Moral Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
AA717driver said:
I think the only mistake you've made so far is seeking moral guidance on this board! :eek:
High five to you bra...

flint4xx said:
Take the other job, and still offer to work for the old one part time. No contract to enforce, since you are, and have been only part time and are still willing to work.

I like this one.

Is there anything in the contract covering how much you must be available as a part-timer?

You say you are on-call like the full-timers, which sounds like you are getting hosed.

This comes down to your decision. Morally and ethically I dont see a problem with jumping ship if the employer is not living up to his end of the agreement. If he is, then take a look at the amount of the contract, how long is left on it, how long will be left on it in a couple of months when you are ready to move on, and see if you can work out some sort of arrangement to repay it.

If the contract stipulates that you will work as a part-timer with no bennies, but you have documentation that you are working as much as the full-timers, I say ask for bennies, if they dont come, get out and dont look back.

BD King said:
...confessing the sin of choking his chicken.

It's a sin? Crap, crap, crap.

<<<< Have to change my current position to "Going to hell."

English said:
I like this one.

I do too, but the problem is it's on-demand freight. I really don't think that idea would fly (no pun intended) with either employer. The one I'm at now, I have to be very close to given the 45 minute callout time.

There is nothing in the contract that says how much I must fly and/or be available. They just said when I started they wanted me to give a minimum of 3 days a week. Three turned into more, when I needed to make myself available to fly all the time just in hopes of getting a trip to pay the bills.

I've brought up the issue a few times, and been shot down because it's too slow and/or we've got enough pilots. They could probably get rid of me and a full-timer and still be covered.

I feel like a w'hore because I've given them no reason to put me on full time. I moved closer to make the 45 min. callout time, and I make myself available the same as the full-timers. Guess I did it to myself.

Thanks for the input so far everyone, it is appreciated!

k_EAT=ho_ME said:
It's a sin? Crap, crap, crap.
It depends, if you choke a chicken for food, it's not a sin. If you choke a chicken for fun...well, say three Hail Mary's and ten "Our father who art thou's"

FN FAL said:
It depends, if you choke a chicken for food, it's not a sin. If you choke a chicken for fun...well, say three Hail Mary's and ten "Our father who art thou's"

I'm confused. This is too much like trying to understand duty/rest times.

flint4xx said:
Take the other job, and still offer to work for the old one part time. No contract to enforce, since you are, and have been only part time and are still willing to work.

I agree with this one. HOWEVER, put it in writing that you are willing to do this and hand it to the boss. Ask him to put it into your personnel file.

After you have discussed this with your boss, send a letter to him and the company, return receipt requested, that states what your agreement is, i.e., you will continue to work P/T, or they said, "no we will not go after you for the training contract," etc., so you have a paper trail. That way, in case you leave, and they decide to come back at your later, you have proof of receipt by the company to show in court.

Just my two cents...

Kathy

Latest resources

Back