Moral Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

EatSleepFly

Have a bit of an ethical question for the wise people of flightinfo.

I took my current job as officially a "part timer" because they didn't have any full time positions open, and I was desperate for something. Because they indicated it would lead to a full-time position as soon as they had a need, I hesitantly took it. The pay rates are the same between FT and PT, but there is no monthly guarantee and no benefits for PT. Somehow, I fell into the same 5-6 days on, 1-2 day off schedule as the full-timers. On a pager, 45 minute callout time, 24 hours a day.

They pay is good (not great), as long as I'm flying. The schedule sucks, but I knew that going in. The problem is the lack of benefits, and the fact that when I don't fly, I make nothing. That just isn't going to work for me. Like everyone else, I have bills to pay. Also, if I were unfortunate enough to get into some kind of accident, I would be in serious trouble without benefits.

Here is my dilema. I signed a one year training contract. [Pause for everyone to chime in that I'm a dumbass] My choices were sign the contract, get paid during training, or don't sign and no pay during training. I was really getting behind on bills, training pay was pretty good, and I thought that full-time employment there would come soon, so I (stupidly) signed.

Anyways, as you've probably surmised, I'm considering jumping ship. My target company at the moment is the closest competition. Here's why:

- I had interviewed there before. It went well, but at the time they didn't have any openings. So I already have a foot in the door with the CP, so to speak.
- They are in a more favorable location for me.
- I am 135 PIC current and qualified and have a few hundred hours in one of their main types.
- Their base pay and benefits are better.
- Their schedule is better.
- They seem to be growing a little faster and have more opportunity for advancement into other aircraft.
- They have pretty low turnover, and from talking to their pilots on the road, they are pretty happy there.
- They have a mix of scheduled and on-demand flying, so when the on-demand business is slow (like now), they're still doing some flying.

I live in an at-will employment state and can't imagine that a judge would enforce a training contract where I am not making a guranteed income or receiving benefits. I should add that in 5 months, I have flown as much as or more than some of the other part-timers fly in a year.

I feel that when it comes right down to it, I have to look out for myself. Will future interviewers understand my reasons when I explain that I broke a contract? Should I include something in my resignation letter (if it comes to that) about WHY I resigned (to take a full-time position w/ salary and benefits) so that future employers see that in my PRIA file if it shows up?

Opinions? Thoughts?

P.S.- There is a chance they may just let me out of the contract. When I was hesitant to sign in the first place, the DO mentioned they might be able to work with me if things were too slow to get by on. As of now, I have not given any indication that I am considering leaving.

Thanks in advance for any advice, and sorry for the long post!

Not that I have a job beyond flight instructing, but a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush......plus you gave your word (as a good moral character) that you would fulfill your year.

If the company's fortunes took a turn for the worse, and they lost a bunch of flying, putting you on the street, were you going to be looked after (beyond maybe crappy state unemployment)?

Nah...didn't think so.

My advice is to jump ship. Tell them that you really appreciate the opportunity, that youm had a great time and learned tons. Butyou have to look out for yourself and the other job would accomplish that.

Like I've said before here,even though you signed a contract,if your current company had tolet you go, they would in a heart beat.

Just be very diplomatic about it.

Good luck!

Tell your current employer the truth. Tell them you are concerned about having no benefits, etc. If your current employer wants to keep you around they will step up to the plate.

In the long run you have to do what is best for "you".

You really have to be careful not to burn any bridges in this business though. Some day you will be asking your current employer for a reference.

Good luck with your decision.

Training contracts are unenforceable anyway, bail, jobs and companys come and go, no company in the future is going to give you trouble about training contracts all they will want to know is your TT.

I think the only mistake you've made so far is seeking moral guidance on this board! :eek:

I agree with empenage.TC

Take the other job, and still offer to work for the old one part time. No contract to enforce, since you are, and have been only part time and are still willing to work.

Latest resources

Back