• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

UndauntedFlyer

Ease the nose down
123.45 Hz misuse.

Frequency 123.45 Hz is frequently being misused by GA aircraft for air to air communications. The only correct frequencies for this type of communications are 122.75 and 122.85.

While many GA pilots continue to incorrectly use 123.45 for air to air communications (for whatever reason) they should be aware that that frequency is designated by the FCC for use by other aircraft during oceanic operations.

123.45 is used by all air carrier aircraft as they coast out (Atlantic and Pacific) for international flights.

If 123.34 is used by GA aircraft for communications while flying in non-costal areas this is not correct but doesn’t really cause any problems that I am aware of. A problem does occur when GA aircraft actively use this frequency for air to air communication in coastal areas. All air carriers and any other aircraft that are beginning or completing their oceanic crossings are switching to or still using 123.45 Hz at that point. GA pilots using 123.45 Hz for air to air communications in those costal locations should be aware that every transmission made by them is being monitored by many aircraft.

Improper use of VHF frequencies could result in violations by the FCC/FAA so be aware of this.

Questions/Comments are welcome

UndauntedFlyer said:
123.45 Hz misuse.

Frequency 123.45 Hz is frequently being misused by GA aircraft for air to air communications. The only correct frequencies for this type of communications are 122.75 and 122.85.

While many GA pilots continue to incorrectly use 123.45 for air to air communications (for whatever reason) they should be aware that that frequency is designated by the FCC for use by other aircraft during oceanic operations.

123.45 is used by all air carrier aircraft as they coast out (Atlantic and Pacific) for international flights.

If 123.34 is used by GA aircraft for communications while flying in non-costal areas this is not correct but doesn’t really cause any problems that I am aware of. A problem does occur when GA aircraft actively use this frequency for air to air communication in coastal areas. All air carriers and any other aircraft that are beginning or completing their oceanic crossings are switching to or still using 123.45 Hz at that point. GA pilots using 123.45 Hz for air to air communications in those costal locations should be aware that every transmission made by them is being monitored by many aircraft.

Improper use of VHF frequencies could result in violations by the FCC/FAA so be aware of this.

Questions/Comments are welcome

Nerd alert, nerd alert!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Slice121 said:
Nerd alert, nerd alert!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:
Without citing relevant facts, it might as well be the church lady saying it.

123.45 Hertz, would be 123.45 cycles per second...that's like twice the speed of the AC coming out of your wall socket. Try MHZ.

Last edited:
Abuse of 123.45 is a problem, and it is in fact drawing attention from “The Powers That Be”. However most of the abuse that I endure is not from GA, it is from certain American carriers whining to each other. One airline in particular.

I am pretty laid back about this sort of thing, but this is getting way out of hand. One of these days somebody is going to have something important to say, like their executing contingency procedures, and people are not going to hear it either because of the yapping itself or the volume being turned way down in numerous cockpits who got tired of hearing the details of the 36 hour FRA layover or the plans for golf next week or the vile, evil management pilot.

It is not a party line, it is not a CB, and those of you chatting away are not nearly as important or interesting as you think you are.

There. I feel much better

Oh, yikes....I thought it was a party line that didn't come out of my paycheck!

Not anymore:(

Oh no the FAA/FCC is coming after me for 123.45 use?

eeech

This issue comes in cycles. 123.450 MHz has been a flight test frequency for years, going back to the 80's. In the late 90's ICAO designated it an Oceanic Frequency for air-to-air advisories, but for Oceanic Airspace only.

Believe it or not, the FCC in years past has caught and fined pilots for using this frequency for chatting. I would not be surprised if they do some enforcement again. This translates to hefty fines.

You do the crime, you pay the fine.

There needs to be two or three more air to air frequencies... 122.75 and 122.85 are impossible to use most of the time in my area.

Latest resources

Back