• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Monitoring cockpit systems not easy for pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That must be an impressive list of transport category airplanes Howard.

The 747, 787, 777, 767, 757 and 737 are all capable of TOGA whilst coupled to the autopilot. In other words, when you press TOGA the autopilot stays on. I know, I know; It doesn't stay on when you you press TOGA in a Southwest 737.
I never claimed it to be an impressive list, I'm only typed in three!

Does TOGA activation disconnect the autopilot in AirTran 737's?

No. As long as dual channel is utilized. If only one (single channel) is engaged, pressing TOGA disconnects the autopilot.

Just giving you a hard time. Most modern medium body transport category airliners have this capability. That includes SWA 737s. SWA chooses to use HUDs to provide CAT3b capability instead of Autoland (Dual Channel approaches). I'm assuming its a money thing. Although your takeoff minima are 100 feet lower, so that's an advantage.

Last edited:
SWA chooses to use HUDs to provide CAT3b capability instead of Autoland (Dual Channel approaches). I'm assuming its a money thing. Although your takeoff minima are 100 feet lower, so that's an advantage.
It's always a money thing at SWA. I once watched one of our maintenance guys re-certify the HUD as capable of performing CAT III approaches after having been deferred and downgrading the aircraft to CAT I only. It took a total of about 5 minutes while sitting at the gate. When I commented how quickly that went he told me that is where the savings is realized with the HUD. Re-certifying autoland, autopilot coupled approaches to CAT III is apparently a very long drawn out process involving a trip to the hangar and complicated avionics testing equipment.

It's always a money thing at SWA. I once watched one of our maintenance guys re-certify the HUD as capable of performing CAT III approaches after having been deferred and downgrading the aircraft to CAT I only. It took a total of about 5 minutes while sitting at the gate. When I commented how quickly that went he told me that is where the savings is realized with the HUD. Re-certifying autoland, autopilot coupled approaches to CAT III is apparently a very long drawn out process involving a trip to the hangar and complicated avionics testing equipment.

Makes sense.

Although from a safety point of view, if you're tired I prefer the Autoland. The other downside of Autoland is the number of ancillary systems that can downgrade its status. Auto spoilers MEL ..... no more Autoland. The list goes on.

TOGA is an autopilot disconnect button in every transport category airplane I've ever flown.

I'm 50/50. One type it disconnects and gives you 10 degrees nose up on the flight director. The other (my current aircraft) it sets go-around thrust with the auto throttles and transitions the autopilot to the missed approach. I prefer the current setup. :)

Meh. Depends. TOGA works fine in most circumstances. Unless you've allowed it to REALLY deteriorate. If you get to a situation where you must turn the autopilot off (not want to, but must), that's a sign you've let things go way too far.

Which is the point. Recognizing "way too far" is easier for me when I'm good and proficient at hand flying- you sense it in your ass

you sense it in your ass

In one swift moment, Wave is immortalized in six carefully chosen words. The F.I. poster 'Uppercrust' is on the move. He's carrying a gallon of lotion and a ball-gag with "Wavey" tastefully monogrammed on it.

You wish dicko

And it's a stretch to find six words anywhere on FI that were "carefully chosen"

Dicko,

I was slightly skeptical of HUD flying when tired versus Autoland having used Autoland on the 727 and 737 for a number of years. Then I got to use it for real in SMF and SEA in the 1st month after Upgrade. I'll take the HUD every time. All the info right in front of your eyes while looking straight out the front.....it's awesome. Wait till you use it. You will love it. Kinda like the first time you use a NightForce Scope or a Trijicon ACOG on your AR....I actually did that?

Latest resources

Back