Misdemeanor question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
32LT10 said:
If you have two candidates and one has a conviction for smashing mailboxes and the other was a law abiding student/citizen/young adult...
You can use assumptions to reward the one that didn't get caught doing anything wrong.

I think it is a non-issue... You can spin it to your advantage.

I learned from it yadda yadda yadda...

Unless the application asks about it then don't bring it up... You will pass the SIDA background check so in the end it doesn't matter imho. If you truly learned from it then you'll be fine.

I know of people with alot worse on their record than you that have had very successful aviation careers. Spin it as a "learning experience"

Way2Broke said:
I know of people with alot worse on their record than you that have had very successful aviation careers. Spin it as a "learning experience"

What did he learn? Next time, don't get caught :) And if you do get caught, don't voluntarily let the cop search your car.

Almost everyone has had a speeding ticket, which is a misdemeanor. We all were hired somewhere to fly airplanes. The misdemeanor is no big deal.

If I were making the hiring decision the issue of tearing up someone else's property would bother me. You will want to find a way to reassure the interviewer that you re-evaluated your actions and hopefully you and your buddies fixed the poor schleps mailbox.

Respect for other people's stuff is a big deal when the other person's stuff is a $25,000,000.00 aircraft. There is also the issue of whether you would allow a buddy in the flight deck to talk you into doing something dumb in the airplane. Also, those of us who travel for a couple of weeks at a time get really torqued when our mailboxes have been damaged and the mail has been re-routed, returned, lost, or run over and cut to shreds by the lawn service.

Almost everybody in the business has some sort of minor history. Don't sweat yours. Prove your resilience by not allowing this to slow you down.

Last edited:
Get it expunged and you can stop worrying about this issue.

Wrong ... wrong ... wrong. Run a search. No such thing where federal background investigations are concerned. Straight from the people who do them.

Geez!

~~~^~~~ said:
Almost everyone has had a speeding ticket, which is a misdemeanor.
A speeding ticket is a Motor Vehicle Code violation. It's less than a misdemeanor.

MalteseX said:
Get it expunged and you can stop worrying about this issue.

Most applications ask if one has been convicted. Having it expunged does not erase the fact that one was convicted. Answering "No" would therefore not be truthful and if somehow discovered, would most certainly lead to not being hired or even fired after the fact. If misdemeanor conviction is addressed on the application, answered factually and unemotionally. Do not bring it up in an interview unless asked and then calmly state the facts of the matter and how that is no reflection of your current self.

abxaviator said:
Most applications ask if one has been convicted. Having it expunged does not erase the fact that one was convicted. Answering "No" would therefore not be truthful and if somehow discovered, would most certainly lead to not being hired or even fired after the fact. If misdemeanor conviction is addressed on the application, answered factually and unemotionally. Do not bring it up in an interview unless asked and then calmly state the facts of the matter and how that is no reflection of your current self.

Get the advice of a lawyer; I'm sure someone probably said it before but it bears repeating. For example, in Ohio if you get something expunged it specifically says in the state law that you are not required to disclose your arrest or conviction to anyone, including a potential employer. Would I want to make absolutely sure it wasn't going to show up in a background check if I weren't going to disclose it in an interview? Absolutely. It would be far harder to try to clean up the mess if something were discovered after you denied everything. Would I feel guilty about not disclosing something in an interview in this case? Not at all. It's a right granted to someone who has had a run in with the law and I would be exercising that right. Just something to think about. I'm not giving legal or ethical advice.

abxaviator said:

Having a conviction expunged does indeed erase the conviction. It is legally as if the conviction never happened. At least this is the case in the state I'm am currently a resident of.....

Now, having said that. If somehow an employer discovers a misdemeanor conviction having been expunged and doesn't hire you for not disclosing it... well, they can do that. It is their company and they can hire who they want. Also, you may feel you are lying if you answer "no", as you indicated above. You feel they'd be lying; and I kind of agree with you.

However, in a pure legal since, the conviction was erased and it as if it hasn't existed, so you can "legally" answer "no". In fact, according to the laws of my state, if the expunged record ends up on a background check, the person at the agency that disclosed the conviction (that was under a court order to seal the records) are THEMSELVES guilty of a misdemeanor--and criminal action can be taken against the agency disclosing it---as well as civil action (lawsuit) against the agency conducting the background check.

I just did a background check of a couple of guys who disclosed to me misdemeanor convictions that had been expunged (I guess they were worried about it)..... the convictions did not appear on any of the material that came from the background investigation.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back