Misery loves Comany: PCL to park 15 CRJs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Fly4hire said:
How about being furloughed from a $120K/yr job after 8 yrs (and 20 + yrs flying)at your airline, with kids in college and retirement looming because your company is in Ch11 and is outsourcing your job to $20K/yr FO's with little TT or expereince? Glad all you RedTail 9E/XJ guys and gals stick together. I notice that doesn't extend to the Red Tail from whence your jobs sprang and the pilots at NWA that your parasitic career is feeding on.

You have no idea how sick I am of listening to you guys drool about getting that 70/90 seat jet at the cost of more of our pilots, and now whining when someone parks one of you jets. We have 500 on the street, soon to be joined by another 400, with another 1000 possibly after that.

I realize it's our respective companies, not the pilots, but some of you carry on like the relatives fighting over the estate of a not yet dead relative. Shameful.

Perhaps if you "mainliners" hadn't been so dang holier than thou about these 'regional JETS' when they first showed up you wouldn't be b!tching about regionals stealing your jobs.
You need to smack ALPA for turning it's nose up when these RJ's first showed up. I would have rather not seen these things at a "regional" I would have liked to think I could some day work for a major airline..... I still won't call the Avro an "RJ" ...it is the same airframe that has been flown by a number of majors just with updated avionics.... big deal...the question is WHAT NOW?????

Back up WMUSIGPI,
Having jets at the airlinks is a relatively new thing and the market has been horrible just about since they got them. The AVRO's came in 97-99 and the CRJ's 99-?? The AVRO's were an exception to the NWA scope clause, mainline pilots fought hard then for the airlinks not to get them, and all of us were told it was a stop-gap airplane.

To everyone else,
To say that the airlinks are a drain on NWA or more precisely, the 50 seaters are a drain, is assinine. No widebody aircraft would move with the loads as high as they are now without the airlinks, so get off your high and mighty horse that they are not needed. The AVRO's and the CRJ44's are not efficient aircraft, because they could have more seats in them. I expect reconfiguring of these aircraft that are already on the property and staffed, to happen first, at the cost of NWA scope, through the BK judge, and against mainline's pilots will.

Will there be more 50/70/90 seat aircraft flying for redtail, probably. We need to stop bickering about who is going to get them and start working together to come to a mutual agreement on how we can all benefit (read save our jobs while not stealing others) As I have mentioned before, and Deli reiterated, this is the time for ONE LIST, flow up flow down (mainline HAS to start this process). Who cares who's name is under the window, it going to be painted in NWA colors anyway, you got the seniority, you can fly it. As for the payrates, remember the ORIGINAL rj (read DC9), had just about as many seats as these new jets. Lets not short ourselves into 50 seat rates on 70 aircraft. Competitive, but not given away.

One last point, there are alot of pilots at the airlinks that have the time and the experience to have been hired at all of the legacey carriers prior to 9/11. We are already paying the price for the poor economy in this industry, don't belittle us by saying that just because I didn't get hired and get a seniority number on 9/1/01 that I am less of a pilot and don't deserve respect. We fly more legs on any given day, to worse airports (when the last time a mainline aircraft shot an NDB), and probably carry more passengers in a year than a whale captain. We are equals and we are in this together.

airmasn said:
I dont see anyone drooling over any 70 or 90 seat airplanes here...we are all smart enough to realize that could be detrimental to our careers. And as for the parasitic career we all have here, Pinnacle and Mesaba make a ton of cash for NWA.

Plenty here do throughout this board. BTW the only way PCL/XJ make $$ for NWA is because of the subsidized fuel price ($ 0.85/gal) jet fuel NWA gives you via the ASA and the fee for departure. Pay the going rate for fuel and operating your (oops, NWA's) acft and you will look like Independence Air.

NWA is happy playing that shell game to labor's disadvantage at the mainline, but in Ch11 that's going to change, and is as events are proving.

Yeah, ALPA screwed up a long time ago allowing RJ's at the feeders instead of keeping them at the main line. That can also be partialy undone, and in the long run it will be to everyones benefit.

Think about the fact that the current announced furloughs will go back to ~ 1999 hires at NWA. There is going to be many more after that. Most of these pilots were flying at NWA before you even were out of flight school.

As to your vulgarity, it's a demonstration of both your age and inexperience.

Last edited:
Butters said:
I didn't realize anyone who had been at NWA for 8 years was on furlough. So what airline is it you speak of?

Current furloughd will be through ~late 1999 hires. Many more anticipated.

Butters said:
By the way, thanks for lumping us all together. There are several posts from 9E/XJ pilots wishing the best for NWA pilots. I have some good friends that are or will be on the street soon.

You are correct. It's easy get spitting blood mad at some of the posters here. They are not the majority.

Butters said:
Direct your rant at the people who caused this and not those that are paying the price just like you

I'd say the NWA pilots are paying a much steeper price. How many PCL pilots have been hired since 9/11? How many have and will be furloughed? Ooops, I forgot, there might even be some pilots that will have the required flight hour minimums when they get a chance to upgrade to Capt. on the CRJ. The pain, the pain.....

fly4hire

Lets talk about some pain. IF they Avros go and Mesaba doesn't get a replacement airplane, the furloughs at Mesaba will also go to around 1999. I believe that is the same as what you stated at NW. There is one small difference, however. The NWA pilots will all still be paid over 100K/year. You should try living on 30K/year doing the exact same job. Nobody feels sorry for the mainline pilots crying in their beer " I got a kid in college." So do a lot of other people.

