• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Mistakes because of Fuel Savings?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have no problem with SE taxi when its warranted. When you push back from ramp three in ATL, can look over your shoulder and see NO ONE in line for 8R, and even after asking, the CPT still says SE taxi, then I will do my best to take my time doing my checklists to make sure that we arrive at the hold short line with one engine running. SE taxi at any out station is complete crap. (unless its JFK,CVG, etc)

Contrails Inc. said:
With all due respect, the FAA doesn't really care that SWA lands safely on useable lenghts of 5400' or less on a day to day operation even if you are within legal book/fudge parameters. The only time they care is on the day a tire blows on your 737 upon landing on 35 @ PHL and you end up in the grass on the other end and have to evacuate pax. This possible risk to save SWA a few bucks on fuel? The paycheck may say SWA, but not the ATP.

FAR 91.3 Resonsibility and Authority of the Pilot in Command
December 10, 1964 FAA Administrator's definition was "the inherent responsibility for pilots to be alert at all times for, and in anticipation of all circumstances, situations and conditions which affect the safe operation of their aircraft." What the adminstrator was saying is that every situation or circumstance simply cannot be covered by publication or regulation.

Of course, FAR 91.3's hot sister FAR 91.13 Careless or Reckless Operation is the FAA's main course to fry your a$$ on.

Dude you don't have a clue what you are talking about. Stopping margins on the 5400 rwy can be as high as 2000+ feet depending on the weight of the 737, information made clear with onboard data SWA runs for each landing. The 50 seat CRJs don't have slats and their approach speeds are higher and their stopping capablities less. MDW has 4800 OR LESS ft. available (beyond GS) on their LONGEST runway yet ATA, SWA, Frontier, and others land 737's, A320's, and 757's there around the clock. At BUR the runways are even shorter yet Jet Blue, SWA, and other majors operate there all the time.

Contrails Inc. said:
FAR 91.3 Resonsibility and Authority of the Pilot in Command
December 10, 1964 FAA Administrator's definition was "the inherent responsibility for pilots to be alert at all times for, and in anticipation of all circumstances, situations and conditions which affect the safe operation of their aircraft." What the adminstrator was saying is that every situation or circumstance simply cannot be covered by publication or regulation.

Of course, FAR 91.3's hot sister FAR 91.13 Careless or Reckless Operation is the FAA's main course to fry your a$$ on.

Ah, the old standby. If they can't hang you under Part 121 they will always pull these out of their hat in front of the ALJ.

CatYaaak said:
Wow...you're serious.

Is anyone else here thinking "Captain Planet"?
Yes, and there is are a couple of cars in the garage with PZEV engines, one of them with sub seven second zero to sixty performance. If it makes no difference, why not make the choice that doesn't pollute as much? If they were making more of them and there was some product support on the East Coast, my family might be in the market for a Tesla.

Last edited:
CaptDave said:
ex j-41-

I understand and agree in some cases when some feel more rushed than other. In this case I doubt this was a factor. On the first flight of the day engine #1 would be started followed by engine #2 right afterwards to conduct a first flight of the day item. I believe this flight was a first flight of the day. (6:00AM) If it hadn't been then yes perhaps just #2 might have been running as they left the gate.
LEX is a short taxi anyway.... Even I would spin them both in the chocks.

John Pennekamp said:
Not sure, but I think they cleared the trees by 50'. If i'm not mistaken, the 35' only applies to engine out go. If they lost one, I'm sure they would have eaten trees.

If the weight and balance and performance numbers were calculated correctley and allowed the T/O and the crew used the correct thrust and flap settings it doesn't legaly matter what "would" have happened.

bailout said:
I have no problem with SE taxi when its warranted. When you push back from ramp three in ATL, can look over your shoulder and see NO ONE in line for 8R, and even after asking, the CPT still says SE taxi, then I will do my best to take my time doing my checklists to make sure that we arrive at the hold short line with one engine running. SE taxi at any out station is complete crap. (unless its JFK,CVG, etc)

Not always...

"Acme 1234: Burlington Ground, Newark just went into a ground stop expect an update at 0030 time now 2230"

I'm 99.9% positive both engines were started. That is SOP at Comair for the first flight of the day. Also, never flown in there with a CA who didn't spin them both at the gate/push when 22 was in use.

However, the procedures/checklists on the taxi are also much longer for the first flight.

With all due respect, the FAA doesn't really care that SWA lands safely on useable lenghts of 5400' or less on a day to day operation even if you are within legal book/fudge parameters.

Ok right out of the Op. Man. 737-800/cfm56-7b26

Normal config,Max Manual braking, 60,000 kg landing weight. Sea level, standard day, no wind, no slope, dry rwy, auto speed brake, Flaps 40, Full rev thrust = 860

Good 1375
Medium 1855
Poor 2395
MLW 66360kg (most, and I am to lazy to convert kg to lb just use 2.2)
Yes Boeing includes Rev. thrust in there landing figures.

So a bit more than a fuge factor.

fxbat said:
With all due respect, the FAA doesn't really care that SWA lands safely on useable lenghts of 5400' or less on a day to day operation even if you are within legal book/fudge parameters.

Ok right out of the Op. Man. 737-800/cfm56-7b26

Normal config,Max Manual braking, 60,000 kg landing weight. Sea level, standard day, no wind, no slope, dry rwy, auto speed brake, Flaps 40, Full rev thrust = 860

Good 1375
Medium 1855
Poor 2395
MLW 66360kg (most, and I am to lazy to convert kg to lb just use 2.2)
Yes Boeing includes Rev. thrust in there landing figures.

So a bit more than a fuge factor.

SWA doesn't fly the -800.

Latest resources

Back