Mistakes because of Fuel Savings?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ex j-41

Just a thought but how many people have you flown with are overly concerned with fuel burn?
I flew with this guy and he wouldn't let me start #1 till we were at least 2nd for takeoff, sometimes #1. When we go to airports like LEX we still go out single engine. Then when given the OK the F/O has to do the:
Before Start Delayed Items.
After Start Delayed Items,
Taxi Check,
Before Takeoff Check.

All right before takeoff. And we still has to make sure the Capt is going in the right direction.

So here is my .02, mistakes happen when you rush.

I don't get paid enough to rush. So don't make me.
I don't give a rats ass about the $2 we will save in fuel if we wait till the last second to start the other engine.
Just because you have been to that airport 1000 times doesn't mean that i have.
I will fly per the POH and FOM and if you don't like it then go to Go Jerks.

If you really care about your CEO's bonus then donate 10% of your paycheck to his family.

Can you tune your car radio and drive in the right lane?

Your'e in the wrong industry.......

CFIT said:
Can you tune your car radio and drive in the right lane?

Your'e in the wrong industry.......

Tuning a car radio and starting a turbine engine require slightly different amounts of concentration. Are you paying the guages the attention they deserve? If you are, are you also paying attention to your surroundings, and watching out the right window for potential problems? I agree that waiting till the last minute puts unnecessary pressure on the FO's. Of course, the FO should not have any problem teliing the Captain to slow things down. I imagine every airline has a warm up limitation till takeoff power can be applied. If the captain is waiting till you are number one for takeoff, they are almost certainly disregarding the limits.....

I suspect you are flying a CRJ. If this is true you can point out the fact that you must excercise a two minute warm up period after start and before advanceing the thrust lever. If you wait the two minutes you should have adequete to complete checklists.

ps. This is a pet peeve of mine also.

We have a cool down limit but not a warm up. And the cool down is 2 min.

Well the warm up period I believe came from G.E. Three would be ideal, but two is the minimum.

Last edited by a moderator:
2 MIN is a GE limit. Same thing on the CF34-10 engines. We use a 2 minute for cool down and warm up.

I'll typically ask the FO to start the #2 engine about three minutes prior to anticipated takeoff. The start takes about 35 seconds which leaves us at least two minutes of warm up time (required - four minutes if engine is "cold"). Never a problem with rushing or lack of SA in this case (but it sounds like our checklists are run a bit differently than yours).

After working for three different regionals, I have yet to have the Chief Pilot, DO or CEO for that matter, walk up and thank me for saving fuel by taxiing out on one engine. I'm still trying to figure out where these dollars of savings went to?? LOL It surely wasn't added into my Christmas Bonus separately? After all, line pilots are just lucky to have jobs at their meager salaries. Follow the checklist, taxi slow, be as safe as possible and your paid block times increase. There's your bonus. Saftey is no accident, it has to be planned. BTW, here's my reward for one engine taxiing.........

Bankruptcy
Furlough
Furlough

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back