• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

MN crash

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm pretty sure considering KOWA is uncontrolled. I know when I listened to the recording there were some ancillary transmissions regarding a runway 31 which doesn't exist there.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone mixed more than one frequency into the recording. If it was done for dramatic effect that would be unconscionable.

As far as I know, MSP CTR is the controlling agency who cleared the flight for ILS30, freq. change to advisory, and the cancellation of IFR by the aircraft.

Everything else is UNRELATED.

It's my understanding that the ATC was from Rochester (RST) approach/tower, so that was the reference for rwy 31 and the microbursts. Interesting to note that they had the runway in sight and cancelled IFR prior to landing. Unsure how far out they were at this point.

You really gotta explain this little gem.

If your husband has fear of charter dispatchers and the places they want him to operate, he need not be in the cockpit of ANY airplane.

Safety is not optional!

Due to my hasty typing I realized after I posted that it looks that way. In fact, he is the bravest person I know for choosing to be a pilot. You all are.

My husband has over 5,000 hours of jet time with an excellent safety record and 0 incidents. He's lost engines and hydraulics and made it through. He always tells me he thinks about his family and that reminds him to take extra care in his flying. He used to tell me that when he was working with some jerk dispatchers at a small time operation, he would take measures to ensure the safety of all onboard or even refuse a trip if weather was a factor, but they may not take it too well. It was all about the customer getting what they want. Think about it, the customer has a meeting in one city and the plane is diverted to another location say 300 miles away from the destination due to weather. Is the customer going to be happy about it, or will they complain to the charter co.? The co. mgt. may not always see it the pilot's way because they are trying to build their customer base and make money. Most passengers don't know enough about weather to check it. They just care about their business and leave everything up to the pilots while they eat chocolate-covered strawberries and drink Perrier. There is no question about my husband's feelings on safety--he even advised a pilot not to take a trip due to weather one time. It ended up being that pilot's last trip--he didn't make it back.

I have a great deal of respect for all pilots and their families from freight dogs to airline captains. It kills me to hear about crashes, especially in 135 where I feel the risk is much higher for pilots.

I wish you all safe trips.

The audio clip previously posted has ground telling saying that the cones that were supposed to be on Echo were now on Juliet and would soon be "down near you". Was that at an airport other than OWA?

I am guessing the Rochester MN tower... Someone with more local knowledge could confirm that.

Also, does the Hawker 800 have reversers? I remember seeing one without them, just the lift dumping system.

RIP

The lift dump worked very well, all you had to do was crack the T/R's use lift dump and it slowed rapidly. I think I fully deployed the T/R's once in the 6 yrs of flying the hawker.

Due to my hasty typing I realized after I posted that it looks that way. In fact, he is the bravest person I know for choosing to be a pilot. You all are.

My husband has over 5,000 hours of jet time with an excellent safety record and 0 incidents. He's lost engines and hydraulics and made it through. He always tells me he thinks about his family and that reminds him to take extra care in his flying. He used to tell me that when he was working with some jerk dispatchers at a small time operation, he would take measures to ensure the safety of all onboard or even refuse a trip if weather was a factor, but they may not take it too well. It was all about the customer getting what they want. Think about it, the customer has a meeting in one city and the plane is diverted to another location say 300 miles away from the destination due to weather. Is the customer going to be happy about it, or will they complain to the charter co.? The co. mgt. may not always see it the pilot's way because they are trying to build their customer base and make money. Most passengers don't know enough about weather to check it. They just care about their business and leave everything up to the pilots while they eat chocolate-covered strawberries and drink Perrier. There is no question about my husband's feelings on safety--he even advised a pilot not to take a trip due to weather one time. It ended up being that pilot's last trip--he didn't make it back.

I have a great deal of respect for all pilots and their families from freight dogs to airline captains. It kills me to hear about crashes, especially in 135 where I feel the risk is much higher for pilots.

I wish you all safe trips.

Thanks for clearing that up.

He makes the safety decisions while the pax eat and drink......It sounds like your husband does, well, his job!

:)

Pretty misleading to throw RST ground control in there, but that's the media for you. RST is pretty close and the only controlled airport I can think of in the area with a RWY 31, but still far too distant to throw it in there as a comparison of weather conditions during that timeframe. That's sickening if they're trying to damn the pilots to John Q. Public with their "journalism".
If you ask me, their weather report from ATC sounded pretty decent, as if the storm had passed through. Who knows, we weren't there. A deer could have run onto the runway to cause a go-around, we'll never know. But the media disgusts me with their cut and paste of the audio.

I didn't get the impression this was journalism at work. It is simply a tape from RST with neither addition nor deletion for the significant time period involved. Are those prejudices I see in your post.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back