Monterey, CA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Duderino said:
Anyone ever stayed at the Days Inn in downtown MRY. Apparently the town is sold out, and Days Inn is even 220 a night. I went to the webpage and it looks awful.
Never stayed there just drove by it. My recommendation is to get a rental car and drive someplace else. Salinas, Watsonville, or even San Jose are less than an hours drive.

Duderino said:
Anyone ever stayed at the Days Inn in downtown MRY. Apparently the town is sold out, and Days Inn is even 220 a night. I went to the webpage and it looks awful.

wow...not good...i would try the Pacifica in Monterey or go down to Carmel if there is absolutly nothing in Monterey. There are a lot of options in Monterey- Hyatt, Doubletree. what is going on there? don't you have any marriott platinum pilots whose number you can use to force rooms in marriott?we do it when needed:)

Last edited:
semperfido said:
? don't you have any marriott platinum pilots whose number you can use to force rooms in marriott?we do it when needed:)
The problem with using the platinum/diamond status thing is they end up charging you $1000 for the smoking room, coat closet by the elevator and it takes about an hour to check in as they try and square it away. And impossible to get hotel room events like the Masters and Superbowl are considered "special" and not included in that platininum/diamond "force".

In other words, I haven't had much luck with using the status option. I'd prefer to get a non-smoking room for $200 at brand "M," than using my status to get a "room assigned at check-in" for $1000 at Brand H just down the street.

Last edited:
501261 said:
The problem with using the platinum/diamond status thing is they end up charging you $1000 for the smoking room, coat closet by the elevator and it takes about an hour to check in as they try and square it away. And impossible to get hotel room events like the Masters and Superbowl are considered "special" and not included in that platininum/diamond "force".

In other words, I haven't had much luck with using the status option. I'd prefer to get a non-smoking room for $200 at brand "M," than using my status to get a "room assigned at check-in" for $1000 at Brand H just down the street.

not our experience...i am specifically speaking to Marriott Platinum level..we have our scheduler make the reservation in advance using platinum status when nothing is avail to the average bear. Diamond???? don't know anything about that. He wasn't talking Super Bowl or Masters. We use that priviledge quite often and it works well (and we only pay a resonable rate).

Last edited:
Diamond is Hilton

Platinum overides at Marriott work well most of the time. I just tried to get rooms in Charlottesville, VA. with a Platinum overide. No can do, it's parents weekend at UVA.

I called the platinum direct number and discovered that platinum overides can be blocked out by local reservations for full service Marriotts and above (JW). It doesn't work at Residence or Courtyards, if the local res agent decides to block out rooms.

semperfido said:
Diamond???? don't know anything about that.
Diamond is Hilton's and Hyatt's highest level. Marriott and Starwood use Platinum.

Call it luck, but 2 weeks ago I tried to get a room at the Cabo Hilton, it was all sold out, call up the Diamond line, they said we can get you a room for $650, I said no thanks. The Westin just down the street was going for $169. Through the years that's been my experience using the "Diamond/Platinum" override.

Incidentally, I stopped using Marriott's program after I realized I could be Diamond at Hilton and Hyatt, and Platinum at Starwood all for the same number of nights it was taking me to achieve Platinum at Marriott:eek: .

Hey folks, I have to hop in here. I used to live in MRY and fly charter out of there a couple years ago. I am almost tearing up as I read this post as I loved MRY so much and I truly hated to leave. Down on mainstreet there are some awesome resturaunts suck as Lolapalooza and the English Pub across the street (forgot the name). I have to agree on the Fish Wife as its one of the best seafood joints I have ever eaten at. If you like authentic German there is also a place called Stampstich, looks it up in the phone book.

Dont stay in Salinas unless you want to get shot, there areant really any hotels there that are better than the days Inn in MRY.

Acquarium is awesome, spending some time on the wharf is cool and walking along the walk way from there to Canning Row is cool as well. If you have time hit the kyak rental shop and go out around the kelp beds, the seals mess with ya a bit :)

Oh yeah, one more idea for food, if you like Sushi there is a placed at the beginning of the commercial fishing wharf called "Sapporo", ask to get the sushi chef "Dragon" he is awesome.

Ok enough out of me, I have to get ready for a trip, I just had to chime in as I miss MRY alot, the previous posts are correct about Million Air MRY, Charlie is a really good friend of mine and Marilyn is a sweetheart.

Ciao,

Avrat

P.S. sorry for spelling if I messed up, I am in a hurry!!!!!!!!!!

avratdwc said:
Charlie is a really good friend of mine
Ya, good old Charlie Brown, he runs a great operation. Though I'm kind of disappointed they got rid of the CAA discount and the Avtrip points.

You weren't working for Woody where you?

I have to agree the English Pub that's located a block down from the Marriott has the best choice of beers in town.

avratdwc said:
Oh yeah, one more idea for food, if you like Sushi there is a placed at the beginning of the commercial fishing wharf called "Sapporo", ask to get the sushi chef "Dragon" he is awesome.

!!!

some people call that "Bait" :D

Latest resources

Back