• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

MN crash

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Have you seen what a deer does to a plane? Besides, I never said they'd touched down. If I was on the ground, especially with TR's and/or spoilers out, I'm committed. What I was saying is the reason for a go-around could be anything they deemed appropriate, not just weather. CVR has been reported in good condition so we might just find out when the NTSB dissects it.
And yes, I know, stay away from Tstorms, but we don't know what they saw on their radar and GENERALLY once a line has passed, all is OK(minus a wet runway). Don't tell me you've never landed after a thunderstorm has passed or better yet waited for one to pass. I'm saying many of us might have done the same thing depending on how the info was fed to us. It'd be nice to know if they had XMWX.
KOWA is controlled by MSP center under IFR. So a scanner is the most likely reason for the two controllers being heard. But if it's a scanner why aren't all the other ARTCC freqs heard? Just the accident aircraft's freq and RST ground talking around 10am? Doubt it. And I highly doubt those were the only two freqs plugged into the scanner so I'm still thinking a little editing was involved.
Yes I am prejudice against the media. They've altered quotes from me personally just to make their story better and, yes, they used a tape recorder so no excuses. I pray the media wasn't intentionally trying to condemn these two gentlemen before the facts are out.
I think it's healthy to speculate what happened so we can all be conscious of it the next time out. But it's just dead wrong to conclude and condemn without being there, sitting in their seats.

I assumed that you read the eye witness report that the aircraft touched down and was referring to that scenario. (not saying that was accurate ) I have seen what a Deer does to an aircraft and that is why I would never go around for one post touchdown. I would rather hit it decelerating than accelerating. Airborne, I agree go around.

Based on the radar picture I saw, it is entirely possible to me that those were the only voices on the frequency.

Actually RST is the controlling agency for KOWA under IFR, Minneapolis Center/Approach takes care of the upper level stuff. I did a majority of my flight training out of RST and the area and have lived here my entire life. The reason you are hearing ground and approach on the same frequency is that when it is not busy one to two controllers work all three frequencies.

Sad Sad Day...

I would rather hit it decelerating than accelerating.

Good point.

piav8r, thanks for correcting me on that. I'd never heard RST control in and out of OWA and the chart says MSP center, so I took it as fact. I guess WCCO may just very well be vindicated. :) Interested to hear what's said on the CVR.

just curious what the 800 dry landing distance would be at 20C, pressure alt 1000 ft, typical BOW, 1500 lbs payload, IFR fuel reserve.

Thanks

Landing Distance

The chart goes from Sea Level to 2000 ft, so here are the 2000 ft numbers at Max Landing Weight of 23,350.

Unfactored Dry: 2780ft

Factored: Dry: 4630
Wet: 5320

At 21,000 (More Realistic)

Dry Unfactored:2450ft Dry Factored:4280ft Wet:4920

These are 0 wind numbers.

On the other hand, if you personally would go around for a Deer on the runway after touchdown you are asking for trouble.

Who said they ever "touched down"? I think they were slammed down or stalled down. 20 knots decrease in IAS which was reported by the pilot, maybe a second or two later they lost 50 knots and, well, you know..........

We'll find out all the facts soon enough.

It will be weather related though.

This is a very sad event.

I deal with pushy passengers by one simple sentence "Sir/Maam , I also have a vested interest in arriving safely."

That usually shuts em up.

I like, "Safety is my concern, not your appointments."

And I'm not kidding, I've said it to many people.

i would love to say that!! dont know how well it would go over but, im with you on that!

They can take it as a joke or take it seriously, I don't care. I've had passengers kind of laugh when I would say it and some would just have a confused look on their face and go back and sit down.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back