• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Misuse of Frequency 123.45 Hz.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This shortage of air-to-air frequencies is a decades old problem. Just recently the FAA stopped funding their project to increase the number of frequencies. The reality is that we are running out of frequencies in the VHF aviation band.

The only way now to increase the number of frequencies, without expanding the spectrum allocated to aviation, is to narrow the bandwidth of each frequency. This is what Europe (ECAC states) did in 1999 with the 8.33 Khz spacing, vs. 25 Khz spacing in the U.S. Europe increased the number of channels by a factor of three.

The down side is that everyone has to purchase new radios. I was flying in Europe when this change took place and the costs were significant, but there are now frequencies to give away.

The other issue is that ARINC has a monopoly on a big chunk of the aviation band spectrum. They will gladly rent a frequency out and allow you to use it. Such a deal.

I didn't notice too much abuse of 123.45 flying almost daily to the Caribbean or over the Gulf of Mexico. I must admit to occasionally using it to talk to other company traffic.

It is my understanding 123.45 was established for use in Oceanic Areas for crews to coordinate separation during weather diversions and emergency procedures in RVSM airspace.

I am much more concerned with the abuse of 121.5 in CONUS. I try to monitor Guard enroute but there is so much garbage on it I usually end up turning it off and forgetting to turn it back on right away. If a VFR aircraft goes down in a valley in the Rocky Mountains, their only option for line-of-sight VHF communication may be to an aircraft flying overhead.

FL420 said:
It is my understanding 123.45 was established for use in Oceanic Areas for crews to coordinate separation during weather diversions and emergency procedures in RVSM airspace.

FCC ONLINE TABLE OF FREQUENCY ALLOCATIONS​

47 C.F.R. § 2.106​

Revised on September 30, 2005

Federal Communications Commission​
Pg. 129

Air carrier aircraft stations may use 122.000 and 122.050 MHz for communication with aeronautical stations of the Federal Aviation Administration and 122.700, 122.800, 122.900 and 123.000 MHz for communications with aeronautical stations pertaining to safety of flight with and in the vicinity of landing areas not served by a control tower.

Frequencies in the band 121.9375-122.6875 MHz may be used by aeronautical stations of the Federal Aviation Administration for communication with aircraft stations.

US32​
Except for the frequencies 123.3 and 123.5 MHz, which are not authorized for Federal use, the band 123.1125-123.5875 MHz is available for FAA communications incident to flight test and inspection activities pertinent to aircraft and facility certification on a secondary basis.

US33​
The band 123.1125-123.5875 MHz is for use by flight test and aviation instructional stations. The frequency 121.950 MHz is available for aviation instructional stations.

:smash:​

Try Jumbo...127.475...nobody on there but a bunch of freight dawgs in Calif.

Eric

GENERAL REQUIREMENTS FOR OCEANIC OPERATIONS.
Frequency 121.5 MHz is not authorized for routine use; 123.45 should be used for air-to-air communications.

AERONAUTICAL INFORMATION MANUAL
Air-to-air communications & private airports (not open to the public). 122.750
Air-to-air communications (general aviation helicopters). 123.025

Last edited:
What the IFIM says:

FL420 said:

It's getting pretty bad when I start quoting myself.:rolleyes:

I looked in my six-year-old company International Operations Manual which stated air-to-air communications should be conducted on 131.8 MHz in the Atlantic, 130.55 MHz in the Caribbean and 128.95 MHz in the Pacific. I then looked in the current International Flight Information Manual which states 123.45 MHz should be used in the Atlantic, Caribbean and Pacific Oceanic Areas.

http://www.faa.gov/ats/aat/ifim/ifim0111.htm

International Flight Information Manual, The Federal Aviation Administration

Basic Oceanic Long-Range Navigation and Communication Requirements

a. Any operation which is conducted in international oceanic airspace on an IFR flight plan, a VFR controlled flight plan, or at night, and is continued beyond the published range of normal airways navigation facilities (NDB, VOR/DME), is considered to be a long-range Class II navigation operation…………

b. Federal Aviation Regulation 14 CFR Part 91.1(b) requires that civil aircraft must comply with ICAO Annex 2 when operating over the high seas…………

Use of Very High Frequency (VHF) and High Frequency (HF) for Communications
Due to the inherent line of sight limitations of VHF radio equipment when used for communications in international oceanic airspace, those aircraft operating on an IFR or controlled VFR flight plan beyond the communications capability of VHF will be required, as per ICAO, Annex 2, to maintain a continuous listening watch and communications capability on the assigned HF frequencies. Although these frequencies will be designated by Air Traffic Control, actual communication will be with general purpose communication facilities such as international flight service stations or Aeronautical Radio, Inc. (ARINC). These facilities will be responsible for the relay of position reports and other pertinent information between the aircraft and Air Traffic Control.