Fly4hire
"Think about the fact that the current announced furloughs will go back to ~ 1999 hires at NWA. There is going to be many more after that. Most of these pilots were flying at NWA before you even were out of flight school."

Actually sir, I was hired at XJ prior to 1999, and one day would like to move on, but it is people like you that I need to move up or move on. With your attitude, I wish the latter.

"I'd say the NWA pilots are paying a much steeper price. How many PCL pilots have been hired since 9/11? How many have and will be furloughed? Ooops, I forgot, there might even be some pilots that will have the required flight hour minimums when they get a chance to upgrade to Capt. on the CRJ. The pain, the pain....."

I know you are discussing PCL in this quote, not XJ, but if it was meant to imply the Airlinks. Then I will say that about 85-90 percent of all XJ pilots were hired prior to 9/11, most have felt the effects of 9/11. I myself was downgraded for 2 years at a cost of 16,000 dollars a year (maybe not much for you, but alot for me), some were furloughed, rehired, and furloughed again (some 3 times). Last I heard the 50 seaters were tied into your scope, you had a voice in your vote, unfortunately (for you) majority rules. It is not PCL's pilots fault(?) that they got those airframes, and I am sure you would have taken a job there straight out of college if you had the ability. As I said above, lets work together to solve this. If NWA ALPA takes the road of AMFAA (isolating themselves), and tries to go it alone without XJ and PNCL, then they will be doomed. I personally would like to see all of the redtails not only survive, but thrive. Maybe then I could leave my pink SAAB behind.

Last edited:
CptMurf said:
Actually sir, I was hired at XJ prior to 1999, a one day would like to move on, but it is people like you that I need to move up or move on. With your attitude, I wish the latter....

I know you are discussing PCL in this quote, not XJ, but if it was meant to imply the Airlinks. ...... If NWA ALPA takes the road of AMFAA (isolating themselves), and tries to go it alone without XJ and PNCL, then they will be doomed. I personally would like to see all of the redtails not only survive, but thrive. Maybe then I could leave my pink SAAB behind.

Sigh....sorry for the rant. A lot of my vitriole is aimed at a very small minority of flame baiter pre-pubescent PCL new hires who don't have a clue.

Almost all the XJ folks I have worked with and come in contact with are nothing but top notch. I realize full well that luck and timing have more to do with this business than anything else.

As to NWA ALPA pulling up the rug, I think it's a done deal. They are a bunch of toothless old men who are peeing themselves over the pension, are focusing on everything else as a distant second, and think anything negotiated will be better than what they might get in court.

I envision you guys (sigh....) getting 70/90 seaters, a NEWCO type operation that hopefully will not go the way of mid-atlantic, and up to a total of 2000 NWA pilots on the street and at NEWCO. There will be mainline hiring at U before there will be at NWA again.

I apologize for the previous rants. I know it's not your guys fault, and that everyone is going to feel the pain on his to one degree or another......

Fly4hire.

I'd say the NWA pilots are paying a much steeper price. How many PCL pilots have been hired since 9/11? How many have and will be furloughed? Ooops, I forgot, there might even be some pilots that will have the required flight hour minimums when they get a chance to upgrade to Capt. on the CRJ. The pain, the pain.....

If you truly are at the majors and show this little respect for all the Ex. NW, DL, UA, CO, Comair, Indy, ATA, etc..... furloughed pilots at 9E, then you are truly a fool. We have had our pay sliced and diced, our benefits are worse, all our savings are gone a long time ago, and we still get up every morning we have to work, and do what we are expected to according to our sub-par working agreement.

I think most outside pilots would be surprised to find the # of well qualified pilots at 9E, both from own ranks and from other regionals, military and majors, who are working here because they are doing their best to reestablish their broken careers.

Have a nice day.......

When things get tense, it's easy to speak with emotion instead of our mind.

But anyway, here's a question, and I'm hopeing a few NWA guys can reply on this:
Scope - Limits set on 44/50/70 were set in place in 1998 when NWA was prospering in great amounts. Would it be reasonable that those need to be relaxed to make a 50 seat airplane a 50 seat airplane, and a 85 seat airplane a 85 seat airplane (if that will save it)? Most RJ's are very tight on profit margin as it is.

Looking said:
Fly4hire said:
Fly4hire..

If you truly are at the majors and show this little respect for all the Ex. NW, DL, UA, CO, Comair, Indy, ATA, etc..... furloughed pilots at 9E, then you are truly a fool.

He apologized for his comments in the post above yours 3 hours ago. Look above "Captain".

JEEEEEEEEEEZE

Looking said:
We have had our pay sliced and diced, our benefits are worse, all our savings are gone a long time ago, and we still get up every morning we have to work, and do what we are expected to according to our sub-par working agreement.

I think most outside pilots would be surprised to find the # of well qualified pilots at 9E, both from own ranks and from other regionals, military and majors, who are working here because they are doing their best to reestablish their broken careers.

Have a nice day.......

Yeah and you knew what the job description and pay was at your company when you accepted the position. What is your point.

Latest resources

Back