• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Misery loves Comany: PCL to park 15 CRJs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I dont really care if someone PFT or not...just as long as they passed the checkride there good in my book...just a quick question to those that hate it with a passion.. If you are offered a interview/job at SWA with no type rating ....is it ok to pay for your own 737 type rating to get the job?...isn't that in a way PFT...dont mean to cause any sh!t storm just asking a question....

stop the useless bickering and personal comments, stick to what we know about this situation....

this is what I have heard:

9E parking 15 a/c
XJ losing Avro's due expensive lease
Voluntary leave does not include pilot group
9E mgmnt said to MEC pilot group not facing furloughs at this time...
XJ cancelled all CRJ classes

Possible:
100 pilots to go?
XJ to get ERJ ?
9E new certificate to operate ERJ's with non-alpa pilot group
9E new certificate to operate ERJ's for Continental or Comair ?

anybody else?

oh, and this months bidding/scheduling/ID day fiasco has many people visiting their proctologists....

If leaves don't affect the pilot group and they're not affecting the SOC....whose left? FA's and station personell essentially....thoughts?

arthompson said:
If leaves don't affect the pilot group and they're not affecting the SOC....whose left? FA's and station personell essentially....thoughts?
Well I not completely convinced it will not affect the pilot group. We have high enough attrition that if there is any furlough it would be short in nature.
F/A attrition is equal to or higher than pilot attrition and F/A's only recently had thier first class after several months of no classes.

Out stations, domiciles, commissary, training, management, and clerks are ripe for furlough though. Last time we furloughed they really slimmed down base management (base managers, inflight managers, clerical). Granted we were 1/3 the size we are now, but MSP and DTW had 1 base manager for both bases for pilot's. Now we have Asst. CP's, Base mgr and Asst. Base mgr and each base has 3-4 inflight mangers.

Out station's would depend on frequency, lower frequency they will cut heavy and have 2 man shows doing everything.

Training for all groups would take significant cut's as well as HR.

Clerks were just about wiped out last time to as was the pass bureau.

When Nonconnah cut's they cut deep and with no mercy. Finally many other departments will see what the SOC and flight crews have been living with.

arthompson said:

So the furloughs won't affect SOC?? THANK GOD! I was on hold 48 minutes last night for a scheduler - I can't imagine if their staffing was any thinner than it is.

CL

Fly4hire said:
You have no idea how sick I am of listening to you guys drool about getting that 70/90 seat jet at the cost of more of our pilots, and now whining when someone parks one of you jets. We have 500 on the street, soon to be joined by another 400, with another 1000 possibly after that.

I realize it's our respective companies, not the pilots, but some of you carry on like the relatives fighting over the estate of a not yet dead relative. Shameful.
I'm thinking the regional's v. mainline pendulum is about to swing the other way after reading the posted NWA proposal for mainline.

Once the bottom end of NWA is competitive with the top end of their regionals, I expect to see cuts at the regionals. Just like what is becoming apparent with 15 pinnacle aircraft being parked.

It appears that NWA execs are going to screw everyone associated with them. If they get this second airline with a ton of 70-100 seaters.

1. NWA - Their pilots will be the ones to fly these new planes, which is good, but they are going to take an f/o making a lot of money and slash his pay all the way down to regional rates which im sure NWA pilots will not be happy about. At least they will still have a job though.

2. Mesaba and Pinnacle - Steeland wants this new airline to compete against pinnacle and mesaba, who have been helping him out for years. This is only my opinion, but i could see this leading to parking of avros, a reduction in the need for 50 seat jets, which may park many more of 9e's jets, which means more layoffs or concessions for mesaba and pinnacle if they want to be able to compete with this new airline.

Hopefully there is a way for mesaba and 9e to sign on with other airlines and fly for them as well, so that they can grow without putting all their eggs in steelands basket.

"In its Friday presentation to creditors, Northwest said, it is considering opening a subsidiary which would operate smaller aircraft with 70 to 100 seats. That could be an attempt to get around its contract with pilots, which requires all flights of 70 or more seats to be flown by mainline captains rather than lower-paid regional pilots.

Air Line Pilots Association spokesman Will Holman said the union believes flying by a subsidiary would also fall under its contract. The pilots union would consider a lower pay scale for flying those smaller jets, but would oppose shifting those flights away from Northwest pilots, said Northwest ALPA head Mark McClain on Thursday."

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/050930/northwest_creditors.html?.v=6

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back