Special North Atlantic, Caribbean, and Pacific Area Communications
a. VHF air-to-air frequencies enable aircraft engaged on flights over remote and oceanic areas out of range of VHF ground stations to exchange necessary operational information and to facilitate the resolution of operational problems.

b. Frequencies have been designated as follows:

AREA
FREQUENCY

North Atlantic
123.45 MHz

Caribbean
123.45 MHz

Pacific
123.45 MHz

Guard of VHF Emergency Frequence
Pilots should remember that there is a need to continuously guard the VHF emergency frequency 121.5 MHz when on long over-water flights, except when communications on other VHF channels, equipment limitations, or cockpit duties prevent simultaneous guarding of two channels. Guarding of 121.5 MHz is particularly critical when operating in proximity to flight information region (FIR) boundaries; for example, on Route R220 between Anchorage and Tokyo, since it serves to facilitate communications with regard to aircraft which may experience in-flight emergencies, communications, or navigational difficulties.

REFERENCE- ICAO Annex 10, Vol. II, Paragraphs 5.2.2.1.1.1 and 5.2.2.1.1.2
:bawling: :smash:

FN FAL said:
Just south of Houston TX, a coastal area, listen up for SKYDIVING advisories on 123.45 Mhz...but don't expect to hear much on 123.45 Hz.

http://www.skydivespaceland.com/map.html

Many pilots just don't know that the use of 123.45 MHz is incorrect for this type of thing. Now in the above case it is likely that this group will get busted sometime if and when an FCC/FAA crackdown comes. The bad part is that they probably don't even know that what they are doing is a violation of anything.

If only they were members of FLIGHTINFO.COM then they'd know better.

Last edited:
You can't get blood out of a turnip. (Insert underpaid FO, CFI jokes here______________)

W

Check 6 said:
This issue comes in cycles. 123.450 MHz has been a flight test frequency for years, going back to the 80's. In the late 90's ICAO designated it an Oceanic Frequency for air-to-air advisories, but for Oceanic Airspace only.

Believe it or not, the FCC in years past has caught and fined pilots for using this frequency for chatting. I would not be surprised if they do some enforcement again. This translates to hefty fines.

You do the crime, you pay the fine.

UndauntedFlyer said:
Many pilots just don't know that the use of 123.45 MHz is incorrect for this type of thing. Now in the above case it is likely that this group will get busted sometime if and when an FCC/FAA crackdown comes. The bad part is that they probably don't even know that what they are doing is a violation of anything.

If only they were members of FLIGHTINFO.COM then they'd know better.
I don't care what your stupid ICAO treaty says, the FCC rules interstate commerce here in America, dumbass.

Once again, IN AMERICA...

FCC ONLINE TABLE OF FREQUENCY ALLOCATIONS​

47 C.F.R. § 2.106​

Revised on September 30, 2005

Federal Communications Commission​
Pg. 129

Air carrier aircraft stations may use 122.000 and 122.050 MHz for communication with aeronautical stations of the Federal Aviation Administration and 122.700, 122.800, 122.900 and 123.000 MHz for communications with aeronautical stations pertaining to safety of flight with and in the vicinity of landing areas not served by a control tower.

Frequencies in the band 121.9375-122.6875 MHz may be used by aeronautical stations of the Federal Aviation Administration for communication with aircraft stations.

US32​
Except for the frequencies 123.3 and 123.5 MHz, which are not authorized for Federal use, the band 123.1125-123.5875 MHz is available for FAA communications incident to flight test and inspection activities pertinent to aircraft and facility certification on a secondary basis.

US33​
The band 123.1125-123.5875 MHz is for use by flight test and aviation instructional stations. The frequency 121.950 MHz is available for aviation instructional stations.

Latest resources

Back