now instead of sitting at the Hyatt? I hope they don't have to start staying at holiday inn's. what is this industry coming to?

You mean you "HOPE" they turn a profit. Welcome to the world of "Airline type CEOs." Your new guy, as johnsonrod says, wants his Buffet's job. He will do whatever it takes to get a profit, regardless of what happens to the fleet or employees. Didn't Capt Underpants say Netjets was invincible, regardless of the economy, thanks to private owners getting rid of their jets and buying fractional shares? The days of careless spending look over unfortunately. Good luck to you guys.

Bye Bye---General Lee

You mean you "HOPE" they turn a profit. Welcome to the world of "Airline type CEOs." Your new guy, as johnsonrod says, wants his Buffet's job.
Not "my new guy" I was lucky enough to get a great job out of my home airport but that is besides the point. You're right, he will do what it takes to make money, but I don't think it will come much more on the expense of employees. The cut has been made and I am optimistic that will be it. Believe it or not most of us were not just 'sitting at the Hyatt' the last few months. Flying is picking up again over there and they are selling new shares. NetJets will be fine. I think a lot of people just want to see them fail. My prediction is that they will call people back sooner than expected.

You mean you "HOPE" they turn a profit. Welcome to the world of "Airline type CEOs." Your new guy, as johnsonrod says, wants his Buffet's job. He will do whatever it takes to get a profit, regardless of what happens to the fleet or employees. Didn't Capt Underpants say Netjets was invincible, regardless of the economy, thanks to private owners getting rid of their jets and buying fractional shares? The days of careless spending look over unfortunately. Good luck to you guys.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Yawn:rolleyes: More crap from a Netjets hater, and self proclaimed aviation expert

Latest resources

Back