• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

MKE Incident... first it was Pinnacle, now it's Mesaba

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Are you reading my posts? We are NOT second guessing the pilot. It soinds like maintenence may have been the issue here. We may never know.

Are you reading my posts? We are NOT second guessing the pilot. It soinds like maintenence may have been the issue here. We may never know.

If you don't know, why not just say you don't know. We aren't playing charades here. "Sounds like" is not a legitimate clue.

Shimmy damper, etc.

Just for a factual piece of discussion, I've heard now that a strut that had been written up for a "shimmy" during taxi somehow caused an alleged hard landing that blew two tires and blew apart the strut assembly? Which wheel assembly are we talking about here (nose, left main, right main)? I had assumed that we were talking about a main strut here but main struts don't cause a "shimmy" while taxiing no matter how you slice it.

I've been flying this plane (unless this was a -900) for over 10 years now and this story just isn't adding up yet.

929 is, in fact, a -900. And there is, in fact, a "shimmy damper" installed on the main landing gear. If a main gear -in fact- cannot shimmy... then one wonders why they would install such a worthless paperweight to an otherwise uncluttered maingear assembly? :confused:

See the Shimmy Damper for yourself

Latest resources

Back