• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Misuse of Frequency 123.45 Hz.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I live in Oklahoma and I always use 123.45 as a air-to-air chat when I'm flying cross country with another airplane. Even if I'm by myself it's always entertaining to listen to the 80 year old pilots screaming into the frequency "BILL... YOU ON HERE??" "BILL, WHERE ARE YOU NOW... I JUST PASSED A RAILROAD OFF RIGHT SIDE, I BELIEVE I'M SOMEWHERE IN WEST KANSAS."

The other designated frequencies (122.75, and 122.85) always seem to be flooded with traffic, and its worthless to try and use.

I've always heard that 123.45 wasn't a "party line" but no one has ever shown me any definitive proof that it's not. I'm not too worried where I'm at with interfering with any trans-oceanic traffic. :)

I too have grown weary of pilots using the freq while oceanic talking about their FRA or CDG layover :rolleyes: It only became an issue once while over Greenland and we were trying to relay an emergency divert for an Otter to Shanwick.

PUKE
:puke:

I'm aware of this, but most people aren't. When I'm flying around with a smaller group I try to convince them that we use 122.75 instead, but with a larger group, forget about it.

By the way one time I was listening to 122.85 and there was an AWOS on it, WTF

Last edited:
Those that say that use of 123.45 MHz as an air to air BS frequency is prohibited are correct.

The allocation (not assignment) charts in FCC and IRAC, clearly set forth that 123.325-123.475 is assigned to "Flight Test," as is 123.525-123.575. See 6050.32A, Appendix 2, Page 1. The AFTRCC was the moving force in getting that portion assigned for exclusive discrete frequencies within the FCC allocations, starting in the very early 1960's. It was intended to provide those frequencies to aircraft manufacturers (Gulfstream, Lockheed, Boeing, Learjet, Cessna etc.) to permit A/G communications and telemetry with test aircraft in flight.

It's pretty annoying to be out in W157A or W158C doing critical flight test and have some yahoo come up on one of our assigned frequencies and transmit to some other bubba, "I'm getting 138 true how fast are you goin'?"

Here's the current FAA oceanic guidance.

http://www.faa.gov/ntap/NTAP06APR13/PART3_SEC2.HTM

In the Pacific Region 123.45 MHz is used as a backup to 121.5 MHz

GV

Msy Awacs

Over the years, I've heard that 123.45 for a BS freq is not to be used.. Nedless to say, I hear so many rumors from ingnorant pilots that I didn't know if there was any truth to that. I did hear someone come on that freq once and say that transmissions must cease on that freq or FCC violations would ensue. Didn't know if that was someone of authority, or just some d!ck head pilot. I was finally convinced that 123.45 should not be used when I was flying to MSY the Friday after Katrina. Before entering the restricted area, the NOTAM stated to contact AWACS on 123.45. Very interesting I thought.

FN FAL, to whom are you calling a d.a.?

Check 6

Reference 100 ft. over the Med - did you work for Corporate Jets, Inc (or their predecessor) out of Capodichino?

GV

GV, you are close. I worked for Flight Intl. at Capodichino from October 1999 until January when the funding was cut off.

I suspect you were flying C-21A's out of ETAR during that time frame. If so, we have probably met.

You must cease all chit-chat immediately and use the proper chat forum. All other posts will be reported to the FCC and Moderators for disciplinary action.

:D

Latest resources

Back