Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Bullsh/t.
SWA just got vnav. I had plenty of jobs that didn't- all the way down the line-

I said this from the beginning- our companies don't like this accident bc it highlights that pilots with flying skill are needed, when they want to move to single pilot ops to no pilot ops. They certainly want to believe we are overpaid for what we do.

What was the accident rate attributed to pilot error in the 60s-90s versus today?

Bullsh/t.
SWA just got vnav. I had plenty of jobs that didn't- all the way down the line-

I said this from the beginning- our companies don't like this accident bc it highlights that pilots with flying skill are needed, when they want to move to single pilot ops to no pilot ops. They certainly want to believe we are overpaid for what we do.

Playing the company devils advocate here, if this crew knew how to manage the automation, this accident would not have happened and therefore these arguments are baseless? Maybe the company would feel that crews need more training in automation management rather than that old school stick and rudder flying, after all these systems don't fail, or the failure rate is so minimal that these skills aren't needed anymore (except when they're needed)

What was the accident rate attributed to pilot error in the 60s-90s versus today?

Are you arguing for no pilots? No pilot skill?

SWA had no fatalities in 35 years until one snowy night in Chicago, where the transition to a simple auto-brake system played a contributing factor.

I'd say we have the benefit of automation, but also the benefit of learning from those accidents. And in many of those accidents in the 80's&90's automation and automation dependency killed a whole lot of people in that catch-all "pilot error" category. I see no excuse for companies to encourage automation "dependence" and pilots to allow for the erosion of their own physical and mental skills.

It's an attitude. Are you always mentally flying the aircraft, managing it- and automation helps and reduces fatigue? Or has it become necessary for you?

If you can't click EVERYTHING off, and fly the airplane as well as the autopilot, I believe you're being professionally lazy, and ultimately arguing against our value.

Asiana and the whole of Korea's accident history highlights the slippery slope of this

Playing the company devils advocate here, if this crew knew how to manage the automation, this accident would not have happened and therefore these arguments are baseless? Maybe the company would feel that crews need more training in automation management rather than that old school stick and rudder flying, after all these systems don't fail, or the failure rate is so minimal that these skills aren't needed anymore (except when they're needed)

I can't imagine how one could argue that in light of where the pilots got that airplane still attempting to push buttons?

Fly as good as the autopilot? You mean bust through level off by 100 feet then take its time to correct? Yeah, I think we could fly better than an autopilot. Now, better for 10 hours? No.

I can't imagine how one could argue that in light of where the pilots got that airplane still attempting to push buttons?

But they mis managed the button pushing right? If they had been expert button pushers then the accident would not have happened? So in the company's mindset they need better button pushers to fly the airplane, crappy button pushers didn't work so well.

Fly as good as the autopilot? You mean bust through level off by 100 feet then take its time to correct? Yeah, I think we could fly better than an autopilot. Now, better for 10 hours? No.

Please. Its 140 feet and it gives you a message when it's far too late. What more could we ask ;)

Now, lets get back to Wave, talking about Wave; his wealth, the eons it took to achieve a SWA job, cooking tips, Ab workouts and his stick and rudder skills.

Haha-
Haters gonna hate dicko

The workouts have been falling off and I'm as guilty as the next pilot of slacking with automation- not preaching- but that crash was ridiculous and it sure seems like the FAA wants us to be more like that

(But seriously, don't miss that quinoa and kale salad in PHX- so good:))

Last edited:
But they mis managed the button pushing right? If they had been expert button pushers then the accident would not have happened? So in the company's mindset they need better button pushers to fly the airplane, crappy button pushers didn't work so well.

Cruise control in a parking lot- maybe, just maybe a professional pilot ought to be masters at both- and have enough judgement instilled to know when to use which

You think?

Latest resources

Back